Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #21
Retired Panpsychist

Camco has a version of the Anderson Levelers that are shorter and work very well for those of us with tandem axles that are close together. They are an interesting honeycomb structure which grips most surfaces quite well. They do not work as well on sandy soil, however.

Also, leveling couldn't be easier with the LevelMate Pro 2. I can usually find the best spot in a campsite while remaining in the truck and just backing around a little while watching the app on my phone.

BTW - Stabilizers and front jack land on Lynx blocks with caps.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #22

I love my Anderson's (only2 yrs old at this point). I did have to cut one down for full use. If less than an inch off I only use 1.

I use lynx as well when in storage because I know how many I need and I just leave them in place. They are discolored but functional.

I did manage to screw up today and pulled forward doing this...took some thinking and a BFH to get it out without popping the tires. At least it didnt go vertical. I will likely end up replacing the tires this year and swap them for a small flat trailer I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_163625.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	210218
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #23

I'm an RV noob, but I'm pretty comfortable after using the Lynx levelers a few times. I use a big ol' builders level that tells me the amount of slope I'm dealing with, which makes it easy to create a chart of how many blocks I need for x degrees of slope.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
I use a big ol' builders level that tells me the amount of slope I'm dealing with, which makes it easy to create a chart of how many blocks I need for x degrees of slope.
So by builder's level, do you mean the optical tool? Do you carry it with you, or just to build the table? If you use something else at the campsite, what is it? Would you consider sharing the table of blocks/degree that you've built? So, lot's of questions from me! We've been camping a while, but as I noted above I'm switching to blocks.

Thinking about what you've done, I guess an alternative would be to use a string level... I could put the string on the ground at the opposite tire, then stretch it across to the low side. The distance measured from the level string would give me the exact height needed in blocks. I'd be "constructing" the right triangle directly rather than calculating it using trigonometry with the measure angle. (Who said we'd never use [slightly] advanced math after school?!)

Or, I guess one more technologically advanced step would be to use a small laser level rather than the old-school string. It would be easier to use frequently-- but battery required. Shoot a level line with the uphill tire at ground level, then measure the height of the beam. Hmmm...
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #25
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
So by builder's level, do you mean the optical tool? Do you carry it with you, or just to build the table? If you use something else at the campsite, what is it? Would you consider sharing the table of blocks/degree that you've built? So, lot's of questions from me! We've been camping a while, but as I noted above I'm switching to blocks.

Thinking about what you've done, I guess an alternative would be to use a string level... I could put the string on the ground at the opposite tire, then stretch it across to the low side. The distance measured from the level string would give me the exact height needed in blocks. I'd be "constructing" the right triangle directly rather than calculating it using trigonometry with the measure angle. (Who said we'd never use [slightly] advanced math after school?!)

Or, I guess one more technologically advanced step would be to use a small laser level rather than the old-school string. It would be easier to use frequently-- but battery required. Shoot a level line with the uphill tire at ground level, then measure the height of the beam. Hmmm...
...or...make it much simpler and even MORE technologically advanced; get a LevelMate Pro 2. It even remembers the height the front jack needs to be raised to reconnect the coupler to your hitch. Bet your laser and string can't do that.

LevelMate Pro 2 on YouTube

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
It even remembers the height the front jack needs to be raised to reconnect the coupler to your hitch. Bet your laser and string can't do that.
No but a string, washer, and binder clip does the same.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #27
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
No but a string, washer, and binder clip does the same.
To each his/her own.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
So by builder's level, do you mean the optical tool? Do you carry it with you, or just to build the table?
You're overthinking.

I use a Stanley 24-inch I-beam 180 level, which has a rotating vial with 2 degree increments marked. It's a good way to get a quick read on how much slope I need to compensate for. So far, with only a few trips under my belt, the chart's pretty sparse. I have a tandem axle TT, and right now it looks like for approximately every 1.8 degrees of slope I need two blocks under both axles on the downhill side. That's from a sample size of 4 entries.

That's going to vary according to the width of your trailer (wider = more lift needed for the downhill side), so that may not get someone else's trailer even in the ballpark.

Here's a link to the level I use: https://www.stanleytools.com/product...0-level/42-324
Old 07-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
...or...make it much simpler and even MORE technologically advanced; get a LevelMate Pro 2. It even remembers the height the front jack needs to be raised to reconnect the coupler to your hitch. Bet your laser and string can't do that.

LevelMate Pro 2 on YouTube
Hmmm. $10 at Home Depot vs. $140 on Amazon. The meat computer inside my skull remembers that my coupler needs to be 28 inches off the ground. The sharpie mark on the jack tells me when I'm there.

Lo-tech works just as well, and it's cheaper to replace when and if it breaks. Hi tech saves time, but I'm not in a hurry.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
You're overthinking.
I've been accused of over-thinking before....

Usually I plan a project with lists, drawings, charts, and sometimes models. Yeah, possibly overthinking. I do enjoy the planning, though. Thanks for the info on your process.

david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, lock