Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #1

slide stuck

i have a electric motor/rack and pinion slide on a 2008 wildwood LE

I wondered how to manually retract it in or out if it does not work electrically. i havent had a problem but just had a question on how to deal with this type of problem. do i need a special wrench, or instruction manual, etc. the manual doesnt discuss this that i can see.

thank you
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #2

If you bought this camper new then the dealer or service dept should have explained this to you and showed you the tool to use. In the middle of the motor there is what looks like the end of a shaft with a spring pin that stick out on both sides of the shaft, this is were the cranking is don, the tool that you use is an off-set crank handle, It has what looks like a socket on one end with a slot on both sides. The socket fits over the shaft and the slots fit over the spring pin, and then you turn. My off-set crank tool is brass in color not like the jack crank that is silver. If you do not have this tool, you can get them. I hope I was able to explain this clearly.... Good luck.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
If you bought this camper new then the dealer or service dept should have explained this to you and showed you the tool to use. In the middle of the motor there is what looks like the end of a shaft with a spring pin that stick out on both sides of the shaft, this is were the cranking is don, the tool that you use is an off-set crank handle, It has what looks like a socket on one end with a slot on both sides. The socket fits over the shaft and the slots fit over the spring pin, and then you turn. My off-set crank tool is brass in color not like the jack crank that is silver. If you do not have this tool, you can get them. I hope I was able to explain this clearly.... Good luck.

thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

Just had a stuck slide this morning when we were leaving Myrtle Beach State Park. My friend pushed on the outside slide and I worked the inside switch and it broke free from the interior wall. I lubed the rubber membrane surrounding the slide and hope the it will work ok in the morning. Guess the 5 months that we were there with the slide in place was the culprit. Got to keep the slides lubed!!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I picked up the manual for my hydraulic system from the builder Lippert Components (LCI). They provided me with the correct slide system manual (pdf) for my unit that spells out manual procedures really well. Not sure which manual would be correct for yours, but here is one of their electric slide manuals.
http://www.lci1.com/Service%20Owners...ideout-Web.pdf

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #6

If you do experience a problem before you crank it in check the power over ride switch. Ours in the the kitchen cabinet and a plate hit it and the slide was dead.

I cranked first and ask the dealer later, then I remembered that he did tell us when we picked up the camper.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #7

Thank you, as always the FRF friends has been very friendly and helfful

since posting this , i have looked below the camper and see the external drive shaft for the manual retraction. i didnt know about the drive override and i do not have a manual tool. i guess i could use a rachet wrench, is this like a standard hex size, like the 3/4 on the stab jacks, sorry i didnt measure. my dealer did tell me although you can retract it manually, it will take a while, so be patient.

what does the manual override do that is located in the kitchen cabinet, i need to look in the cabinet, i dont know if ours has it.

Phil
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4stlhed View Post
If you do experience a problem before you crank it in check the power over ride switch. Ours in the the kitchen cabinet and a plate hit it and the slide was dead.

I cranked first and ask the dealer later, then I remembered that he did tell us when we picked up the camper.
Hmmm. something I'll check for too. Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Thank you, as always the FRF friends has been very friendly and helfful

since posting this , i have looked below the camper and see the external drive shaft for the manual retraction. i didnt know about the drive override and i do not have a manual tool. i guess i could use a rachet wrench, is this like a standard hex size, like the 3/4 on the stab jacks, sorry i didnt measure. my dealer did tell me although you can retract it manually, it will take a while, so be patient.

what does the manual override do that is located in the kitchen cabinet, i need to look in the cabinet, i dont know if ours has it.

Phil
Just guessing, but if its an safety override, I imagine it cuts power to the slide switches. Anyone know for sure?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #10

Our TT had a simple electical rocker switch in the cabinet that shut down the power on the motor. We were told that it was to child proof and prevent accidential movment of the slide.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #11

I wish ours had this, or had a fuse/breaker that could be disconnected. our only option is to try to cove rthe slide switches that are clustered next to the light switches, poor design and placement. dont they, forest river, read any of these suggestions on these forums? why dont the dealers tell fr
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #12

Well, I havent really seen any manufacturer using a really logical placement throughout their lines of trailers... some are well designed, and others aren't. I was looking over the new FR models today and saw some that were well designed and some that were, well, like mine.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I would think for hydraulic systems it would be fairly simple to install a power cutoff switch in the hydraulic pump compartment... just a simple single-pole on the red 'hot' wire to the wall switch would disable the whole system I think... Any advice on whether that would be feasible?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4stlhed View Post
Our TT had a simple electical rocker switch in the cabinet that shut down the power on the motor. We were told that it was to child proof and prevent accidential movment of the slide.
i wish mine had this to prevent accidental slide movement. i might have to track down the switch wire and add a switch in series with the existing slide switches
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

Since these are 12v motors, I am guessing there is a single fuse that could be pulled, that would disable only the slide(s), a lot easier than installing a switch.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Cyber Phrenologist

On every Rockwood I have looked at in the last few years (and there were many!) incuding mine, all such controls except for the thermostat are behind a little cabinette door that looks like a small medicine cabinette, placed fairly high on the wall.

Any switch a kid might damage something with is in there, water heater, tank heater, slide, water pump and a bunch of outside lights. Also makes a good place to put your truck keys, as that will remind you to turn things off if you go out someplace.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #16

This isn't really about the slide sticking, just a friendly warning. We were camping with the in-laws about a month ago, eating breakfast and my two year old pushed the slide slide switch and it started moving. Scared the crap out of everyone eating breakfast in the dinette.
tnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #17

most of the slide switches on wildwood are located in a readily accessible location next to the light switches. they are very easily mistaken for lights.

to safeguard the inadvertant switching of the slides, i have made a simple cover over the two slide switches out of thick cardboard. it could be fabricated out of thin metal, but i wanted something functional and quick to mount to prevent damage to the slides. it easily mounted with the existing switch screws. it now blocks the slide switches and is easily accessed from the side when needed
Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #18

I have a Flagstaff with 2 slides that are electric (12v) motor powered- NOT hydraulic. If yours is like this, there is 2 green weathertight fuse holders under the tongue area near the batteries that hold 30 amp fuses- one for each slide motor. An on/off switch could be added to this connection area fairly easily. Hope this helps !! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote