Originally Posted by klspahr
I always considered the gloves to be useful to add a little protection in case you have a cut or scrape that would be an entry point for those bad little "germs". I think that very few things can infect you through your skin. But a good hand wash afterwards not only kills the germs but seems to help clear the memory of the task just finished.
Germs and organisms can indeed infect via tiny cuts in the skin. We recently converted our backyard fountain into an aquatic pond with water lilies, horsetail, etc. The waterfall pump operates about 8 hours each day to keep it moving, but because it's no longer chlorinated, the algae formed in a few days. Goldfish help. But, the pond guy warned me about the water. He said never to let it get on my hands if I have cuts on my skin. He said that recently a woman in our area died from an infection caused by germs in that manner. Better to use rubber gloves. Just my 2 cents worth.