Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #41

Speaking of stinky stuff. For those of you with 351s the location I installed the slinky works like a charm. Remove the cap, and the slinky easily comes off and ready for action.

I also spray Clorox Anywhere on the hose before stowing it away. Ha!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #42
NELA

I guess DH and I have been "lucky". We have stayed quite a few times at sites that are not full service, having to visit the crap station when we left. Not ONCE have we found the area around the poop tube messy. Nor do WE leave it messy.

My job, during this process, is to keep my foot firmly planted on the hose elbow, making sure it stays down IN the poop tube hole.

OMG I just realized something! I walk around and get back in DH's beloved F250 with that shoe still on my foot!

DH uses disposable gloves, and there is also alcohol gel in case there's a glove mishap. He washes out the sewer hose religiously before storing it back in the box where it "lives".

I raised three strapping sons...country boys thru and thru....raised around cows, horses, chickens, geese, ducks, dogs, pigs, bringing frogs and lizards home in their pockets, baby turtles, etc.

After going thru 3 sons worth of dirty diapers, and times that I swear they stood in their bathroom door and just aimed in the general direction, icky stuff just doesn't squick me that much.

They all survived it, now grown men going thru the same ickies I did with their own sons. (I get a kick out of it...thinkin'....packback!)

It's human POO folks! The same stuff you found in your children's diapers. Did you wear gloves and a mask when you changed their diapers? And if you think your children didn't get some of THAT on their hands, you're kiddin' yourself.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #43

It's not my kids poop I'm worried about.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #44

I have a pair of outside shoes that are stored in the basement. Thats what I wear when walking a dump station.Also wear latex gloves and have a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my water bay.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #45

I would be very careful with bleach. It is a very underestimate chemical that can do lots of damage. Like Weezer said its icky but can be handled with common sense and equipment short of a Hazmat suit.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #46
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

I say do what makes you feel comfortable. You aren't harming anyone by being a little more cautious. You probably aren't harming anyone by not being quite so cautious either. Its normally at the end of your camping trip and you need to feel good about it so just do it your way. That applies to the poo feet crew and the alcohol wipes peeps. Whichever you choose, just do it your way.

I'm sure some people here have a little poo on their old Ford F100 carpet from 1960 and couldn't care less about it. Others shampoo their vehicle carpet every month. Do your own thing.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I would be very careful with bleach. It is a very underestimate chemical that can do lots of damage. Like Weezer said its icky but can be handled with common sense and equipment short of a Hazmat suit.
Who said anything about bleach? Okay, I guess .0095% of hypoclorite means bleach.

How Is Clorox Anywhere Different From Bleach Water?
I had my doubts and own set of questions about this product, and one was how could this remain stable, and still be effective? According to Clorox, this new product is different from homemade mixtures of bleach and water. The formulation is a special pH-balance that sanitizes, but still remains as gentle as water. And this is what blew me away, the product remains stable for one year!! No more mixing formulas every morning! This is the product for me!
An explanation of how this works from the Clorox website:
It's a dilute bleach technology that is stabilized by balancing the pH. By itself, diluted bleach is not stable for very long. The key to Clorox® Anywhere Hard Surface™ spray is balancing the pH to a region that delivers good stability. The end product is a ready-to-use, EPA registered sanitizer that is as gentle as water, with no harsh fumes. The concentration of sodium hypochlorite in Clorox® Anywhere Hard Surface™ spray is 0.0095%. This is significantly lower than the sodium hypochlorite level of 6.0% in many common household bleach.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

Much adieu about nothing. Some folks just like to make mountains out of mole hills. Do whatever trips your trigger. We all need a good laugh from time to time just watching the poo station show.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #49

