Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Some folks you just can't teach

Well, friend of mine calls me up, wants to buy a trailer. Finds one on the internet-he's in PA, trailer in GA. Told him those were probably FEMA trailers, and all about the mold issues. Guy swears no mold, he goes 14 1/2 hours one way, and guess what, mold city. Guy had told him there were 150 trailers to choose from,he said when he got there, he saw maybe 30. So he's all fired up and instead of coming home, he lets the guy sell him a Jayco. Still a FEMA deal, but really wsn't in that bad of shape. Asked me to stop up and look at it, and they're going on a trip next weekend. Said he'd call cause he wanted to know how to hook up and use all of the tanks. Another friend tells me at work tonite, the guy hooked the trailer up at home, and hooked it up to 220 Guess that's why he didn't call me

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #2

I guess he's not going on that trip next weekend now!! My sister in law and her husband bought a FEMA trailer, that was a leftover stock un-used model. They got a good deal; however it has a full sized fridge, electric only, and larger gas stove, and no holding tanks. Designed as a park model, not intended for traveling. No slides, very tight quarters inside, IMO. Sometimes, price isn't everything! Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Some folks you just can't teach.

I think you friend was Impatient. Hope he didn't FRY to many wires.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

"the guy hooked the trailer up at home, and hooked it up to 220"
=========================================
That's funny, as I watched a friend of mine do that this spring.
He was showing me how the stabilizers he had just fabricated for his new 5th worked to make the trailer rock solid, and wanted to extend the slides to demonstrate. The battery didn't have enough ooomph, so he went to plug it in. Apparently, because he didn't have the regular 110 adaptor on the big trailer plug, he got it in his head that he needed an equally large supply plug. Being in front of his farm shop, the welder cord was right there, and "looked" similar, but of course we all know the flat prongs are not at the same angle. Two of us were watching him fight with the plugs, forcing them together. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was actually doing, but a little voice was saying 'this doesn't look good!' But he quickly succeeded, and we heard a POOOOOFFFF from the trailer door. His power centre was right by the open door, and a cloud of black smoke was pouring from it. We both yelled at him to unplug it, then realising what he had done, laughed and laughed.
Now the guy knew better, but in his excitement, just had a brain-fart.
Luckily, he just blew the capacitor in the power converter and it was a cheap fix. But it was a great lesson, take your time!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post

Luckily, he just blew the capacitor in the power converter and it was a cheap fix. But it was a great lesson, take your time!
You know what they say about Brain Farts, it's where $hi^^y ideas come from!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #6

I saw your thread title, and I couldn't help spitting out the rest of the line: "So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men." Then the music starts up...
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
That's funny, as I watched a friend of mine do that this spring.
He was showing me how the stabilizers he had just fabricated for his new 5th worked to make the trailer rock solid, and wanted to extend the slides to demonstrate. The battery didn't have enough ooomph, so he went to plug it in. Apparently, because he didn't have the regular 110 adaptor on the big trailer plug, he got it in his head that he needed an equally large supply plug. Being in front of his farm shop, the welder cord was right there, and "looked" similar, but of course we all know the flat prongs are not at the same angle. Two of us were watching him fight with the plugs, forcing them together. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was actually doing, but a little voice was saying 'this doesn't look good!' But he quickly succeeded, and we heard a POOOOOFFFF from the trailer door. His power centre was right by the open door, and a cloud of black smoke was pouring from it. We both yelled at him to unplug it, then realising what he had done, laughed and laughed.

Yup, that's exactly what he did from what I hear. Plugged it in to his welder outlet. Funny thing, too he went to tech school to be an electrician, and now works in a maintenance dept. Brain Fart indeed. Gonna call him later today, you know I ain't gonna let this pass without some harrassment
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

HAHA thats funny! my dad tried to do that to his trailer to. luckily it has a power center for the genset/shore/battery etc and it just kicked the main breaker. had to teach him how a 50A service works.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
I saw your thread title, and I couldn't help spitting out the rest of the line: "So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men." Then the music starts up...
I was thinking the same.

Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
You know what they say about Brain Farts, it's where $hi^^y ideas come from!!