Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #41
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Prime Time advertises that their slide out walls and roof are constructed the same as the rest of the trailer and that it is okay to walk on them. I owned our LaCrosse for 6 years and walked on them while cleaning and washing without and problems.
As far as slide toppers, I've never owned any so can't really help you there.

I'll have to retract the above statement.

When I purchased my LaCrosse back in 2010 PT was advertising that you could stand on the slide out roofs since they were built just like the main roof of the a few others have mentioned in this thread they had a picture of 3 men standing on one.
I went to PT's website to back up my statement and couldn't find anything about standing on the slide out roof, so I contacted them to find out if they still say it's okay. I received an email today stating they DO NOT recommend standing on the slide out roofs.
Sorry if I caused any confusion on the subject.

P.S. I was asking about my recently purchased Crusader's slide out roof.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #42
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by Charles Allen View Post
We had slide toppers on the last 2 units, and I just got the slide toppers for our new Crusader. Love them, as for flapping in the wind, I can only say that we have never experienced this
Never had that problem in the last 3 units we have owned either. When the slide toppers are installed correctly they do not sag, thus no water pooling and maintain tension, thus no flapping in the wind.

Originally Posted by palmettoe View Post
Why not sweep off part, then slide it in so you can reach the next part, duh, lol
Palmettoe, most electric motor driven slides manufacturers advise against stopping mid-way between extension or retraction. Once you start a process, you need to fully extend or retract your slide.

Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #43
Side Out Supports

"Modern slideouts don't need them and manufactures warn NOT to use them."
I Assume someone out there has definitive references to the manufacturer's recommendations?????
FR brands?
By the way I do not use 'em.
2015 XLR415AMP
2011 3500HD Duramax/Allison/90 Gal Aux
2015 HD Limited Low
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #44

I would never stand on mine. I use a selfy stick to take a pic of the slide top to see if I even have to remove debris. If needed I use a six foot ladder and a fine bristle broom.
Regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #45
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Depends on how big one is....{human)
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #46
Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
We have the cathedral ceilings(roof)on our 3 slides on our Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL ....I have been out on mine to clean a couple of times and weigh 230 pounds...I've seen footprints all over them on occasions when it's been returned from the service shop at our dealer....I don't know how much difference my 230 lbs make whether it's on the roof or sitting in my recliner inside which is on the slide and usually someone else is sitting in the other recliner at the same time....don't know for sure but I"ve been told the construction on our unit is the same whether it's a slide or main body.

As for the toppers, since we do not have flat roof slides we can't use them on our style of sloped roof.
Lloyd & Kathy & Kit(17 yr old cat)
2014 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL
2016 Chevy 3500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab, DuraMax/Allison.
2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.
2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.
2016 - 33 nights/4707 mi.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #47
Bottom line is there are many different quality slide units out there. My daughter has an entry level and you can bend the slide down from inside. You would fall through if you walked on it. My slides are very well built and don't flex if I need to walk on them. Some RV roofs are not really that strong and really flex when walked on. You need to know how your unit is put together and how thick the material is. If you are not sure, don't walk on it.
2012 Crusader 26RLD, 2000 F-350 4X4 7.3.
Hayes Autoformer, Correct track, Maxxis 8008E,
Andersen Aluminum hitch.
Jack350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 AM   #48
When I climb on top of my RV to clean it, I use a ladder to step onto my slide out then onto the roof. I have walked on it though with no problems. I weigh nearly 200#s. No problems. Think of how much weight is in the area when your inside of it. More than 200# I bet. As far as toppers, never used them.
twitty529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:37 AM   #49
Originally Posted by twitty529 View Post
When I climb on top of my RV to clean it, I use a ladder to step onto my slide out then onto the roof. I have walked on it though with no problems. I weigh nearly 200#s. No problems. Think of how much weight is in the area when your inside of it. More than 200# I bet. As far as toppers, never used them.
So you are assuming the roof of the slide is built the same as the floor. Maybe yours is, I know mine is not.
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #50
Do you not think snow gets heavy? Come on now guys. Unless you are very obese, I don't see a problem.

twitty529 is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out