Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cold Spring, KY
Posts: 78
Quick water question.

I am new to the camping scene and plan to visit a few State parks this summer that don't have water hook ups. Can I fill my fresh water tank at the campground? I don't like to travel with the extra weight of the water. Any thought would be welcome
__________________

__________________
Tom & Terri
2012 GMC Yukon
2013 Roockwood Mini Lite
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,042
Yes. Double check the listing for the specific CG you are going to, but I have never run across one that doesn't either have a fresh water fill-up at the entrance, or in NY where we camp, there are water spigots every 10-12 sites along the road that you can use to fill up.

I think the majority of people going dry camping do this.
__________________

__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
kc8lvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 318
Most State Campgrounds have water available at the dump stations and other areas in the park. I carry a couple of six gal. containers that I bought at Walmart to haul water with if I need to. My old TT I could just pour it in but my new 5W I have to use a pump to put it in.

Have Fun
__________________
2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD Cummins
2017 Keystone Montana 3820 FK
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,999
Usually, yes you can. You should check with the campground to find out where the fresh water fill(s) are. They sometimes are inconveniently placed.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
mark0224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,443
Yes, pull up while your close to the water spigot and fill up before you set up so you don't have to tote it if its far away from your spot. Make sure to ck the signs around, If it has a sign "not potable", don't use except to clean sewer hose, not saying your stupid but have seen people try to fill up at this because they didn't read the sign. Be smart if your going to be there a while get a couple of 5 gal. water jugs to fill up sometimes even 200 ft of hose won't reach. I got a small water transfer pump you hook up to a drill to get the water from one to another.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Yes, pull up while your close to the water spigot and fill up before you set up so you don't have to tote it if its far away from your spot. Make sure to ck the signs around, If it has a sign "not potable", don't use except to clean sewer hose, not saying your stupid but have seen people try to fill up at this because they didn't read the sign. Be smart if your going to be there a while get a couple of 5 gal. water jugs to fill up sometimes even 200 ft of hose won't reach. I got a small water transfer pump you hook up to a drill to get the water from one to another.

You got link to that pump? I may want to pick one up.

To the OP, just ask when you check in where the fresh water fill is located. In some of the parks you need to turn around, go to the dump station on the way out, fill up, then turn around again to get back into the campground. In some, you have to enter the dump station backwards. Some have a separate area. Etc...

Even if the park shows spigot's every few sites, don't count on being able to fill. First, most of them I've encountered are a threadless pipe, so you can't attach a hose without something like a water thief or a water bandit. Second, even the spot that's supposed to be right next to a spigot has been more than 100' from the spigot to the site.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,279
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You got link to that pump? I may want to pick one up.

To the OP, just ask when you check in where the fresh water fill is located. In some of the parks you need to turn around, go to the dump station on the way out, fill up, then turn around again to get back into the campground. In some, you have to enter the dump station backwards. Some have a separate area. Etc...

Even if the park shows spigot's every few sites, don't count on being able to fill. First, most of them I've encountered are a threadless pipe, so you can't attach a hose without something like a water thief or a water bandit. Second, even the spot that's supposed to be right next to a spigot has been more than 100' from the spigot to the site.
I carry 300 ft of Walmart RV Hose. Works great with a water bandit in most provincial parks.
B
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I carry 300 ft of Walmart RV Hose. Works great with a water bandit in most provincial parks.

B

My 125' was too short at Bronte Creek, and besides, the water pressure blew my water bandit apart. I was able to get it back together but I had to resort to using a collapsable 5 gallon jug to add enough to the tank to carry us through the rest of the trip.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
kc8lvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 318
I got my water pump at Harbor Freight for about $30. It is 12 volt so I can either hook it to my battery or my Jump Start battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD Cummins
2017 Keystone Montana 3820 FK
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,100
You can also try Ebay "bottomdollarsurplus" as they usually have a pump or to pretty cheap.. Just wire acouple of battery clips and use that to transfer water. I have a 40 gal bladder tank that I up on the back of the truck behind the hitch and use that if I am needing to get water and don't want to move the camper. I also carry a travel tote to empty grey water ( but I try not to use it for black water, which usually lasts a week if I am careful.
__________________

__________________
2017 Fuse 23T
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.