Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Shoes - what do you do with them?

Does anyone have any nifty tricks tips routines or ideas for shoes in the RV?

I want outdoor shoes to not come inside but what do you do with them? I had a plastic bin at the door but 5 pair of shoes don't really fit (even though 3 pair are children's.)

I'm thinking of stitching a shoe bag to hang off the back of the dinette (which is next to the door). Before I re-invent the wheel I thought someone else might have a great solution.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #2

I guess it depends on how much room you have for storage and what kind of rig you have. We have a compartment just outside the entry door and we just keep our shoes in there. If we do wear them inside they stay on the linoleum or get put on a small drop rug we keep near the entry door. We rarely wear the shoes on the carpet but even so we found a throw rug that is almost as big as our living room and it only cost $40 so if it gets messed up we will just buy another one.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
2008 390BH

no outside shoes come inside in my RV. we have a shoe rack outside by the door. My wife and I have fleece lined crocs that we wear only inside the RV.

If the shoes have to come in if it is raining, we have a small plastic container to put the shoes in. We leave it by the door.
justinph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Justinph, we put all of our shoes in the compartment next to the door where the shelves are. This is a real simple solution and the shoes are handy for when you need them. I think you have a 390bh also, so that compartment is pretty handy and then we leave our "inside" shoes on the steps to one side for easy slip on and into the coach.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

shoes - what do you do with them?

I think part of my confusion is our three little ones (ages 4, 6, 6,) and where do they sit to take off their shoes. On the steps is a one child at a time (perhaps 2) strategy. Coming inside to take off shoes just drags the mud in. Taking them off outside means they step on the dirt with their socks. It's a too slow process right now. If it's not raining I think we need an outdoor shoe bin or rack, but then they'd need help to retrieve the shoes to put them back on again so as not to get their socks dirty. It's like herding cats...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #6

Susan,

I agree with you. The problem is entirely different with kids. We have 2 boys, 6 and 11, and its a mess if the ground is wet. However, we don't have a patio mat yet which I think will help a lot, but there still needs to be somewhere to dump the shoes when you are coming in where you can get to them easily going out. Keeping them just inside the door doesn't work for us; we still have mud inside at that point. We try to use crocs or slip-on sandals but its not perfect.

We have thought about some kind of foot scraper beside the steps that lets the dirt fall under it but its still not great for mud.

I'll stay tuned...

Jake

TV: '07 GMC 3500 D/A DRW
5'er: Sierra 35LOFT "Tree House"
2 boys
2 dogs
jakenjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

We installed a Clean Machine step mat on our lower step. Has helped out tremendously with keeping the dirt down when we can't take the shoes off outside. We also use the Step Hugger carpets on the steps inside the motorhome.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
2008 390BH

wyntaxman, that first bay is full of lots of stuff (bug spray, bike helmets, etc) so we cant use it for this. I have a 6 & 7 yr old and I dont see them open / closing this over and over. My wife and I do store our outdoor crocs here when we travel.

susan, we put an outdoor rug right at the door and keep it swept off. You can transition between indoor and outdoor shoes easily here and not have to get socks dirty.
justinph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

I bought a piece of super cheap outdoor carpeting from Home Depot. It measures 9'x12' and got it for like $30.00. Though we don't have kids with us, it works great, just drag your feet a little when walking to the step, take your shoes off and place them either under the trailer or carry them inside and place them on a throw rug by the door. Besides, kids are supposed to make a mess when they are young, it's in their job description.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #10

We have a 5x7 mat outside the camper. Shoes go on this, (We always have our awning up so they do not get wet), and if we have to go in and out, I tend to throw an old towl down at the door, so it is there for quick wipes. We used to use a rubbermaid bin when my kids were small, if you use that I sudgest keeping a folding step stool in it so there is an extra seat.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #11

reading everyone's procedures is helping

Yes with kids it is different!
I like the idea of an extra step stool for a seat. I do think we need an outdoor mat / rug. I guess now I'm curious about the pros / cons to patio rugs found in the RV stores vs outdoor carpeting sold at home depot.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #12

I guess I have a different outlook on this subject, camping is camping, my trailer has throw rugs and vinyl floor for a reason, granted I don't have the huge investment of a motor coach.

We sweep often, always throw down a mat outdoors to help reduce the dirt, but shoes are allowed unless they are caked in mud. Kids are kids and I hope they stay that way for a long time.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #13

shoes off

Everyone already is used to taking off their shoes when they come inside the house but the motorhome doesn't have a mudroom (grin). It sounds like an outdoor rug will help and a step stool to sit on would make it easier. I'm trying to envision an outside shoe rack that would be light. Rather than a step stool I'm thinking of a bench (more than one at a time).
Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #14

Walmart sells an extra light woven acrylic "outdoor"mat. 5x7, it rolls up for storage and sweeps off super easy. We carry ours in our slideout storage. They are double the price anywhere else.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #15

Are they in the RV area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
Walmart sells an extra light woven acrylic "outdoor"mat. 5x7, it rolls up for storage and sweeps off super easy. We carry ours in our slideout storage. They are double the price anywhere else.
I've seen some mats in the RV area that are about $50
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #16

We have a small outdoor mat at the foot of the steps to do a cursory shoe wipe. We then picked up some spring curtain rods and a towel. Put the towel down on the inside steps and hold it in place with the spring rods. Everyone then takes off their shoes inside and puts them on a rectangular boot tray (which goes under the steering wheel near the pedals) with a wire rack to be able to double decker the shoes.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #17

I guess I am of the mind that camping is camping, so unless DGD has really bad shoes, then they are allowed in. We do have a spot to put them once in as we are just barefoot by nature. If her shoes are terrible they stay outside until DH cleans them and brings them in. We too have throw rugs and a mini vac if needed for the carpet and broom for the vinyle floor. Of course we don't have a no shoe policy in our home either so maybe that is the difference. We do have a rug by the front door for shoes but again that is because we go barefoot.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #18

Skanky shoes stay outside. As for the others, the lovely wife purshase a shoe tree that sits next to the door, and gets stored on my side of the bed.
RockHaulerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #19

We have 3 boys 10, 5 and 5, Susan, so I totally feel your frustration!!! We have a large patio mat outside, and we keep a collapsible trash can by the door and a chair next to the can. The boys are supposed to sit in the chair, take off their shoes, then enter the trailer. I would like to say that happens all the time, but boys being boys - at least it happens once in a while! I do spend alot of time sweeping out the trailer, and I shampoo the carpet after every camping trip!
clu5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #20

easier shoes?

Thanks for understanding! I have mostly vinyl in our coach except for right around the driver/passenger seat. I wipe down the vinyl flooring a couple times a day. This week I'm making slip covers for the dinette. So far we've been lucky as the towels across the seats have captured what didn't wind up on the floor. I'm also going to make a shoe pouch thing for across the back of the dinette (which in our model is next to the stairs/door). That way there is a place to put the shoes that isn't on the floor. When we are parked I'm trying the chair next to the stairs, bin for shoes and patio mat plan.

Weird shape camping spot this weekend - there was just an aisle next to the camper - no space to unfurl the mat. The camping area was behind the unit.

I'm also trying to figure out if there are "easier" shoes - slip on crocs for example - that will make this easier for everyone.