Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Quick water question.

I am new to the camping scene and plan to visit a few State parks this summer that don't have water hook ups. Can I fill my fresh water tank at the campground? I don't like to travel with the extra weight of the water. Any thought would be welcome
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

Yes. Double check the listing for the specific CG you are going to, but I have never run across one that doesn't either have a fresh water fill-up at the entrance, or in NY where we camp, there are water spigots every 10-12 sites along the road that you can use to fill up.

I think the majority of people going dry camping do this.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #3

Most State Campgrounds have water available at the dump stations and other areas in the park. I carry a couple of six gal. containers that I bought at Walmart to haul water with if I need to. My old TT I could just pour it in but my new 5W I have to use a pump to put it in.

Have Fun
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Always Learning

Usually, yes you can. You should check with the campground to find out where the fresh water fill(s) are. They sometimes are inconveniently placed.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

Yes, pull up while your close to the water spigot and fill up before you set up so you don't have to tote it if its far away from your spot. Make sure to ck the signs around, If it has a sign "not potable", don't use except to clean sewer hose, not saying your stupid but have seen people try to fill up at this because they didn't read the sign. Be smart if your going to be there a while get a couple of 5 gal. water jugs to fill up sometimes even 200 ft of hose won't reach. I got a small water transfer pump you hook up to a drill to get the water from one to another.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Yes, pull up while your close to the water spigot and fill up before you set up so you don't have to tote it if its far away from your spot. Make sure to ck the signs around, If it has a sign "not potable", don't use except to clean sewer hose, not saying your stupid but have seen people try to fill up at this because they didn't read the sign. Be smart if your going to be there a while get a couple of 5 gal. water jugs to fill up sometimes even 200 ft of hose won't reach. I got a small water transfer pump you hook up to a drill to get the water from one to another.

You got link to that pump? I may want to pick one up.

To the OP, just ask when you check in where the fresh water fill is located. In some of the parks you need to turn around, go to the dump station on the way out, fill up, then turn around again to get back into the campground. In some, you have to enter the dump station backwards. Some have a separate area. Etc...

Even if the park shows spigot's every few sites, don't count on being able to fill. First, most of them I've encountered are a threadless pipe, so you can't attach a hose without something like a water thief or a water bandit. Second, even the spot that's supposed to be right next to a spigot has been more than 100' from the spigot to the site.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You got link to that pump? I may want to pick one up.

To the OP, just ask when you check in where the fresh water fill is located. In some of the parks you need to turn around, go to the dump station on the way out, fill up, then turn around again to get back into the campground. In some, you have to enter the dump station backwards. Some have a separate area. Etc...

Even if the park shows spigot's every few sites, don't count on being able to fill. First, most of them I've encountered are a threadless pipe, so you can't attach a hose without something like a water thief or a water bandit. Second, even the spot that's supposed to be right next to a spigot has been more than 100' from the spigot to the site.
I carry 300 ft of Walmart RV Hose. Works great with a water bandit in most provincial parks.
B
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I carry 300 ft of Walmart RV Hose. Works great with a water bandit in most provincial parks.

B

My 125' was too short at Bronte Creek, and besides, the water pressure blew my water bandit apart. I was able to get it back together but I had to resort to using a collapsable 5 gallon jug to add enough to the tank to carry us through the rest of the trip.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

I got my water pump at Harbor Freight for about $30. It is 12 volt so I can either hook it to my battery or my Jump Start battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Denver, CO

You can also try Ebay "bottomdollarsurplus" as they usually have a pump or to pretty cheap.. Just wire acouple of battery clips and use that to transfer water. I have a 40 gal bladder tank that I up on the back of the truck behind the hitch and use that if I am needing to get water and don't want to move the camper. I also carry a travel tote to empty grey water ( but I try not to use it for black water, which usually lasts a week if I am careful.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #11

If you use the water at a dump site be real sure that the water is potable not all of it is.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
I don't like to travel with the extra weight of the water.
you do realize that the water weight will only reduce your gas mileage by a only a fraction of mpg?
the trailer's frontal air resistance is the bigger factor in gas mileage, way more than the extra weight of the water.

the only thing that makes sense not to carry water, is if you're towing with a marginal tow vehicle, which doesn't appear to be your case.

a lot of people think that the extra 200lbs.+ of water will save them fuel, when it only affects a fraction of a mile per gallon.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #13

Drill pump I got from Harbor freight for around $3. Search results for: 'drill pump'

Carrying a large amount of water long distance may not affect the mpg much but it does mean that you could carry more of something else. Depending on where your water tank is you may have to adjust your hitch if the trailer.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

For $3 that's worthwhile adding to the 'just in case' box. Now to find a harbour freight.....
Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you do realize that the water weight will only reduce your gas mileage by a only a fraction of mpg?
the trailer's frontal air resistance is the bigger factor in gas mileage, way more than the extra weight of the water.

the only thing that makes sense not to carry water, is if you're towing with a marginal tow vehicle, which doesn't appear to be your case.

a lot of people think that the extra 200lbs.+ of water will save them fuel, when it only affects a fraction of a mile per gallon.
I totally agree. It really doesn't cost that much to haul the water. Plus the wife and daughter can use the bathroom in the Fifth Wheel instead of those nasty bathrooms in the convenience stores.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
For $3 that's worthwhile adding to the 'just in case' box. Now to find a harbour freight.....

Lowe's also has the water pump you hook up to your cordless drill.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #17

I've been thinking along with many here, it's only a few hundred pounds of water at most. Just take it with you.

That said, gas stations, restaurants, truck stops, etc all have spigots. A brief conversation with the manager will usually get you fixed up especially if you buy something.

Good suggestion on checking to ensure it potable. It would make sense that it's the same source as the water fountain inside but it never hurts to ask!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #18

[QUOTE=SKnight;568054]I've been thinking along with many here, it's only a few hundred pounds of water at most. Just take it with you./QUOTE]

Yup -- "a pint's a pound the world around". So about 8 pounds per gallon. Roughly 320 pounds on a fully filled 40 gallon tank. Heck, I darn near weigh that much myself!

Also, most state parks (around here anyway) don't turn their water on until April 15th or later and shut it off around Nov 1. So if you're looking to squeak out every possible camping weekend like us, you might need to bring it with you anyway.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water