Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Smile Removing bugs from the front of your TT

Everyone here probably has already heard of this tip, but I thought I'd share for newbie campers like us. So... we brought our new Shamrock hybrid home from it's maiden voyage. While cleaning it up, we moved to the outside where we began giving it a good washing. Came to the challenge of bug-removal from the front of it after towing. We were too tired to run out and pick up some kerosene, so I went to the internet for advice. Come to find out that a Bounce fabric softener sheet dipped in a little warm water and rubbed over those little stinkers makes short work of bug removal...they literally just melllllt off. It leaves a little bit of a milky film, so we swished over that with a little dish detergent (in our case the Dawn brand) in a bucket with some warm water, and then rinsed with a hose. My DH who is generally non-plussed at household cleaning tips was totally blown away. It made short work of what we thought was going to be an [ongoing] ordeal. For us, this was an "oh wow". Take care, and happy camping to you all from Karen, Mike and the terriers Oliver and Bennie (Utah).
Mike Ridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Thanks... this idea will come in handy when the "love" bug season starts in FL.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

The softener sheets work well on the bugs but I don't think I would use dishwashing soap on the outside of the trailer. It will remove any protective covering you might have (such as wax!). Use car wash diluted as suggested on the bottle. Let the bugs soak for a few minutes. It will help the softener sheet work.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Where was this tip last year when I went through a bug storm just south of Redding, California. It took me a full 6 hours to get all the little buggers off. I'll be ready with some bounce next time. Great tip!
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
The softener sheets work well on the bugs but I don't think I would use dishwashing soap on the outside of the trailer. It will remove any protective covering you might have (such as wax!). Use car wash diluted as suggested on the bottle. Let the bugs soak for a few minutes. It will help the softener sheet work.
Dishwashing soap is about as mild a detergent as you can find. Have used it for years and it never did remove the wax. But, everyone has to use his/her own judgement. Old carpet folded so the nap is out also does a good job removing bugs.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

jeesh and the Canadian I talked with said I should try 80 grit to get rid of the Canada June bugs which have been out for a month now.

I'll try the bounce sheets and the automotive wash after. Will then follow up with RV wax I purchased last month
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
jeesh and the Canadian I talked with said I should try 80 grit to get rid of the Canada June bugs which have been out for a month now.

I'll try the bounce sheets and the automotive wash after. Will then follow up with RV wax I purchased last month
A steel wire brush on a grinder takes them off in a flash!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #8

I found the mr clean magic eraser pretty effective also.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Another way I found (and this isn't most practical in all cases) is to wait until there is a good soaking rain coming down and drive in it at a reasonable speed. If the rain is long enought and gentle enought it sure does soften the buggers up and they wash off with a squeezee at your next fuel stop.

As I said it isn't the most practical way, but it works.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Snowsail

Quote:
I use a car soap and a nylon stocking. No it's not mine, and I use it on my hand not on my head. Works well, and feels good too.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

Sorry but can't always wait for rain. The dead love bugs in FL will actually begin to eat the paint off your car if you don't get 'um off soon enough!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #12

A good coat of Nu-Finish wax makes it a LOT Easier to get the bugs off too.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Happy Camper

Quote:
Dishwashing soap is about as mild a detergent as you can find. Have used it for years and it never did remove the wax. But, everyone has to use his/her own judgement. Old carpet folded so the nap is out also does a good job removing bugs.
From a former detailer....dish soap removes wax! You never want to use dish detergent washing a vehicle unless you plan on waxing it afterward. Was one of the things we did first to used cars that came into the dealership that got full details. As far as the dryer sheets, heard of that before but never used it. I like using a "bug sponge", foam wrapped in a soft nylon like netting, cuts bugs off pretty easy and doesnt scratch the paint. What i did do to my new 5vr is put a two coats of sealer on the front, two coats of liquid wax and two coats of paste wax before the first outing. When we get home I fill my wash bucket up with hot water and spray the front down with the hose and let it stay wet for a little while then wash with my normal brush, bugs come right off, if I have any stubborn bugs the sponge comes out. FWIW my opinion is wax wax wax and you will be happy you did!
Happy camping!
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsail View Post
I use a car soap and a nylon stocking. No it's not mine, and I use it on my hand not on my head. Works well, and feels good too.
Silk is better but costs more. At least in Eastern Canada they do anyway.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #15

I have found that Avon bubble bath removes bugs from autos and campers great and doesn't seem to do anything with the finish. Have been using it for years.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #16

Are the aerosol cans of bug remover safe to use?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #17

better than the acid rain from a few years ago when Maple leaves off the trees in eastern Canada made permenant imprints in my paint.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

I have found that by far the easist way to get bugs off the front of the rig is to have the wiff do it........

but i will suggest she give the dryer sheets a go......

always trying to find ways to make her life easier......
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug removal, bugs, exterior cleaning