Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Remove decals easily

A glorious day to you all!
I have a 2018 fiberglass side 295QSL8. It had decals on it like "Keyed Alike". I did not want to advertise to would-be thieves that if they hacked one lock they could hack them all. Removing the decals by just peeling them off does not work. I used a handheld steam maker, like for drapes and such to heat the decals and they pulled right off. Using a blow dryer on a hard side RV is NOT a good idea, the finish pops off or even the sides can delaminate costing thousands to fix.
I had one paper-based decal glued on that advertised for the mfg of the composite sides. The steam maker took that one off as well but i did need a PLASTIC scrapper as an aide. There was glue residue left behind on only that one. I used GOO b gone as directed and it worked perfectly removing the glue. Tip: use very, very hot water to wash off the glue residue and GOO b gone.
I have attached a couple pics.
I got the steamer at a local 2nd hand store for 3 dollars. You can get a good one online for 20-30 dollars.
https://www.amazon.com/
search for handheld steamer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steam.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	169335   Click image for larger version

Name:	goo.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	169336  
bum4heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I have a few stickers to remove from the new to us coach and this may be just the solution. I did not want to use chemicals to remove them.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #4

One word of caution on using things LIKE Goof Off. I used Goo Be Gone on some sealant that the factory drooled all over the back of our TT. It not only removed the sealant, it removed the paint! Might work OK on fiberglass but on the painted aluminum be careful - you may get a surprise.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

WD-40 is an excellent adhesive goo remover
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

I’ve had good luck using LPS-1 Greaseless Lubricant to remove adhesive goo left behind when removing stickers. It also works on Dicor after scraping most of it off. It won’t damage or stain paint or plastic.

Unfortunately, it’s not cheap. The cheapest I can find it is $10.52 on eBay for an 11 oz aerosol can. WD-40 is cheaper but I haven’t tried it because I had a couple of cans of LPS-1 in the garage.

The steamer is a good idea. It also might help to remove most of the Dicor when changing vents or whatever on the roof.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote