Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Slide out and Rain

Did a quick search and didn't see anything about this.
We are a first time camper owner with a slide out.
Decided it was time to leave when it was raining the other morning and learned a valuable lesson.
While bringing the slide out in, I think I hear water dripping and running somewhere. Look to the end of the slide out and see a river running across the floor of the camper.
Learned now to always raise or lower the jack to get the camper NOT level before bringing the slide out in to stop the river inside the trailer.
Thought I would share for other newbies that haven't had the pleasure of figuring this one out yet on their own.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
10x

I always keep my camper slightly tilted to the slide out side so water always runs away from camper.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

I am still working on the "tilt" when parked.
Mine likes to lean to the fridge side when just parked with nothing.
I try to "judge" how much to raise it so when the slide out is out, it comes out level. haven't got it yet. LOL
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #4

Put a topper on the slide and problem solved.... And you can keep camper level to boot....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
10x

I keep a couple of 2x8 boards and drive camper wheels up on them. I also have a slide topper too. Last weekend camping the site was so uneven I had to use 2 boards.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I keep a couple of 2x8 boards and drive camper wheels up on them. I also have a slide topper too. Last weekend camping the site was so uneven I had to use 2 boards.
I carry 3 when I go to Acadia,ME, last time our site had so much slope I parked it cross ways. It took lots of small 2 x 4's for 2 of the stabilizers & got lots of looks from other campers but it was rock steady.

Two boards are also a handy jack to change a TT tire. Hopefully you never need to.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #7

Get slide out toppers (awning). Any water that is collected on them will run off as you retract the slide. The rubber seal on the side of the slide acts as a squeegie. I have retracted my slide many times during wet conditions and have never once noticed a drop of water on the inside.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Put a topper on the slide and problem solved.... And you can keep camper level to boot....
Amen, brother.

Toppers rule:

1) no water pooling on roof from rain shower
2) Shade on the slide out roof (thinnest insulation) aids in cooling
3) No wet leaves to remove before closing slide
4) No snow to shovel when that freak snowstorm dumps an inch at night
5) Will not "flap" in the wind if properly tensioned (read your manual).

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Team

another vote for a topper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

I have found that even though the gasket acts as a squeegee the corners always leak a bit when retracting the slide in the rain. I always try to keep a very slight tilt to the trailer to one of the rear corners that way the drips from the A.C. when running will drain to one area.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

What do you mean by a "topper?"
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Look here.....Dometic SlideTopper - Dometic - RV Slideout Awnings - Camping World
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

As others have said, get slide toppers. Would never be without them.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
another vote for a topper.
Same here, we currently don't have a topper on our slide out, but going to have one installed before the first trip in the spring. We have had no water come into the trailer even with out it. But be nice to keep the roof on the slide out clean and dry.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
that's what we did and haven't had any issues for the past 6 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #16

Glad to find this thread. My new Roo has a slide-out & I wondered about rain (as well as leaves, etc.) on top of it. It's only rained once since I got it & that's while it was still sitting in the driveway. I had a burst of smartness & put the slide-out in before the rain started so I haven't yet had to deal with it.

A topper sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming that's something that needs to be professionally installed?
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I always keep my camper slightly tilted to the slide out side so water always runs away from camper.
I did the same thing but now I have a model with opposing slides. I'm thinking of investing in slide toppers. I keep the trailer tilted slightly to the front or back to encourage runoff.

I know most manufacturers tell you that the seals will keep water out when reeling them in while raining. Bottom line, wait until it stops if you can. And ALWAYS clean off the leaves and sticks before you do. I speak from experience when I say a damaged top side slide seal will ruin your pleasant camping experience.

I posted this in another thread. But it seems appropriate here. Something I would like to see the industry do is start to include gutters above the top side bulb seal. Trailers and RVs unless used by someone who lives in them or travels frequently spend 95% of their life with slides retracted. A gutter or a rain deflector would keep water from running along the top of the slide where it mates the camper wall. This would prevent water from entering the coach while parked. It wouldn't do anything while the slides are extended but it would protect them through most of their life and give owners a low cost / maintenance free alternative to toppers.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
A topper sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming that's something that needs to be professionally installed?
it's a two-person job. you don't have your Roo model posted but our 23SS has a 12' slideout, so it definitely needed two people.
i wasn't comfortable doing it, so unless you're a very handy person, i'd recommend having a RV shop do it.
i found the best total price was getting mine from CW.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I did the same thing but now I have a model with opposing slides. I'm thinking of investing in slide toppers. I keep the trailer tilted slightly to the front or back to encourage runoff.

I know most manufacturers tell you that the seals will keep water out when reeling them in while raining. Bottom line, wait until it stops if you can. And ALWAYS clean off the leaves and sticks before you do. I speak from experience when I say a damaged top side slide seal will ruin your pleasant camping experience.

I posted this in another thread. But it seems appropriate here. Something I would like to see the industry do is start to include gutters above the top side bulb seal. Trailers and RVs unless used by someone who lives in them or travels frequently spend 95% of their life with slides retracted. A gutter or a rain deflector would keep water from running along the top of the slide where it mates the camper wall. This would prevent water from entering the coach while parked. It wouldn't do anything while the slides are extended but it would protect them through most of their life and give owners a low cost / maintenance free alternative to toppers.

Mine has gutters, I am not sure how well they work, yet!

And I also vote for the slide covers, I just have to figure out how to pay for then now!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #20

Exactly what I want... I talked to a dealer about them and they looked at me like I had three heads...

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out