Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

Storage tips

Hey all! Newbie here! My wife and I purchased a jay flight 17c about a month ago. I had been around campers my whole life and thought I had done a decent job at weeding out the damaged campers we looked at but the more I looked at our purchase the more evidence I started to find of water damage (ceiling droops, wavy putter panels). I was completely sick about it and two weeks after buying our first camper we bought our second. We ended up buying a 2015 coachman Catalina 273bh. We love it but as soon as we got it home we encountered our first problem. The camper being 10'7" tall did not fit in my 10' barn door-boooo! I could not stand the thought of it sitting outside being damaged by the sun so I dug out under the door and squeezed it in. I feel much better with it inside but was wondering what other storage tips people may have. We live in sw Indiana and it is very hot and humid! I have a good dehumidifier sitting around should I consider putting this in the TT when not in use?? Should I leave windows open?? Should I run a fan inside when in storage? Any input is greatly appreciated!
blaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #2

We are newbies too but we put a big bucket of damp rid in the kitchen sink and are getting some of the hang up damp rids to put in the bedroom closets. We also put vent covers over the vents in the living room and bathroom and keep the vents cracked just a little for circulation. We are looking into getting a dehumidifier but are trying to find one that works well but is also not too big so that it can fit in somewhere without being in our way. OUr storage facility does not have electricity so we'd use the dehumidifier only when we're camping.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Thanks scootingranny! How long does damprid last and do you know when it is time to be replaced?
blaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

How long the damprid lasts is dependant on how humid it is in your rv. We put one in ours in March, replaced it in July (we are in the Dallas area). The contents of the bucket turn into water so when the bucket is totally watery, that's when you replace. Not sure how long the closet ones will last. Hope to put those in on Sunday.

Tags
storage