Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namchief

I agree I set mine up as a carport so I can have My Harley under it. I use L.A.N to secure the base of the poles. btw L.A.N is Long ***** Nails.. I also use Camco De-Flapper Max, I have 4 of them but have only had to use 2 so far.

Eric
Are the De-Flapper Max straps as long as the regular De-Flapper? I'm looking to get a set and from pictures I've seen they look shorter. I ask because my awning fabric is probably 6 or so inches from the support bars.
2004 Polaris 330 magnum
Bear the Labrador
cootr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Whats the use of an awning if you can't use it in the rain? I would seriously question the competency of the person who told you this. Simply tilt one end so the rain water rolls off. If there are high winds along with the rain, then yes, you'd most likely have to roll it in. We tie our electric awning down in light winds and roll it up if we're going to be gone for the whole day or if high winds come up.
X2, I agree, awnings are useless unless you can use them in the rain. With tie downs and the posts, we really have to have a strong wind before we roll it in. We usually have a sunscreen on it to also help hold it down in conjunction with the posts and tie downs.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootr68

Are the De-Flapper Max straps as long as the regular De-Flapper? I'm looking to get a set and from pictures I've seen they look shorter. I ask because my awning fabric is probably 6 or so inches from the support bars.
Cootr I have a Set id sell you if your interested.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
If there are high winds along with the rain, then yes, you'd most likely have to roll it in. We tie our electric awning down in light winds and roll it up if we're going to be gone for the whole day or if high winds come up.
The only problem with tying an electric awning down, is that if the winds do get up suddenly, by the time you untie it, you may not be able to roll it up before the wind folds it back over the camper roof!
Hearing that others have gotten special order manual awnings, I am unhappy that I did not INSIST on it as well. They are far stronger, and in the end, far less trouble.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
The only problem with tying an electric awning down, is that if the winds do get up suddenly, by the time you untie it, you may not be able to roll it up before the wind folds it back over the camper roof!
Hearing that others have gotten special order manual awnings, I am unhappy that I did not INSIST on it as well. They are far stronger, and in the end, far less trouble.
Ask 100 people....50 will tell you not to tie it down and 50 will tell you to tie it down. If it's tied down and a wind comes up, I have no intention of rolling it back up unless the wind is what I would call "gale force." And even then, I'd have to contemplate if I'd do more damage by leaving it tied down or by trying to roll it in. No issues in that department so far.....so we'll keep tying it down in windy conditions.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Now that I have self storing posts & lock for my electric awning, I like it better than the manual ones we've always had especially now that f1100turbo came up with the remote control and RHuser wrote out instuctions for me to wire it. I can stow it in less time than it takes a manual to stow one of the posts.
How do the sef storing posts and lock work? I am new to the RV world and have an electric awning on my camper. Can you get post and lock for any electric awning or only specific types?
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
How do the sef storing posts and lock work? I am new to the RV world and have an electric awning on my camper. Can you get post and lock for any electric awning or only specific types?
I made my own which can be seen in my albums.
Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Awning lock

Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Power Awning Tie Down (Self Storing)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #28

Rain? Here on the wet coast, it rains a LOT! We were camping in a c/g this past weekend with a couple hundred other campers and most had their awings out. It totally poured one day. Normal stuff for folks here. No worries about awnings as long as you have it tilted on one side and there is no pooling as mentioned. Only worry would be wind as stated.

The only thing we find about camping during rain is that if you are near trees, you can easily get a bunch of tree droppings and crap on the awning. I try and hose it clean as well as possible when packing up to leave. Dirt can also pile up against the awning supports if you have them in vertical position, so I hose them down too. Would rather clean the awning in the campground than in the driveway at home.

BTW, within 1 minute of starting a campfire this weekend, it started to rain. A lot of rain. Sorry everyone.... 3rd camping trip this year, 3rd time it has rained just after starting a fire.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Rain? Here on the wet coast, it rains a LOT! We were camping in a c/g this past weekend with a couple hundred other campers and most had their awings out. It totally poured one day. Normal stuff for folks here. No worries about awnings as long as you have it tilted on one side and there is no pooling as mentioned. Only worry would be wind as stated.

The only thing we find about camping during rain is that if you are near trees, you can easily get a bunch of tree droppings and crap on the awning. I try and hose it clean as well as possible when packing up to leave. Dirt can also pile up against the awning supports if you have them in vertical position, so I hose them down too. Would rather clean the awning in the campground than in the driveway at home.

BTW, within 1 minute of starting a campfire this weekend, it started to rain. A lot of rain. Sorry everyone.... 3rd camping trip this year, 3rd time it has rained just after starting a fire.
Could you please send some of that rain to Southwest Wyoming? We are drier than heck here and could use some!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning