Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Roof Replacement

I have a 2005 Flagstaff 27BHSS. Due to hail damage the dealer sent it to the FR factory to have the entire roof replaced, not just the rubber membrane but the entire roof. My question is has anyone ever had anything like this done by the factory and if so, what should I look for to ensure the job was done right.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

While I have replaced the rubber, never replaced the wood. Patched a 5th wheel where the tree was lower that the roof the guy towed it under. Basically you can't tell much. When the dealer calls and says it is back, tell him to set it up, level and stab jacks down, just like you would be camping. When you get there, ask for a water hose, and spray the roof and trailer. Then get a ladder, go up and look for standing water, (low spots). There may be a few, palm sized or so, normal, but you don't want to find anything large. Might also get up there and walk around, check for soft spots, sagging, etc. About all you can do is a visual, and good luck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

You probably had some soft spots develop in the wood where the wood got wet due to the damaged rubber. Once the wood got wet, it was probably hard to dry under the rubber (no light and no air) and created a haven for mold to develop. That does not mean that mold did develop, but the conditions were there. I would probably feel good about it going to the factory which is where the real experts are located. How long had you had the damage before discovery?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

I had the rubber replaced in March. Then we had a hail storm in May which damaged the roof, gutters, and window screens on my house. I checked my trailer but didn't see any visible damage except for a broken tail light lens. In Nov. I was winterizing the trailer and checked the roof and found bubbling of the the luan in one area. That's when I took it back to the dealer. Also, I think the new roof will have a "dome" to it as well as being an inch thicker.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

With damage occurring in May and discovery in November, I can understand replacing the wood. Once the wood got damp, there was no way for it to dry. I am not familiar with the anatomy of the roof, but if there is an underlayment between the rubber and the wood and the underlayment got wet and stayed wet that means the wood was wet for 6 months. It makes sense to me that the conditions were such to cause damage to the wood – especially when the time factor (May to November) included.

It sounds like you're coming out on top - roof 1 inch thicker and "dome."
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

When it was time to replace my roof on one of my trailer I had the rubber menbrane replaced with a aluminum roof. I told the dealer to replace the top sheet with a thicker wood and I made a good decision. THE NEW ROOF WAS VERY SOLID AND i DID NOT REGRET THIS DECISION.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7794 View Post
I have a 2005 Flagstaff 27BHSS. Due to hail damage the dealer sent it to the FR factory to have the entire roof replaced, not just the rubber membrane but the entire roof. My question is has anyone ever had anything like this done by the factory and if so, what should I look for to ensure the job was done right.
We had hail damage in august. It dented the plywood roof. The dealer repaired it in november. They said that because the plywood was glued to the frame it would be nearly impossible to remove it, so they put wood filler in the dents and overlayed it with new plywood, and a new roof.