Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #101

Storage solution

I have the ultimate solution for WDH bar storage. This is what i did! I bought a fifth wheel.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
I have the ultimate solution for WDH bar storage. This is what i did! I bought a fifth wheel.
I solved the problem also by buying a new Tiffin Diesel Pusher! OOPs I forgot this is a Forrest RiverForum.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:49 AM   #103

Mine are dry as a bone. Lay them on the floor in the trailer entry on two short 2x4s. I hit the hitch end of the bar pivots with WD40 at hitch up, and every day of traveling. Happy as a clam.
I ruined too many shirts and pants when I used grease
My 2 cents.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #104

There is NO GREASE on my E-4 Bars. I only grease the knuckle contact points where ROCKFORDROO's illustration shows. I use these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the L Bracket. I have little to NO NOISE maneuvering around. I store the bars inside the front compartment.

It's not a big deal really and don't waste a ton of bandwidth on it.

Marty
Old 10-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by x90rider View Post
Below the storage box you can see the end of a torsion bar. I installed a piece of 3" aluminum square tubing on each side of the trailer frame. They angle down slightly and are welded together under the center of the trailer. This helps keep the torsion bars in the tubing during storage or when moving around at home. This has definitely solved the problem of "what to do with the greasy torsion bars" at a campsite or at home.

your set up is the same as mine … I bought my trailer and hitch used and don't know who makes the hitch...can you tell me who makes it or send me a link???
also, I don't know if I am suppose to but I grease both the part that fits in near the ball (along with the ball) and the part that rubs near the chains...don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it defiantly makes the whole shebang quieter...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #106

Check out the Outback 312BH folder. Storage for hitch head and bars, all on A-frame of trailer.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=85F7A...1602&sc=photos

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkris View Post
i think phat steve is winner!!!!
👍🏻
CampinKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfikser View Post
your set up is the same as mine … I bought my trailer and hitch used and don't know who makes the hitch...can you tell me who makes it or send me a link???
also, I don't know if I am suppose to but I grease both the part that fits in near the ball (along with the ball) and the part that rubs near the chains...don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it defiantly makes the whole shebang quieter...

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66130.html

I grease mine the same way and have zero problems or sway.
x90rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #109

No grease

I used Teflon pads instead of greasing bars. Kept away from the mess and was quiet.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oltimer13 View Post
I used Teflon pads instead of greasing bars. Kept away from the mess and was quiet.
Can you explain what kind of teflon pads you use?

Thanks.

2018 Forest River Flagstaff E-PRO 19FBS
2107 Toyota Highlander
NC_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #111
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_RVer View Post
Can you explain what kind of teflon pads you use?

Thanks.
He's probably referring to the Equal-i-zer Bracket Jackets, for the L bars.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
For most turns you shouldn't have to remove the Equal-I-Zer hitch bars. I found that to be a big advantage over the old friction sway bars. I can almost jackknife my trailer and the bars don't need to be removed. I have a great way of storing the bars, though, and will share it with you as soon as I can get a picture of the installation. The cost is about $25 for all the parts and there is no drilling into the trailer frame. Will post soon.
OK so here is what I did for storage of my bars. Since I don't take the hitch itself off the truck when camping, I only have the bars to store. The nice part is you can take the bars out of the hitch and put them on the trailer with one move and they are at the same level.
It was easy to make, and didn’t interfere with any operation of the bars and made it easy to secure them to the trailer while camping. I have used it for several years (5 actually) and found it to be easy to work with and simple to build.
I added a picture of what I put together for my Equalizer hitch bars. There is a holder on each side. It works very well and keeps them out of the way and lets me lock them up at the same time. Basically, it consists of putting two square U-bolts around the frame (so you don't have to poke a hole or drill a hole in your TT) and attaching a metal conduit "rigid pipe strap" to the bottom of the U-bolt so it sticks out over the side of the frame. I believe I used a 2-1/2-inch size. You use one to hold up the front of the bar and one to hold up the rear of the bar. The U-bolts are just slipped over the frame and tightened down, and the pipe strap is slipped onto the same bolt. All the parts are available in most hardware stores. In the front pipe strap, I drilled a hole the same size as the hole in the bar so you can slip a long-shackle lock through it so it doesn't walk away (minimum security). I found on my TT that the holders are high enough not to be in the way of anything when the bars are in the “hooked-up” mode and work very well. Since our trailer is stored indoors, when it is in storage, the bars are just put on the holders and the locks are left unlocked. The pictures show each side of the trailer with the bar on the holder. Hope this still can help someone. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	270A1730.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	191020   Click image for larger version

Name:	270A1731.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	191021  
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #113

Ziploc bags

I put Ziploc bags over the greasy ends. Cheap, don’t leak or mess things, and disposable every now and then. Work great.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvtxman View Post
I put Ziploc bags over the greasy ends. Cheap, don’t leak or mess things, and disposable every now and then. Work great.
I'm still at a loss regarding why any of you have greasy ends. The bars are NOT supposed to be greased.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm still at a loss regarding why any of you have greasy ends. The bars are NOT supposed to be greased.
I use a Reece hitch with trunnion bars. I certainly lube the ball and socket ends.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
I use a Reece hitch with trunnion bars. I certainly lube the ball and socket ends.
I think the original question centered on Equalizer brand hitch bars. All WDH's use bars but the Equalizer brand controls sway with friction on the trailer end of the spring bar.

Others like me use a hitch that requires grease either on the trunions or part that is inserted vertically in the hitch head.

Bottom line, if you have bars that have grease on one end storage becomes more problematic as the greasy end needs to be covered and they shouldn't just be tossed on the dirt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
OK so here is what I did for storage of my bars. Since I don't take the hitch itself off the truck when camping, I only have the bars to store. The nice part is you can take the bars out of the hitch and put them on the trailer with one move and they are at the same level.

It was easy to make, and didn’t interfere with any operation of the bars and made it easy to secure them to the trailer while camping. I have used it for several years (5 actually) and found it to be easy to work with and simple to build.

I added a picture of what I put together for my Equalizer hitch bars. There is a holder on each side. It works very well and keeps them out of the way and lets me lock them up at the same time. Basically, it consists of putting two square U-bolts around the frame (so you don't have to poke a hole or drill a hole in your TT) and attaching a metal conduit "rigid pipe strap" to the bottom of the U-bolt so it sticks out over the side of the frame. I believe I used a 2-1/2-inch size. You use one to hold up the front of the bar and one to hold up the rear of the bar. The U-bolts are just slipped over the frame and tightened down, and the pipe strap is slipped onto the same bolt. All the parts are available in most hardware stores. In the front pipe strap, I drilled a hole the same size as the hole in the bar so you can slip a long-shackle lock through it so it doesn't walk away (minimum security). I found on my TT that the holders are high enough not to be in the way of anything when the bars are in the “hooked-up” mode and work very well. Since our trailer is stored indoors, when it is in storage, the bars are just put on the holders and the locks are left unlocked. The pictures show each side of the trailer with the bar on the holder. Hope this still can help someone. Enjoy!

Very good idea. When the weather breaks in Ny(April hopefully) this will be on the list!!!!
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael4017 View Post
Very good idea. When the weather breaks in Ny(April hopefully) this will be on the list!!!!
If you have any questions/problems, feel free to contact me on the private message system.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #119
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael4017 View Post
x2 FOR SURE! Except that I live in Florida so I will be doing it TODAY! I have been using pool noodles cut in half along the battery tray at the front of my TT and resting the Equalizer bars on those. It has worked fine, but you have to lift the bars up and out; I like having them basically flush with the hitch - will be just a bit easier on my back and every little bit helps!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
x2 FOR SURE! Except that I live in Florida so I will be doing it TODAY! I have been using pool noodles cut in half along the battery tray at the front of my TT and resting the Equalizer bars on those. It has worked fine, but you have to lift the bars up and out; I like having them basically flush with the hitch - will be just a bit easier on my back and every little bit helps!
Sounds great. In Michigan right now it is 31 degrees. We were at Disney for the Halloween festivities and enjoyed all the warm weather. Everything to make the "rack" is regular hardware stuff, so it shouldn't be a problem finding it. I did put lock washers and an extra nut on the U bolt to keep the pipe straps from turning and haven't had a problem with that at all. If you have the V front, like we do, the U bolt closest to the TT body slips on and then slides under the body. On ours there was room between the frame and the body to do it. Takes about a half hour to do both sides. The only drilling is to put the holes in the front pipe straps for the locks, if you want them. Do post a picture when it is done. Good luck.

Tags
storage, sway