Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I honestly don't know why people get stressed getting fuel while towing a trailer. I have yet to see a gas station that I cannot get my truck/trailer in and out of.

Sure, I have had to wait on someone to clear the pumps so I had room. It happens sometimes. But I've never experienced the bowel-loosening dread that some folks here say they have. Is it a fear of getting in and then getting stuck?

My advice is take your truck and trailer to a big empty parking lot and practice. I do it with every trailer I buy. I use my local high school on a Sunday. Take traffic cones or something tall but light/soft. 2 liter soda bottles with sand in them and a short section of broomstick sticking up out of them works well. Take a helper too. Set up your cones to practice making right-angle turns between two of them. Start with the cones wide apart and have your helper bring them together a foot or so at a time. You will learn exactly how much 'gap' you need to make a turn. Practice backing too. I look for how much angle I can get between the truck and trailer before I cannot 'catch' the trailer and stop the jackknifing. An hour of practice will totally eliminate the stress of maneuvering in tight spots.

This is my local station, and I have no issues running my truck/trailer to it for fuel. BTW, the pumps on the left are the only ones with diesel. As you can see, it's tight. But I know what my set-up will and won't do.
Smart car and Scamp?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
Learning as I go

Hi. 2002 Shamrock. Had wheel bearings and brakes done 3 years ago, about 6k miles on them. Planning on a 2600 mile trip this summer. Question: should I have them checked and re packed /changed for trip?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Smart car and Scamp?
LOL! My trucks tires weigh more than a Smart Car. Below is the full-size picture of my set up. That about 20 feet of truck and 31 feet of trailer. With the axles so far back from the tongue, its not exactly nimble. But it backs up really nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big unit.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	72094  
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Truck stops are usually OK but many do NOT have gas pumps out with
the big rigs so I have to negotiate that turn out right in front of
the quickie mart. Some are fine and some are ..... we ain't going in there.
A few truck stops now have RV gas pumps off to the side but not many.

Still- the only time I've ever ran out of gas it wasn't because I couldn't
get in the station- it was because I forgot to try!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #15

We use Truck Path app for truck stops, pick the stations we will need along the way and check them on satellite view so we can see exactly which pump, how much room, etc.. Been very helpful for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Remember, if traveling in Oregon, you can't pump your own....really slows down the process. Sometimes they just give you a ticket and you take it inside to pay.......after 10 other people paying for what-ever.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #17

I use several things for gas.
1. My Garmin RV can highlight gas station locations. I'm pretty sure many of the other RV Gps companies products can do the same.
2. There are FREE apps for Smart Phones for PILOT/Flying J and Loves Truck Stops
3. The Next Exit Interstate app the LLP's mentioned earlier is great.
4. The Co-Pilot GPS/mapping app which runs about 10 bucks has gas stations as points of interest available with a button press and will list the mileage to each in order of closest to your present location. With built in maps that do not rely on a 4g or 3g signal...it is an excellent choice.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: TA / PETRO also has an app. Haven't used it because of georgraphy but similar to the ones I do use including current gs/diesel prices and all services & ameneties at each stop.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote