Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #21

Welcome from Lancaster PA!

I use a pole that extends out with a broom end to reach out to those spots you just cant get with a regular broom. I use it on my awnings as well before packing up. Just my thought and do.

Enjoy and safe travels where ever the road takes you!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #22

Saw the posts about leaf blowers and the like.

We bought this wet/dry vacuum earlier this year and it is one of the best gadgets we own! WOW is it a powerful vacuum! The cool thing is the top detaches and it becomes a leaf blower. So it is a all-in-one cleaning tool - great for the carpet and tile floors inside, grate to clean the basement & TOAD and the leaf blower is just the ticket to clean our campsite!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #23

I got this on clearance....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473795747.742090.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	120099

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Prime Time advertises that their slide out walls and roof are constructed the same as the rest of the trailer and that it is okay to walk on them. I owned our LaCrosse for 6 years and walked on them while cleaning and washing without and problems.
As far as slide toppers, I've never owned any so can't really help you there.

Yes - they used to have a photo on their website that showed three guys standing on the roof of a slideout.

I have walked on the slides of both units we had prior to this one with no issues....did not let DH on them as he is a big guy so I always do the roof work 😊

Have slide toppers on our Crusader and would not be without them - we are seasonal in a highly wooded site and they are wonderful for keeping debris off !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #25

We had slide toppers on the last 2 units, and I just got the slide toppers for our new Crusader. Love them, as for flapping in the wind, I can only say that we have never experienced this
Charles Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #26
LSA pilot

Cleaning slide out tops

Why not sweep off part, then slide it in so you can reach the next part, duh, lol
palmettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #27

If you put on some slide toppers, debris collecting on the top is gone/ Underneath the slide topers I use a wet mop and mop out that area on the top and this also cleans the rubber seal on the top. Once they are in your can usually reach in and clean the tops of the slid with a damp cloth. Its amazing how much dust can pile up on the top of them even with a topper. However its much better than having to deal with pine cones and twigs and all other sorts of debris that can wreck your top seal.

Brandon2
2014 -2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #28

Crusader is built for you to walk on. I do it whenever I need to. As for other brands who knows? I would not on most units. There is a pic with 3 guys at the Prime Time factory standing on a slide. It's on there web site.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #29

Yup they flap in the wind and the large ones will have water pool in them. Just watch you don't get a shower when you bring in the one near the door, if you get them. I have them and don't worry about anything getting on the roof. If you don't want to get them them get a cordless leaf blower to blow clean the roof of the slides.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #30

My two cents. I have slide toppers and use a ladder and a leaf blower to. Clean off top of slides. I usually only have to clean them if tt is in campground for a couple weeks.
mulltrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #31

Thank you all for the info. This was way more than I hoped to get. I can see where I will be checking here often as this is where the 'real' RV'ers live.
Fcathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #32

Having replaced, repaired and sealed many slide out roofs I will tell you it's a very bad idea. There is little bracing in the ceilings. It will flex and open the seal (taped or otherwise) along the outside aluminum extrusion.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #33

Walking on slide roof, slide supports, slide toppers

We are full-timers (me, my wife, plus her sister), with a 43' FR Sierra 5th wheel with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a large living area.

1. I would not stand on top of slide. They are built to the same standards as the walls, etc., and we all know how weak they can be.

2. I'd strongly recommend slide toppers. As mentioned by others, they provide good protection to the slide top. Also, if worse comes to worse, you can always replace the slide topper if necessary. Much cheaper than repairing a slide roof, seals, repairing water damage, etc.

3. There have been a few times that we experienced strong winds. For me, this means wind speeds about 20mph and above - including one instance where we had straight line winds in the 55mph range! In our experience this occurs primarily in the wide open RV parks in southern New Mexico and Arizona. With winds like this, the slide toppers flap real hard - noisy, and also presents the risk of damaging the topper. Solved the problem by using 3/8" rope draped over the center of the topper, with a 4' pool noodle that I had previously threaded the rope through, that I locate in the outside center of the topper. Each end of the rope drapes down over the ends of the slide, where I then tie the rope ends to the slide mechanism under the slide. FYI: with extreme winds like I mentioned earlier (55mph), I didn't mess around. I just retracted the slides, adapted to the tighter quarters, and poured a glass of wine for each of us. Problem solved.

4. I use slide supports under our long slide (about 14'). This slide is in our living area, and has a full-width sofa in the slide. With 3 or 4 folks averaging about 160lbs, that is adding about 640 extra pounds that the slide mechanism has to support. Since the sofa is against the outside wall, that 600+ pounds is concentrated at the outward end of the slide mechanism - pretty powerful leverage. While the slide mechanisms are pretty sturdy, I use two supports to help take the strain off of everything. Again, I need to point out that these rigs are not built to the same structural standards of a house - weight (especially for a 5th wheel), and cost, are 2 major factors that govern the lack of "robustness" of construction.

I do not use slide supports under the other 3 smaller slides, as any interior weight on these slides is not as significant as on the large living room slide.

4a. With slide supports, it would take a pretty dramatic event to cause a significant weight shift to over stress the slide supports/slide. Since the slides are only extended when the rig is stationary, and presumably the landing gear is down, a flat tire would not affect the stance of the rig. Of course if you retract the landing gear without first removing the slide supports, and you have a flat tire, then the whole situation could be a serious problem.

A word of warning using slide supports. Don't exert excessive upward force when placing the supports under the slide. It is possible to lift the slide upwards in its' opening in the side of the rig, with the potential for leaks, and damage.

IN SUMMARY: BE CAREFUL - THERE ARE BIG FORCES AT WORK. Our rig is 16,000# loaded. I have devised a set of procedures (much light a aircraft pilot's check list), that is unique to my rig. Even with the several hundred times that I have set the rig up, and closed it up to move on, I don't want to make a mistake. Mistakes can be expensive!

Of course, even though I am intelligent, good looking, and a swell guy who is extremely modest, I have learned a few lessons (well maybe more than a few!) the hard way.

Y'all take care, eh? Fred
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #34

As to awnings, I am in a quandary on that one. One camp says they are indispensable and the other talks of the billowing in the wind causing excessive noise and water pooling.[/QUOTE]

They're BOTH right.. Which hassle would you rather deal with? I have opted to sweep off the slide before retracting.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #35

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
If you're wanting the slide supports to prevent movement,,,,,,don't do it. Another option is to get a set of jacks from Walmart.....about $35......crank them up on the framework underneath between the stabilizers and tires.......that cuts down on the vibration inside.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #36
Chuck

Supports

I have been using supports for a long time. They keep the coach more stable and I feel a lot less wobble in the coach when walking around inside. I make sure they are not overly tight but just firm enough to make the coach more stable. As far as cleaning mine, I insisted my new coach have a rear ladder installed. I go up on the coach roof and use a broom I carry to sweep it off. At the same time, I make sure the gutters are clear as well. If you do this, be sure to only walk along the edges where it has the most support. Try and avoid walking in the center if at all possible.
Idaho_Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #37
Site Team

An 8ft step ladder and a auto windshield Squeege on a extendable painters pole works perfect. It can also be used to wash and treat the top of the slide out.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #38
Insert witty title here

My slideouts have skylights so I don't really want toppers. A quick cleaning via ladder after camping works for me.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #39
RCAF VET

Standing on slide out roof.

I see no problem standing on the roof of my slide outs. This said I make certain to stand close to the ends where it is stronger. The slide out is designed to stand on or in from the inside so having a person's weight on the outside is the same weight. Stand close to the ends, you should have no problem.
bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #40
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Kill 2 birds with one stone.
Install slide toppers. Like so many said already the debris will roll off as the slide is extracted. Then there is no reason to worry about standing on them because there's no reason too.
As far as concerns with the topper flapping in the wind, it won't be an issue as long as they are installed with enough tension. If it's too loose you just unmount it and roll it a wrap at a time until you're satisfied with the tension.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out