Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #31

x2 on what Old Coot says, the Windstar jacks are at least 2x stronger and more sturdy then the factory tin stabilizer jacks, and when placed between the axles under the frame area they STOP the suspension/tire bounce and yes I apply enough lift to the jacks till I see it. The jacks are strong enough that I wouldn't doubt I could raise the side of MY trl enough to change the tire. These coupled with the home made strong arm bars I've made stops about 90% or more of the trl wobble/rocking, and bouncing.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Fulltime family RVer

Well, y'all convinced me! I'll definitely be doing this come spring time. How did you find the jacks for the Windstars?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #33

Boy this gets confusing when trying to explain from a far. You know what a far is??? You get some sticks, boy scout juice and a match. Any way. I got two screw jacks from HF. They were cheap but fairly stout. I tried them on the North Trail just in front of the front axle on the frame. This supports the frame and eliminates the suspension bounce. They helped a lot but the front and rear still move a lot because of the flexing of the corner stab jacks. I mentioned looking at how much the stab jacks flex with inside movement from people walking so you would all realize that those jacks need to be reinforced to reduce the flexing and perhaps that would improve the bounce even more.

TeJay
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #34

Ok...pardon the newbie here...Old Coot, what are bal chocks and and JT type stabilizers? We have quite a bit of movement in our TT. I was thinking that a jack that would hold up the slide-out would help. We have a 17 yr old at the other end of our TT and she walks heavily. I sometimes feel I am going to be bounced out of bed!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #35
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddee View Post
Ok...pardon the newbie here...Old Coot, what are bal chocks and and JT type stabilizers? We have quite a bit of movement in our TT. I was thinking that a jack that would hold up the slide-out would help. We have a 17 yr old at the other end of our TT and she walks heavily. I sometimes feel I am going to be bounced out of bed!
Bal chocks are a brand of wheel chocks that go between the wheels. Another brand is RotoChocks (RotoChoks, spelling?!). There are others, but essentially they go between the 2 wheels on a tandem axle trailer and lock them in place. Vs. wheel chocks that go on the outside of the wheels (rubber or plastic).

JT's are stabilizers that essentially use "triangulation" to steady up the camper at the stabilizers. The go from the stabilizer to the frame and help take some of the movement out. Again, JT's Strongarms are a brand. A knock off is the UltraFab Eliminators. Another is SteadyFast and there's also an RVer who makes and sells his own.

Generally what you're asking about is frowned upon by many manufacturers because they can put undue pressure onto the bottom of the slide floor. It's not meant to be pushed up upon. To get rid of trailer bounce, you need to secure the frame of the trailer in some way.

Personally, I have the wheel chocks and UltraFab Eliminators and still have a fair amount of movement. My plan is to get these scissor jacks for under the frame ahead of and behind the axle and hope to get rid of most of it with them.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
phat phrog stunt crew

How did you find the jacks for the Windstars?

ahhhh, the almost lost art of scouring junk yards. shouldnt be too hard to find if you have a u pull it/pick a part near you, or any other self service junkyard. probably no more than 5 bucks apeice.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #37

Ependydad: Just went to the local junk yard and started looking in the trunks of cars & vans till I found a jack that fit "my needs" which happended to be from the Windstar, but they might not fit your needs depending on how the frame of your trl is at the point that you want to use them. My Rockwood 2604 has a steel plate welded to the frame right between the 2 axles that allows the jack plate to slip over the 3/8" steel plate perfectly.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Did something similar to ours.
Nice mod but I would place a piece of something solid under the jacks, the stones are going to move and the bounce will still be there....Forest River should follow your mod, why they stay with the same design that doesn"t not work I"ll never understand
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #39

I use Bal XChock between the wheels. A tripod on the on the king pin. Four 6000lbs, 30" scissor jacks behind and in front of the tires to stop suspension movement. The trailer is very steady. The tripod is the less effective. Used this same system for years, even way our prior tongue pull.
----------------------------
Nights camping:
(31) 2014, (18) 2013, (62) 2012, (57) 2011
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #40

OK, I think we can all agree that the corner electric stabalizer jacks are nice but don't really stop the bounce. The center of the unit probably flexes some which puts you back on the bounce of the suspension. Scissor jacks placed on the frame somewhere in the middle would help with the frame flex and also eliminate suspension bounce. That still does not affect the flexing of the corner electric jacks. My original point was to alert everybody to the flexing of the corner jacks and determine if a few added pieces of angle iron or flat steel or aluminum to those existing corner jacks would not also help to improve the overall movement as a result of frame flex and suspension bounce.
I know a few of you engineer minded DIY'ers always enjoy a challenge. Observe the corner jack flexing and suggest a possible way of reinforcing them in some way shape or form. I believe a few well placed pieces of metal would improve their stability a good deal and that would have to help the TT bounce. Shocks added to the unit should/would also damped the movement as well. TJMTCW

It's getting on to winter here and with the Xmas holiday, kitchen cabinet project etc. I have not taken the real time to address the issue but I will following the new year. and weather permitting.

HAPPY & SAFE CAMPING, TRAVELING AND HOLIDAYS
Thanks,
TeJay