Sorry altarmer I assumed that when you said Clorox that you were talking bleach. I only wanted to warn that bleach causes many trips to ER and is the cause of lots of failed plastic parts. It is very caustic. The product you are referring to sounds like it works good.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Much adieu about nothing. Some folks just like to make mountains out of mole hills. Do whatever trips your trigger. We all need a good laugh from time to time just watching the poo station show.
Sorry OldCoot, not very good with sayings, but what is "Much adieu about nothing? I like it, but don't know what it means.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Two things that amuse us is watching people back up their rigs and mishaps at the POO station.
Weezer I grew up on a farm also so a little poo is nothing as long it's not my hose or connection that fails at the POO station. Then it gets into the real icky stage.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Sorry altarmer I assumed that when you said Clorox that you were talking bleach. I only wanted to warn that bleach causes many trips to ER and is the cause of lots of failed plastic parts. It is very caustic. The product you are referring to sounds like it works good.
I can now see how when I said Clorox Anywhere, it sounds like using Clorox everywhere. My bad, we've been using that product for a while so I thought it was common. Cheers, AL
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #53
Infractee

I don't use gloves... I am a rebel like that. Nothing there that can not be washed off with soap and water. I do have my own black tank flush hose that is dedicated for that purpose only, have seen people use the hoses at dump stations to run down inside the stinky slinky and up into the drain on their camper, that thing is covered in poo...
The flush hose sits in my propane compartment, it does not mingle with my fresh water hoses so I guess I am anal about that. (No pun intended)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #54
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I am a RN and when my kids were little and I was a new nurse and worked in ICU I left my shoes in a box in my trunk and was so freaking careful with my scrubs but after a while .... Well, unless you are immunocompromised ... soap and water are still The Queen.
And kids need to be exposed to normal living. I don't think they should empty the sewer hose. But an infection control MD I work with says kids gotta eat a pound of dirt before puberty to be healthy.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #55
Berkshire 390QS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
I am a RN and when my kids were little and I was a new nurse and worked in ICU I left my shoes in a box in my trunk and was so freaking careful with my scrubs but after a while .... Well, unless you are immunocompromised ... soap and water are still The Queen.
And kids need to be exposed to normal living. I don't think they should empty the sewer hose. But an infection control MD I work with says kids gotta eat a pound of dirt before puberty to be healthy.
X2
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #56

I was thinking about the cleaning your shoes stuff in this thread and thought about everyday living. As a male, (and one that uses male facilities), I think the public restrooms are more to be concerned with than the dump station. Seems like there must be a number of guys that just do not have the needed force to get everything where it should go. So, I guess if I am out somewhere using a public facility I have just about as much or more reason to worry about the bottom of my shoes than when I am at the dump station.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #57

I agree AS Rabbit, touching things & walking on the residue left by someone else can't be helped. Between the bathrooms, coin change that we receive, steering wheel & our shoes to put them on/off, we touch so much & we can only be so clean. I have always believed exposure to some germs makes our bodies reject other germs better. But what do I know.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #58

I always considered the gloves to be useful to add a little protection in case you have a cut or scrape that would be an entry point for those bad little "germs". I think that very few things can infect you through your skin. But a good hand wash afterwards not only kills the germs but seems to help clear the memory of the task just finished.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
I was thinking about the cleaning your shoes stuff in this thread and thought about everyday living. As a male, (and one that uses male facilities), I think the public restrooms are more to be concerned with than the dump station. Seems like there must be a number of guys that just do not have the needed force to get everything where it should go. So, I guess if I am out somewhere using a public facility I have just about as much or more reason to worry about the bottom of my shoes than when I am at the dump station.

When I was in high school I worked at a grocery store in which one of my many duties when I worked there was to clean the restrooms. I to this day am grateful that I use the men's room rather than the ladies. It was always way more nasty then the men's room. Just my observation.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #60

It is always a good idea to be careful at the dump station and your own black tank cap, etc. one poster said we are getting germaphobic and that's why we get sick because we aren't building up immunity. Cold germs and e coli are NOT the same thing. E coli can kill you.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote