Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Road signs

After buying my first camper in 2003 ( 35 foot wilderness advantage 5 wheel ) and after several hundred miles of highway heaven towing I would always get stressed out when it was time to fuel up . I've had my share of stations that are either way too small or are 5 miles off the exit. Now with a new tt(2015 vibe ) the same stress just many years later lol you would think that with as many campers on the road that they would have some kind of an rv friendly sign for gas stations just a though

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Always Learning

The taller the sign, the bigger the station. Or so the saying goes.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Use truck stops as much as possible to get gas, there should be enough room to get to the pumps and back out on the highway. Always fill up before you hook up to leave. When you take a break look up the next gas stop and find the cheapest place and look on a map like google earth to see if you can get in and out easy. Smart Phones are a wonderful travel tool. If not taking a break have your copilot look these up.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

I was recently turned on to the truck stop refill method and made my last trip so much easier. So I pre plan the route based on distance per tank with smart phone and we get out and stretch a little bit more.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Broken Toe

I honestly don't know why people get stressed getting fuel while towing a trailer. I have yet to see a gas station that I cannot get my truck/trailer in and out of.

Sure, I have had to wait on someone to clear the pumps so I had room. It happens sometimes. But I've never experienced the bowel-loosening dread that some folks here say they have. Is it a fear of getting in and then getting stuck?

My advice is take your truck and trailer to a big empty parking lot and practice. I do it with every trailer I buy. I use my local high school on a Sunday. Take traffic cones or something tall but light/soft. 2 liter soda bottles with sand in them and a short section of broomstick sticking up out of them works well. Take a helper too. Set up your cones to practice making right-angle turns between two of them. Start with the cones wide apart and have your helper bring them together a foot or so at a time. You will learn exactly how much 'gap' you need to make a turn. Practice backing too. I look for how much angle I can get between the truck and trailer before I cannot 'catch' the trailer and stop the jackknifing. An hour of practice will totally eliminate the stress of maneuvering in tight spots.

This is my local station, and I have no issues running my truck/trailer to it for fuel. BTW, the pumps on the left are the only ones with diesel. As you can see, it's tight. But I know what my set-up will and won't do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-24 09_22_31-Express Mart - Google Maps.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	72081  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

I try and time my bladder stops with fuel stops and truck stops are the best place to do both. If a semi can get in, so can I.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Traveling with a 32 ft. fifth (our second, since stepping up to this size in 2007-2008), we discovered "Next Exit", a really useful book that's updated regularly. It highlights those many different exits, stations, etc. that allow us to make good decisions.
https://www.thenextexit.com/
Add to this a Rand McNally Motor carriers atlas edition (large print version) gives good road choices (truckers' routes make pretty sure that clearances, widths, etc. will fit our rig Before we drive up on them).
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-M...truckers+atlas
And finally a good GPS; everyone has their own favorite.
Tie all this together with my great DW Navigator, particularly when she argues-out loud-with "The Sisters" voices on our GPS, and it makes for lively, enjoyable road time, with fewer "surprises".
Travel Well!

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I try and time my bladder stops with fuel stops and truck stops are the best place to do both. If a semi can get in, so can I.
That's what I figured - but the 2 worst places I have ever pulled into were both Pilot truck stops. They must have a standard site plan because both were setup the same way. The gas pumps were in front and very close to the road and the store with parking spots so close to the pumps that I had to wait for somebody to leave the store to get out of the pumps.

The diesel islands out back were huge with easy access, but no easy access gas islands for RV's.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I honestly don't know why people get stressed getting fuel while towing a trailer. I have yet to see a gas station that I cannot get my truck/trailer in and out of.

This is my local station, and I have no issues running my truck/trailer to it for fuel. BTW, the pumps on the left are the only ones with diesel. As you can see, it's tight. But I know what my set-up will and won't do.
You've not traveled extensively in New England I take it?

Your local gas station is ENORMOUS compared to mine! Single pump island, 12-foot clearance on the canopy, original gas station layout unchanged since 1947 when it was built! Only thing is that the service bays were closed and converted to a mini-mart. It's so tight that the modern tankers actually have to fill the underground tanks for it off the side road because it cannot be negotiated by anything over about 50 feet.

Nonetheless, I'm with you and will negotiate a lot of places my fellow campers won't even blink at going by. DW nearly had a hemorrhage last year when I negotiated a corner Burger King lot too when I saw further down the main street that carnival banners were strung across the road lower than our rig. Granted, we're only running 45-foot overall, but she didn't appreciate me within inches of parked cars spinning around. The key, I think, is you must completely know the size and maneuverability of your setup and be comfortable with it. If not, plan accordingly and definitely take advantage of the truck stops, super WaWa/Sheetz/Royal Farms/and your regional equivalent super-sized mini marts!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
You've not traveled extensively in New England I take it?

Your local gas station is ENORMOUS compared to mine! Single pump island, 12-foot clearance on the canopy, original gas station layout unchanged since 1947 when it was built! Only thing is that the service bays were closed and converted to a mini-mart. It's so tight that the modern tankers actually have to fill the underground tanks for it off the side road because it cannot be negotiated by anything over about 50 feet.

No. I've only rented cars when I had to go out east for work. But we have those types of stations too. This one is in a neighboring town. I've never fueled up at this particular one, but I have used stations like this with the trailer.

I'm not saying I actively seek out these tiny little stations. Far from it. I prefer the big truck stops if I can get one. But if the Big Unit needs a drink, or Mama-bear needs a potty break, I'll take what I can get.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-03-24 10_27_26-sinclair gas station festus mo - Google Maps.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	72085  

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Sure, I have had to wait on someone to clear the pumps so I had room. It happens sometimes. But I've never experienced the bowel-loosening dread that some folks here say they have. Is it a fear of getting in and then getting stuck?

My advice is take your truck and trailer to a big empty parking lot and practice. I do it with every trailer I buy. I use my local high school on a Sunday. Take traffic cones or something tall but light/soft. 2 liter soda bottles with sand in them and a short section of broomstick sticking up out of them works well. Take a helper too. Set up your cones to practice making right-angle turns between two of them. Start with the cones wide apart and have your helper bring them together a foot or so at a time. You will learn exactly how much 'gap' you need to make a turn. Practice backing too. I look for how much angle I can get between the truck and trailer before I cannot 'catch' the trailer and stop the jackknifing. An hour of practice will totally eliminate the stress of maneuvering in tight spots.

Smart car and Scamp?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Learning as I go

Hi. 2002 Shamrock. Had wheel bearings and brakes done 3 years ago, about 6k miles on them. Planning on a 2600 mile trip this summer. Question: should I have them checked and re packed /changed for trip?
olatelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Smart car and Scamp?
LOL! My trucks tires weigh more than a Smart Car. Below is the full-size picture of my set up. That about 20 feet of truck and 31 feet of trailer. With the axles so far back from the tongue, its not exactly nimble. But it backs up really nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	big unit.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	72094  

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Truck stops are usually OK but many do NOT have gas pumps out with
the big rigs so I have to negotiate that turn out right in front of
the quickie mart. Some are fine and some are ..... we ain't going in there.
A few truck stops now have RV gas pumps off to the side but not many.

Still- the only time I've ever ran out of gas it wasn't because I couldn't
get in the station- it was because I forgot to try!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #15

We use Truck Path app for truck stops, pick the stations we will need along the way and check them on satellite view so we can see exactly which pump, how much room, etc.. Been very helpful for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Remember, if traveling in Oregon, you can't pump your own....really slows down the process. Sometimes they just give you a ticket and you take it inside to pay.......after 10 other people paying for what-ever.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #17

I use several things for gas.
1. My Garmin RV can highlight gas station locations. I'm pretty sure many of the other RV Gps companies products can do the same.
2. There are FREE apps for Smart Phones for PILOT/Flying J and Loves Truck Stops
3. The Next Exit Interstate app the LLP's mentioned earlier is great.
4. The Co-Pilot GPS/mapping app which runs about 10 bucks has gas stations as points of interest available with a button press and will list the mileage to each in order of closest to your present location. With built in maps that do not rely on a 4g or 3g signal...it is an excellent choice.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: TA / PETRO also has an app. Haven't used it because of georgraphy but similar to the ones I do use including current gs/diesel prices and all services & ameneties at each stop.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote