Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Never had a problem when we weren't blessed with full hook ups which has only been the last 8 years of the last 53+. If the dump station had debris around it, we hosed it down before dumping. A pair of gloves is about all you need.
So by hosing down the pad you are avoiding getting stuff on the bottom of your shoes.

I think if it was just DW and me I wouldn't worry about it so much, but with kids that spend a lot of time on the floor playing around I choose to disinfect by shoes as much as I can before going in. I just do in dump stations since who know what's lingering like e coli, etc.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Time for someone to design and build a remote controlled dump system!
Funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing. A remote control arm like the one in the space shuttle. LOL

I also thought about how we used to have full service gas stations. Have a full service dump station. In State Parks, inmates will be employed.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Have you used Clorox Anywhere? It does not stain clothes or carpets like bleach.
I don't Clorox anything, so no.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I don't Clorox anything, so no.
You could also use Lysol or some of the other brands that kill 99.9% of cooties. We love Clorox Anywhere because it's cheap, doesn't smell, doesn't stain, and cooties hate it.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #25

As a submariner that has eaten in the galley after inadvertently blowing poo through out the galley when a valve lineup was messed up, I am not the best person to ask this question to. We were finding poo in there for weeks after that debacle.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
As a submariner that has eaten in the galley after inadvertently blowing poo through out the galley when a valve lineup was messed up, I am not the best person to ask this question to. We were finding poo in there for weeks after that debacle.
LMAO. I've had a couple of submariner friends that can tell you some stinky stories.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #27

It can get pretty horrible. Only had that happen about 3 times throughout my submarine career. Makes it entertaining and strengthens the immune system.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Never had a problem when we weren't blessed with full hook ups which has only been the last 8 years of the last 53+. If the dump station had debris around it, we hosed it down before dumping. A pair of gloves is about all you need.

OH CRAP (pun intended) OC! This thread has just made me realize that because I've never used Chlorox wipes, gloves, shoe covers, hazmat suits, etc over the last 40 years of camping I've lost my hair, my eyesight is failing, my hearing is going bad and my boys have ONLY lived to be 37 and 34 after crawling around on the dirty floor. OH NO...just thought too that we never wiped our dog's feet either before entering the RV. And one can only imagine what kind of crap (there's that word again) he has been out and walked in. (Just having some fun folks, please don't get upset with me.)
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
It can get pretty horrible. Only had that happen about 3 times throughout my submarine career. Makes it entertaining and strengthens the immune system.
And other services call it the MESS!!! (and had flame throwers for just such a problem)

George Carlin used to say that since he swam in the East River as a kid he was immune to pretty much everything.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #30

alparmer what clorox are you talking about. They make many different sprays and they have clorox bleach. How long to you wait till you go in the trailer. Most of the disinfectants you need to let the spray stay on the surface for several minutes for the product to disinfect. I also agree that you can be too clean. Do you not take you shoes off when you go into the trailer?

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
OH CRAP (pun intended) OC! This thread has just made me realize that because I've never used Chlorox wipes, gloves, shoe covers, hazmat suits, etc over the last 40 years of camping I've lost my hair, my eyesight is failing, my hearing is going bad and my boys have ONLY lived to be 37 and 34 after crawling around on the dirty floor. OH NO...just thought too that we never wiped our dog's feet either before entering the RV. And one can only imagine what kind of crap (there's that word again) he has been out and walked in. (Just having some fun folks, please don't get upset with me.)
I remember ridding in the back of my Dad's Ford pickup truck, never wore seatbelts as kids, played and ate dirt, drank off of the water hose, on and on and never had a problem. That was then this is now. Population is different, things have evolved. We are looking to move back to the country next year to get away from the city.

Needless to say, dump stations are flat out nasty places especially in the popular parks.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
alparmer what clorox are you talking about. They make many different sprays and they have clorox bleach. How long to you wait till you go in the trailer. Most of the disinfectants you need to let the spray stay on the surface for several minutes for the product to disinfect. I also agree that you can be too clean. Do you not take you shoes off when you go into the trailer?
Try not to focus on what product we use, any disinfecting spray will work. The point is that we've seen a lot of people walk back in their RVs after dumping and we prefer not to do that. It may not be perfect, but it's better than nothing. Wanted to share it since a lot of people may not think about it.

BTW, this is the stuff we use: Clorox® Anywhere® Hard Surface Daily Sanitizing Spray

I do not take my shoes off, even though it's a good idea, but we do clean the floors after we get home. We are lucky not to have too much carpet in our coach.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #33
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Nobody said anything about bleach.

We have a couple of rug rats and can't imagine having hundreds of peoples poo on our floors.
I have managed to raise two strapping young men all the way from zygote to adulthood without hand sanitizers, disinfectant wipes, spray clorox, haz-mat suits or anything else. Just good old soap and water, when required. It's actually amazing how much crap (pun intended) won't actually harm or kill a human child.

Doing the nasty, I wear nitrile gloves, hose everything off judiciously, pay attention to what I am doing and generally not overreact about things. I also keep a stocking with a bar of dial soap in one compartment, that way I can wash up as I am hosing off the pad for the next person.

In my years of camping, I have only once seen the black water go anywhere other than in the drain, or catch basin. And that was some idiot trying to dump tanks while apparently trying to negotiate a hostile takeover of Bank of America on the cellphone, and he didn't notice that his hose was barely connected. Well, actually he DID notice, but only after he pulled the valve handle...

If the worst thing to ever happen to me in my camping life was I happened to trod across some poo-water in the dump station, I would call that a very good deal.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

VERY well said Cowracer. Sounds just like our experiences. Can't believe how any of us made it without all the stuff that is supposedly needed these days and how in the world our parents and grandparents made it. Can you imagine what the folks in covered wagons did?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #35

Things were very different 20 years ago and even more so 40. I don't have a background on germs viruses, or related areas, but it seem logical to me that you wash your hands after you handle something dirty. I would think the surface of a dump station classifies as dirty and you should wash your feet...or shoes, or probably best take them off.

You can search the web about this over sanitizing topic and hear both sides of the story. Both have plenty of valid points.

I personally suffered from ecoli in the past and don't want my kids to go through it. I'm willing to bet there is an ecoli rave in every surrounding area of a dump station. You bring it in with the sole of your shoes, the kids drop food, pick it up and eat it, and there you have it. The odds are greater in an RV because of the confined space.

I know, I know, you've been doing it that way for umpteen years so why change it. That kind of thinking doesn't sit well with me. Think outside the box.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #36

I always wear flip flops and use disposable gloves. Only occasionally do we stay where there is only electric and water, but flip flops are easy to take off when going back into the TT or the truck. Toss them in the back of the truck when done.

I always have hand sanitizer ready to go in my storage compartment too.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
I always wear flip flops and use disposable gloves. Only occasionally do we stay where there is only electric and water, but flip flops are easy to take off when going back into the TT or the truck. Toss them in the back of the truck when done.

I always have hand sanitizer ready to go in my storage compartment too.
Now Blake, when you pull those flops off you should use the hand sanitizer on your feet too. You should sit on the tailgate of the truck swinging your feet until the sanitizer is dry.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Now Blake, when you pull those flops off you should use the hand sanitizer on your feet too. You should sit on the tailgate of the truck swinging your feet until the sanitizer is dry.
I usually squirt it on the ground in front of me all the way to the truck...Just in case there is some poopy on the ground all the way there. One time I missed the truck bed while throwing a flip flop and had to repeat the whole process!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Imagine the look on the pissed off people's faces in line at the CRAP TRAP! Sittin there swinging my feet....LA LA LA, LA LA LA.....

Old 06-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #40
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I sir have drank from the garden hose that, yes, has been out in the garden for several years. I guess if I can survived that, the 30 years as an engineer in the Navy wont give me cancer either.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote