Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
cjl

storage door won't unlock

Help! Please! I purchased a 2013 surveyor SP2402 weeks ago everthing worked fine locks door etc. Now that I have it home The outside kitchens 2 locks won't unlock. The key goes in and wiggles a little but it won't turn in either lock. I sprayed some lock graphite but that didn't help. ALL suggestions welcome. I don't want to drive the 180 miles back to the dealer.
cjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl View Post
Help! Please! I purchased a 2013 surveyor SP2402 weeks ago everthing worked fine locks door etc. Now that I have it home The outside kitchens 2 locks won't unlock. The key goes in and wiggles a little but it won't turn in either lock. I sprayed some lock graphite but that didn't help. ALL suggestions welcome. I don't want to drive the 180 miles back to the dealer.
Are they barrel keys or just regular keys?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
cjl

regular keys
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl
Do you have your camper in a bind ?

My old tt if I got it (twisted) a little when I set it up one of the cubby doors wouldn't unlock .
The cams were in a bind and I couldn't turn them.
A few times this was because one stabilizer was to tight and or another to loose.
I think this may be your problem .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Try applying less pressure. It's hard to explain but my locks will only unlock with a light touch of pressure. The trick is finding the right amount of pressure.

I ended up seperating my keys by adding another ring on the keychain so I could tell the keys apart easier. I have a key to a padlock that looks a lot like the 751 key and more than once tried using the wrong key.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
cjl

I know we're using the right key and all we did was unhitch the trailer and put in storage. Tomorrow we're going to rty and make sure it's level and try again. Wish us luck. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Question? Did the key go in easy or did you force the key in?

If you forced the key in then there is a chance you could have damaged the lock...The locks that are used on camper doors do not have pins in them, they have disc tumbler, they are just like furniture locks. The disc's are made of thin brass material that can bend very easy if the wrong key is used and once they are bent it's over, they have to be drilled out.

The other thing you can try is insert the key and before you turn the cylinder push in on the door near the lock area then turn the key, some times the cam on the lock that holds and locks the door may be tight on the frame, by pushing on it may take some of the pressure off of the cam so that the cylinder will turn.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

Sometimes mine won't open unless I apply inward pressure on the door. Don't force the key - it will easily break off. Basically the lock is a lever arm that is resting against the inside lip of the compartment. Not much force will hold it in place. So try a little pressure on the door panel in the corner by the lock and slowly turn the key. Good luck!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I know we're using the right key and all we did was unhitch the trailer and put in storage. Tomorrow we're going to rty and make sure it's level and try again. Wish us luck. Thanks for your comments.
Stop by the dealer and pick up a new lock (preferably the barrel key lock), and from home, a cordless drill and 1/2" bit, cresent wrench, screwdriver and if you can't get it to open, drill that sucker out and replace it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
cjl

Thank you for all your responses!!!!
The problem has been solved, I hate to say how but here I go.
On the other storage holes the key goes in teeth down. We discovered on the outside kitchen door the key teeth go UP. The locks opened right up. To my amazement you could insert thekey into these locks in either direction but the other doors the key won't even go in unless it's pointed the right way. I feel stupid. Oh well live and learn. Again thanks for all your responses.

2007 Avalanche
2012 Surveyor SP240
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl
On the other storage holes the key goes in teeth down. We discovered on the outside kitchen door the key teeth go UP. The locks opened right up. To my amazement you could insert thekey into these locks in either direction but the other doors the key won't even go in unless it's pointed the right way. I feel stupid. Oh well live and learn. Again thanks for all your responses.

2007 Avalanche
2012 Surveyor SP240
Lol my camper has one way and two way keys too.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #12

Great news! Just goes to show you - if things aren't working easily, you must be doing it wrong.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:

2007 Avalanche
2012 Surveyor SP240
Now that you've figured it out, put a small dot of contrasting color paint on the lock to show where the 'teeth' or flat go.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Ditto on solving the problem.

Funny....my key teeth goes up.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote