Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #11

So what if you have it on a seasonal site?

I was thinking of leaving mine open from May through August. We are under shade trees with little direct sun light. We are also there every weekend (most of the time). We leave the camper plugged as keep so the fridge stays cold and stocked.

We will bring the slides in in the off season.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

My first tripple slide and we leave ours in, but every 6 weeks spray the rubber so they will not rot or crack.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #13

Well thanks for giving me something else to worry about! I'll have to bring this up to DH tonight when I get home. We leave ours out when in "season" and it's parked next to our house. We bring it in, in the fall. Now he'll politely tell me either "it'll be fine" or "whatever you want to do dear."
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #14

Slide in when not in use

Leaving the slide out when not in use will put you at risk of tearing the slide top awning ... increased UV and wind damage. If you look around, it is quite common to see torn slide-top awings at RV dealerships.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
H2oski

I store mine indoors so I store mine out about 1 inch off the outside seals. But the Lippert Slide manual has a note in it that reads

NOTE: For long-term storage: It is recommend that the room be closed (retracted).

Now the question is, what is long term storage?
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #16

Opening the slides when you return home means that you will be operating them twice as much. Considering the problems people have had with their slide mechanisms, that might be a consideration.
Plus the weathering issue that everyone else has mentioned.
My vote is for "in".
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus
Opening the slides when you return home means that you will be operating them twice as much. Considering the problems people have had with their slide mechanisms, that might be a consideration.
Plus the weathering issue that everyone else has mentioned.
My vote is for "in".
So if you use your camper about every other week, wouldn't you be running them in MORE often than if you just left them out when you get home from a trip? When we get ready for the next trip, we like to have the slide out so we can access the refer better, and have everything accessible in case we need to re-stock anything else. that would mean running it in and out two or three times while it's parked. Better in our situation if we just run it out once when we get home and leave it like that until we get ready to leave again
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Don't think it makes any difference one way or the other. Everyone has there own opinions and bottom line, do what you want for your situation. There are pluses for in, pluses for out, negatives for in and negatives for out. We have had a trailer with a slideout for 5 yrs now and it sets out in the weather and the only time the slide is in is when we are towing it. Have had no problems with the awning, seals or mechanism. When we traded it in for our new one last month, it worked and sealed just like it did when new. Never lubed anything but the mechanism. SO, do whatever suits you or maybe I should say do whatever DW wants.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #19

"So if you use your camper about every other week, wouldn't you be running them in MORE often than if you just left them out when you get home from a trip?"
===========
Well, I put my slides in when I travel, but that's just me!
But I understand how some need the slides out to load, as many campers are not set up very conveniently. Luckily, on ours, the fridge and all of the storage is readily accessible even with the slides in, so we only put out the slides at the campground.
The only exception is when we put it away for the winter in our heated shop, then the slides are extended and we put braces under the superslide. That does two things, it takes the load off of the slide mechanism, and also decompresses the inside slide seals.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #20

Ours have been out for about 6 years now we have our camper at a perm site I have had our slides in twice for only a couple of hours in this many years