Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
You might consider Fishing bridge like Oakman said. We stayed at YVI and we liked it, but you spend so much time backtracking getting back inside the park. We spent some time in Cody, so we stayed there to be in the middle. We'll be at Fishing bridge next time. I think it will be more relaxing. When everyone else was relaxing for the evening. We had another hour + of driving ahead of us just to backtrack over the same road in the morning.

2012 F150 4x4 5.0
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26bh
God Bless America
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
You are planning a trip of 5000 plus miles in 30 days? 4 days at Yellowstone and 6 days other places. That means that you will be doing 250 miles behind the wheel for 20 days. We are doing a month trip to Death Valley from Denver, doing the southern route and still not being able to see all that we would like to. and then a month later we are planing to do a month trip to the Pacific NW by way of YS again not able to see all that we want too. For some 300 miles a day would be OK other like to plan a trip only doing 150 or less miles a day.
The information you have gotten here on YS is right on. We did 4 day last Sept and going back for 6 days this year, It is a big park.

Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
This is our first trip out so all will be a learning experience. We have not made reservations any where other than Yellowstone because we don't know exactly where we will be at any given time going to play it by ear.
Frank & Eve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
From the experienced RVers....advice needed for a month long trip in June. Plan are to travel out west for the entire month of June. Wondering which route would be best. Plans are to leave from Arkansas head toward Yellowstone then on to Oregon down the Coastline hwy into Ca. Then on to Albuquerque then back home. Or if doing it in reverse would be better? Wondering about bad weather in early June in the north country ?
In a month? you do realize that a conservative estimate of this trip is @ 5,300+ miles? (More like 5,700 with detours and so forth)

(Yellowstone->OR->CA Coastline is what get you here)

I plotted a Little Rock->Yellowstone->Eugene->CA Coastline to LA->AZ->NM->Little Rock route here to illustrate:

Might I suggest direct to Yellowstone, then down to visit Bryce canyon, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater AZ, Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings CO, Santa Fe & on to Albquerque then home? (Save the west coast for a completely different trip)

You can absolutely occupy a month on the above itinerary - AND still feel like you were rushed! (While in Albquerque, don't forget to go down to bosque Del Apache Bird Sanctuary - although it is more amazing in the Winter it is still pretty cool in June!)

Santa Fe & ALBQ can occupy 3-5 days each (I know I lived in NM for 10+ years

N NM & S CO are can easily get sucked into several days there! and Mesa Verde is AMAZING!

Driving across AZ is BRUTAL (again experience talking and I was pulling a popup at the time...)

Oh, and driving across TX to get home is MO BRUTAL (again experience speaking

Just some food for thought
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
I always recommend to folks who plan to visit Yellowstone to be sure to take at least one day and visit Grand Teton National Park. GTNP is just 5 miles from the south entrance of Yellowstone and the fee you pay to enter Yellowstone is good for GTNP too.

1ACamper is right, Yellowstone is a big park. It is larger than the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
That is a considerable area of the country to cover in a month. Wow. I feel rushed getting down the OR coast, upper CA and back through Crater Lake in a month. I feel like I miss a bunch even then. You can easily spend weeks just seeing Yellowstone and Teton.
2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Team
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
same thing goes for California.
if you are expecting to camp in California, in June, you better start making reservations!
you'll be lucky to get anything in the California state parks system. coastal sites may already be gone.
So true! It can be hard to find a day available during peak season. Reservation window opens 7 months in advance and within 5 minutes some of the more popular parks are 100% sold out.

The county parks and private are usually busy too but you might have better luck with them. You can set up notifications with ReserveAmerica if a site opens up due to cancellation.

From what I read about the mileage I can see the value in the suggestion to save the West Coast for another trip. June & July are super busy here in California because school is out.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant
IMHO, you're biting off a huge mouthful of a trip!
i agree that you should scale back your expectations, especially since this is your first trip.
otherwise, you'll be pushing yourself just to get to the next stop, making it a stressful experience.

often, people from the Midwest and East, have NO idea how big the West is and how long it takes to drive.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote