Old 12-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

Seasonal Camping 101

Hello all! Hubby and I have been camping for more than 15 years from tent to pop up to travel trailer to bigger better travel trailer. Money, gas, and the inablility to find gas stations our 40 footer will fit in have made our transient lifestyle more work than fun. So we're giving up. We've selected one of our favorite places to give seasonal camping a try for 2014. I am terrified. Other than wood under the tires, a better plan for sewer hose (although our double tanks...galley/bath...will make this a challenge), and the never ending debate about slides in or out what tips do you all have to make our transition a smooth one? What do you laugh at the first timers for not knowing? Remember, we've been camping a long time, but we're used to fighting traffic, not rodents.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

You move that much? A forty-footer is huge, but I'm presuming you are not on major freeways. I've seen lots of neat setups with class A rigs that are long term. You might want to search class A forums for ideas.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

We've been on a seasonal site for 6 years. Our slides go out April 15th and come in October 15th, never had a problem. Take a look at any RV lot, they leave the slides out until the unit sells. I keep the slide seals (top and sides) treated with Aerospace303 UV protectant. Here's a link to the seasonal camping thread which you might be interested in browsing through: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-36009.html
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Sure hope there's a lot of responses here. Like kkhslh we're looking at a seasonal for 2014 after pulling the 35' Cardinal for 9 years and the 40' Cedar Creek 1 year.

C.B.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #5

Seasonal Camping 101

Hello!! Don't see many seasonal posts on the forum yet. New to this whole thing. What do you folks use to stabilize your trailers? Just purchased a 35' Primetime still in storage. Going purchase items soon for start of season.Any advise is greatly appreciated. See everything from jacks to x-chocks, etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

fun4kidz - I'm not seasonal. I use a triangulation stabilizer like the Steadyfast system or JT's StrongArms and a between-the-wheel chock (I prefer RotoChocks). I still have a fair amount of movement. My next step is going to be scissor jacks just forward of the axles.

My sister was seasonal for a few years and her ex put 6 or 8 jacks under the camper (front, middle, rear) that they found at a yard sale. Made it pretty rock solid.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

fun4kidz,

Wheel chocks and JT's StrongArms along with front & rear stabilizers work for us. I check them couple times a season for tightness.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Are the Strong Arms hard to install and do you use any type of cribbing under your stabilizers?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4kidz View Post
Are the Strong Arms hard to install and do you use any type of cribbing under your stabilizers?
Our dealer installed our Strong Arms. Others on this forum have installed their own so hopefully they will chime in, or you can do a search. Our site has a slight down slope where the camper is parked. I have a cement block under each rear stab.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. I will search the installation of the strong arms. I'll let you know how the install goes if decide to ho that route. Our site is level.. Thought about the blocks under stabilizers. I was thinking about holding off on any additional equipment until the TT is on site. However, it is a warm dry environment and easy to work on now. What are your thoughts? Do all TT have bounce to them until sured up? Just purchased a Lacrosse 318bhs.

Tags
camping