Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

? re: cleaning tanks

Hello,
we just got a new, used 1992 camper. It was very clean so I am sure it was well taken care of, but I was wondering what I should do to clean out the tanks before we use it. Can I fill with water and add clorox and let set a while?
Thanks
sprint180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

RV-Digest-It was made for this situation.

Add 1 QT of RV-Digest-It to each holding tank (not fresh tank though) and fill each with fresh water.

Let sit a minimum of 72 hours; then dump with a clear elbow on your dump hose.

Flush black tank with a "sewer wand" or Turboflush if equipped.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...&DID=10&CID=38

If it will not flush clear repeat.

Unique RV Digest-It Unique Distributing
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sprint, a 1992 is an old trailer. What make and model is it? Also, does this trailer have a hot water heater and what kind of pipe does it use (Pex)?

To answer you question in general, though...

If you are talking about sanitizing the fresh water tanks, drain the fresh water tank of any water, then refill halfway with clean, fresh water.

Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water.

Pour this mixture into the fresh water tank.

Top off the water tank with fresh water. Drive the rig around the block to mix the solution.

Pump water through each faucet in the kitchen, bath and outside shower if it has one so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach. Might as well look for leaks at this time while you are at it.

Assuming this has a hot water heater, the hot-water tank could hold 6-10 gallons of water. Run the hot-water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot-water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank.

Let the water stand for several hours.

Drain the entire water system including the hot-water tank.

If you want to remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank. Fill again with fresh water. Run faucets and drain again.

You're done!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

Oh well I'm not sure what kind it is, I am not around it. or the pipes. But thank you for the help. everyone here always is very helpful when someone has a question. When I give my husband the list of what all he needs to do I'm sure he will be thrilled.
sprint180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I think you will need to do both. The RV-Digest-It will remove buildups of grease and crap from your tanks. You will still need to sanitize the fresh water system to include the fresh water holding tank prior to use.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint180 View Post
Oh well I'm not sure what kind it is, I am not around it. or the pipes. But thank you for the help. everyone here always is very helpful when someone has a question. When I give my husband the list of what all he needs to do I'm sure he will be thrilled.
That's okay. Let us know if you need clarification.

The make and model and a little info about the system on an old trailer helps to make sure we are talking the same things. A trailer or 5er will usually have a number of tanks, water heater, pump, and multiple faucets while a small popup will be very simple. Our first Jayco popup had a very small fresh water tank and a sink with a faucet that you pumped by hand. No black water because no toilet and no grey water, water heater or electric pump. Very simple.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad