Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

RV Antifreeze Into Fresh Water Tank

Some use a pump to push antifreeze through the fresh water system, but some of us just put it into the fresh water tank and let the coach's pump do the work. A problem doing this with our Sunseeker is that the tank fill is high and trying to hold a funnel and the antifreeze over your head is asking for trouble. A 2 liter soft drink bottle is a perfect fit for the tank fill. I use a funnel from the kitchen to fill the bottle from the antifreeze jugs. I don't want anything from a funnel from my shop to be washed into the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Antifreeze Into Tank.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	43438  

Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

It seems to take almost forever to get the taste out of the pipes without using the tank. Has to take (really) forever to get it out using the tank.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

why would you need to put antifreeze in the FW tank?
nearly all RV forums i frequent, advise against doing that, since a drained FW tank has plenty of room for what little water is left, to freeze and expand.

many also comment about the taste and swear that they'll never do it again, because it took so much water to flush the taste out.

that's why antifreeze kits attach at the water pump, so that none of the antifreeze gets in the FW tank.
same goes for the water heater. drain that sucker and bypass it, no AF needed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

I would never put A/F in my fresh water tank.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
why would you need to put antifreeze in the FW tank?
nearly all RV forums i frequent, advise against doing that, since a drained FW tank has plenty of room for what little water is left, to freeze and expand.

many also comment about the taste and swear that they'll never do it again, because it took so much water to flush the taste out.
He is using the tank to hold the antifreeze and then the pump to circulate the antifreeze thru the lines, not to keep the fw tank from freezing. Evidently doesn't use the pump to directly suck the antifreeze from the jug thru the lines.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

Regardless of your choice to run AF through the FW tank or not, using a 2 liter bottle to fill with is using your noggin' and may help out somebody else that chooses to treat their FW tank as well.

Good on ya!
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

no sense in treating something you can drain just as quickly. Probably takes way more antifreeze this way too as I'm sure it doesn't draw from the very bottom of tank. I can winterize my 30ft Wildwood that has an outside kitchen also with only 4 gallons, and that's using 1 to dump down all the drains to fill P traps.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

I had a trailer that the water lines were clamped onto the pump and fresh water tank. The water lines could not be removed. The only way to put AF into the system was putting it into the FW tank.
caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

I always add the RV anti freeze in the fresh water tank and pump it through.
When I de-winterize, I drain, flush with about 10 gallons of water, add 5 gallons of vinegar, flush and drain, add about 10 gallons of water and three boxes of Baking Soda ( not powder), flush, drain and fill with water.
Never had issues with freezing or with taste or odour.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It seems to take almost forever to get the taste out of the pipes without using the tank. Has to take (really) forever to get it out using the tank.
Taste in the water? Why would you drink it?

Seriously, I haven't had a problem. When I dewinterize it, I dump the antifreeze out of the water filter cannister, run water into the fresh water tank with the drain open, let it drain completely, and repeat a time or two, then run the pump to flush the plumbing. Trying to flush the system with the canister still full of antifreeze could be a problem. Incoming water would have to slowly dilute what's in the canister rather than push it out the way it does in the tubing.

By the way, when I winterized today I used 3 gallons of antifreeze, including what I dumped in the traps and the black water tank. I'm generous with it. I run the faucets a long time and check the color to be sure it's nice and pink. The cost of one extra gallon is worthwhile to eliminate any chance of having something freeze. Of course, the coach has to be level so the antifreeze goes to the pump's pickup. If it was leaning the wrong way it would take a lot more antifreeze.

Tags
antifreeze, fresh water, tank, water, water tank