Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Stink Bugs in Camper - Black Tank Rinser Back Flow Preventer

I have a new 2014 Rockwood and I was trying to use the Black tank rinser and water was pouring into the camper. After investigating, I removed the back flow preventer and guess what, it was filled with stink bugs. Not just one or two, but 10 of those little buggers. They were preventing the little ball inside from working. So I guess those of us who have these little buggers in our area should really inspect our campers.

Rockwood 8312ss 2014
Melanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

Bugs

When we pulled the windshield cover off my Sunseeker a few weeks ago to go camping I shook out a whole bunch of them. Guess they were looking for a place to spend the winter. Shook them out and left them at home.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

The last time I was at the dealer, I chatted with one of the service writers. He said they were seeing a lot of issues with those stinkbugs getting into things. He said they were getting into some of the lines and causing flow issues (like propane flow). So if you get flow issues with any system, suspect stinkbugs if you have them in your area. I had one fall camping trip where we got hundreds of um into our PUP. No lie, I filled the vacuum canister with um, thought I got them all but still found over a hundred more over the next several trips, they kept showing up. Have not seen them at all this year guess I finally got them all. (and yes I did have a propane flow issue on my next trip after the invasion but it seemed to work itself out -that is what started my conversation with the dealer)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Found some stinkbugs in the arms of the power awning when we got our trailer a month or so ago.
I think we've had more around this autumn here in Western MD than last year, but not as many as 2 years ago.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

OMG! Those buggers were all over our camper while in Georgia. We only had a couple at the first spot on Lake Lanier but when we went over to Shoal Creek on Lake Lanier for another week, they were everywhere.

When we got back to Wisconsin we found at least 4 dozen more every time we picked something up, ugh. Hopefully the cold winter will kill them off. Oh wait, no worries, we pick up our new camper tomorrow! Yipee.

Bonnie
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

I actually purchased a small "stink bug only" vacuum last week after clearing a ton of them from the door frames,storage bin doors, and other crevices on my camper last week.

I was very happy to NOT find any inside the camper yet ......Until I left the door open for a second and 2 or 3 flew in. It must be sealed well or I just haven't found the sweet spots yet.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

I've had issues with those stupid stink bugs getting in the water heater propane mixer tube. (In case you don't know, it is that small tube the propane injects into, mixes with air in the right proportion to make a good flame.) Anyway, it seems to be the right size to attract stink bugs, and they think they are going hole-up in there for winter. When they are in there, it will cause the water heater to emit black smoke, or not light at all, due to an improper air/fuel mix. So now, before any trip, I always blow out the mixer tube just in case. I hate stink bugs.
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

In a related matter, I have begun going ahead and hooking up my black hose to the flush system when first setting up. It's easier than trying to hook it up later when the slide is out. I just let the black hose lie on the ground until I'm ready to flush at the end of the trip.

This last time, when I got through flushing and removed the black hose from the camper, there was a dead and waterlogged salamander curled around the inside of the hose fitting that screws onto the camper. Because it was curled around the edges, it had not really blocked much water flow, but I can imagine that if something less flexible crawls in there, it could be a problem.

I'll be getting a plug for the open end of the hose.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
OMG! Those buggers were all over our camper while in Georgia. We only had a couple at the first spot on Lake Lanier but when we went over to Shoal Creek on Lake Lanier for another week, they were everywhere.

When we got back to Wisconsin we found at least 4 dozen more every time we picked something up, ugh. Hopefully the cold winter will kill them off. Oh wait, no worries, we pick up our new camper tomorrow! Yipee.

Bonnie
No worries for now. Just wait till you return to the stinkbug infested lands. killjoy I know ;-). They are the biggest problem in the fall when the weather turns and they then are looking for a wintering place. Though we also see them in the spring as they emerge, they seem to leave the camper alone then.

BTW have fun with your new camper.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, bugs, camper, tank, vent