Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcathey View Post
Ok, let me set expectations. Just retired, sold home and purchased RV to travel country with spousal unit searching for where we want to live. We've never RV'd, never owned an RV and I've never been on a forum before (expectations low now? Good.)

I've done a search and didn't see an answer to this. If I missed something, please redirect me so I don't post unnecessarily.

Can I stand on the slide outs to clean them off? I've got them supported so just wondering if the roof is strong enough. They stick out 39 inches so it is a little challenging to reach all the way to the edge to remove debris and water.
There is NO Need to walk/Stand on a "Slide out"! They make handles that Extend for Lots of Accessories that are universal! Stand on roof or Ladder to gain access! Full time I would also install Toppers! Youroo!!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #62

Yes, Bama Bob, but, when you are using the trailer for a house you don't have a choice. In the summer it was over 90 and it got down into the 20's before we could move back in and winterize the trailer. We had to use the heated hoses to bring in water (yes, they worked pretty well) and put antifreeze in the dump hoses, but, it worked. The trailer came through in grand style and we have made several trips this year with it with no problems. I really appreciated the Forest River workmanship on this rig and how well it held up. I was worried about the snow weight, but, it held up well and didn't seem to bother it. All 12 inches came in one snow storm, but, the next few days were warm enough to melt the snow and it cleared right off. But, I still wouldn't stand on the roof of the slide out.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcathey View Post
Thank you all for the info. This was way more than I hoped to get. I can see where I will be checking here often as this is where the 'real' RV'ers live.
My two cents on toppers. You are traveling and stop for the night. Poring down rain, quickly hook up elec. and run slide/slides out. Next morning still poring rain! Slide toppers, run slide/slides in disc. elec. your on your way. Maybe/not water on top of slide or junk, now inside? Not a perfect world. If you stay put save the money. If you travel, get them. Been there, done that!

Tags
slide, slide out