Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

sandpiper 5th wheel black tank venting issues

2000 sandpiper 30rlss. Our black tank develops a powerful vacuum about once a year. It does not have a flush connection. If I open the valve to drain the tank,or sometjmes even with the drain valve closed,the toilet will not flush. I can see what was in the toilet sitting in the drain pipe below the ball in the toilet. There is no obstruction on the vent. I can run water down the vent with a hose and it will run through the black tank out the outlet and the toilet or the material in the pipe below the toilet will still not go down into the black tank. I have one if the flush attachments for a hose. The only way I can remedy this run the attachment on a hose through the drain pipe into the black tank and move it up and down with the water on full force. During this,the vacuum is so strong on the tank it will blow what's in the tank back into the toilet bowl. I know it has to be a vent issue because I can hear air being sucked through the ball on the toilet while this is going on. Eventually running the flush attachment up and down will remove whatever is blocking the vent and it will work. I only have one vent through the roof,so i'm assuming the tanks are vented together.I removed both vacuum breakers from the sink traps but no help. The gray tank never gives a problem.....ideas?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Does this only happen when the black tank is very full? I'm thinking that the vent pipe may extend into the tank below the level in the tank and may cause the problem.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

I thought the same thing. After one of these toxic explosions last night I cleaned it out a nd started with a empty tank. After two bowl flushes of water a d the black tank drain open and hooked to my portable,the third flush did it again. I removed the cap from the vent but I can only move the vent pipe maybe an inch up and down from the roof.it seems to worsen when the drain is open. I would love to see a schematic on how these two tanks are vented.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

Thanks
for your help and the welcome dave....we've had this unit for 10years and never had this issue till last year.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin and beth View Post
After two bowl flushes of water a d the black tank drain open and hooked to my portable,the third flush did it again.
I've always thought that leaving the black tank valve open would lead to de-watering and result in solids in the tank. I alway believe that lots of water (liquids) in the black is the best especially when it comes to dumping the tank. I frequently pour grey water down the toilet at the end of the weekend to fill up the black tank before heading to the dump station.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Dave....After reading your last post, I decided to try something. I pulled the water hose in and put the flush attachment on, went through the toilet into the black tank with drian valve open and finally cleared the blockage for the toilet pipe to drain into the tank. I closed the valve and put the flush attachment through the toilet and let it run until the black tank reached the bottom of the toilet flange. I pulled the drain and nothing but clear water....closed the drain and did it again. This time the water was stained but no solids. Third fill about halfway through the drain a chuck of something white came out..BABY WIPES!!!!!!!. No clue how they got in there...but we do have a 20 month grandaughter that is a little monkey....hope that was it because I'm completely lost at trying to figure out the vent pipe and how it is attached to the tanks.

Tags
5th wheel, black tank