Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

r-Pod and weight distribution

After several "edgy years" with only a sway bar on our r-Pod 177 and then having a "perfect" confluence of circumstances to give us a bad sway experience earlier this summer, we had a Trekker 600 sway bar system put on by our very experienced RV mechanic (30 years experience). It is worth every penny we paid as we can't tell we have a trailer behind us. We are sorry we waited so long. We have a Toyota Highlander to put the r-Pod. Just want to give anyone else out there encouragement as so many told us the r-Pod didn't need a weight distribution system. In the meantime, we got very good with the Prodigy brake, but this is such a dream. And we don't have to drive so slow. By the way, any other r-Pod user have tires that bend noticeably inward at top? Our mechanic thinks we probably have a bent axle, but it always looked like this and the r-Pod dealership thought it was OK. I'll attach a photo of the new system. Not sure this picture will post!
jimtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

I have BlueOx sway bars, pulling a Vibe 6504 with an SUV - is the weight distribution system something you did in addition to your sway bars, or did they replace them?

I have an issue with sway when I get to higher speeds, or if I don't move nearly everything from rear storage to the bathroom that is on the tongue.

Thanks!

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Too much weight in the back will reduce your tongue weight and cause stability problems. With enough of a shift not even anti-sway bars will be able to keep things under control. While folks with more expertise than me will likely chime in you want the weight distribution if the trailer to slightly favor the tongue side of the axles as opposed to the behind them.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A word of caution, make sure your vehicles are recommended for wdh. Some vehicles are not recommended for wdh by their manufacturers. Sway is usually caused by improper load distribution. Make sure you have given yourself enough tongue weight as too light in the front, too heavy in the rear is a frequent cause of sway.

For the question about wdh in place of sway control. A wdh simply redistribute the tongue weight of the trailer. When you hook a trailer to a tv with no wdh, the tongue weight can drop (or squat) the rear of the tv raising the front of the tv and lightening the load on the front axle. The wdh evens this back out ideally bringing the front axle back to its unchurched weight. This gives better control of the tv when towing. This does not prevent sway. A wdh can be purchased with integrated sway control (ie reese dual cam or equal-i-zer). Or you can use a friction sway bar with a basic wdh.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Found through experience (had R-Pod 178) that a single axel trailer tends to sway more than a tandem. Had sway control only on my Pod & it helped some. Went to Flagstaff 21FBRS & it tows much, much better.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #6

I appreciate the help in understanding this issue. It is weight distribution & speed that seem to make the most difference.

I am going to slow down, for sure - but it looks like we are stuck moving almost everything from our storage compartment to the bathroom while driving & back when we are parked. We are on a long road trip, so this is every few days for us.

I mentioned elsewhere that all the heavy stuff is behind the single axle toward the rear in the Vibe - the storage compartment, spare tire, fresh water tank, battery, hot water heater & pump, the propane tank. A lot of weight to balance out.

Thanks again!

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

r-Pod and weight distribution

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412614561.054577.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	64184

This is what I drive and tow. A 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited pulling a 2014 RP 171. I have wd and friction saw control. No problems with sway. I carry a lot as this is my home.

Brandi
Lost in the ozone, full timing it to AZ for the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Attachment 64184

This is what I drive and tow. A 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited pulling a 2014 RP 171. I have wd and friction saw control. No problems with sway. I carry a lot as this is my home.

Brandi
Lost in the ozone, full timing it to AZ for the winter.

I hate auto correct. What was supposed to be said was, "I have wd and friction sway control".

Sheesh!

Brandi

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight