Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #11

reading everyone's procedures is helping

Yes with kids it is different!
I like the idea of an extra step stool for a seat. I do think we need an outdoor mat / rug. I guess now I'm curious about the pros / cons to patio rugs found in the RV stores vs outdoor carpeting sold at home depot.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #12

I guess I have a different outlook on this subject, camping is camping, my trailer has throw rugs and vinyl floor for a reason, granted I don't have the huge investment of a motor coach.

We sweep often, always throw down a mat outdoors to help reduce the dirt, but shoes are allowed unless they are caked in mud. Kids are kids and I hope they stay that way for a long time.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #13

shoes off

Everyone already is used to taking off their shoes when they come inside the house but the motorhome doesn't have a mudroom (grin). It sounds like an outdoor rug will help and a step stool to sit on would make it easier. I'm trying to envision an outside shoe rack that would be light. Rather than a step stool I'm thinking of a bench (more than one at a time).
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #14

Walmart sells an extra light woven acrylic "outdoor"mat. 5x7, it rolls up for storage and sweeps off super easy. We carry ours in our slideout storage. They are double the price anywhere else.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #15

Are they in the RV area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
Walmart sells an extra light woven acrylic "outdoor"mat. 5x7, it rolls up for storage and sweeps off super easy. We carry ours in our slideout storage. They are double the price anywhere else.
I've seen some mats in the RV area that are about $50
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #16

We have a small outdoor mat at the foot of the steps to do a cursory shoe wipe. We then picked up some spring curtain rods and a towel. Put the towel down on the inside steps and hold it in place with the spring rods. Everyone then takes off their shoes inside and puts them on a rectangular boot tray (which goes under the steering wheel near the pedals) with a wire rack to be able to double decker the shoes.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #17

I guess I am of the mind that camping is camping, so unless DGD has really bad shoes, then they are allowed in. We do have a spot to put them once in as we are just barefoot by nature. If her shoes are terrible they stay outside until DH cleans them and brings them in. We too have throw rugs and a mini vac if needed for the carpet and broom for the vinyle floor. Of course we don't have a no shoe policy in our home either so maybe that is the difference. We do have a rug by the front door for shoes but again that is because we go barefoot.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #18

Skanky shoes stay outside. As for the others, the lovely wife purshase a shoe tree that sits next to the door, and gets stored on my side of the bed.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #19

We have 3 boys 10, 5 and 5, Susan, so I totally feel your frustration!!! We have a large patio mat outside, and we keep a collapsible trash can by the door and a chair next to the can. The boys are supposed to sit in the chair, take off their shoes, then enter the trailer. I would like to say that happens all the time, but boys being boys - at least it happens once in a while! I do spend alot of time sweeping out the trailer, and I shampoo the carpet after every camping trip!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #20

easier shoes?

Thanks for understanding! I have mostly vinyl in our coach except for right around the driver/passenger seat. I wipe down the vinyl flooring a couple times a day. This week I'm making slip covers for the dinette. So far we've been lucky as the towels across the seats have captured what didn't wind up on the floor. I'm also going to make a shoe pouch thing for across the back of the dinette (which in our model is next to the stairs/door). That way there is a place to put the shoes that isn't on the floor. When we are parked I'm trying the chair next to the stairs, bin for shoes and patio mat plan.

Weird shape camping spot this weekend - there was just an aisle next to the camper - no space to unfurl the mat. The camping area was behind the unit.

I'm also trying to figure out if there are "easier" shoes - slip on crocs for example - that will make this easier for everyone.