Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Lightbulb Supply recommendations?

We have about 6 weeks before our new TT arrives. I want to know what you recommend we buy in preparation for our new camping lifestyle. I want to know about all the fun stuff, cool gadgets, what products work, what products to avoid, and stuff we shouldn't camp without. Things from coupler locks to storage organization and everything in between!
Some information about us: we have 2 daughters (4 and 6 yrs), we will be in a Surveyor SV291, and most of our camping will be weekends to a week maximum.
Thank you all!
VRMHW-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
H2oski

First off WELCOME. Do a search for supplies needed and you will get an idea. Examples of these are

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eded-7680.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ist-16788.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ice-21187.html

Trying to figure out what you need is half the fun.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

We've been in our first TT now for about 3 months... so far, we've looked into a lot the stuff you are now thinking about. Purchased the following:

Wt Distr Hictch - Fastway E2 $325
Outdoor 9'x12' Nylon Mat (don't get outdoor carpet) $50
Surge Protector - Progressive Industries EMS 30amp $275
Anti-flap clamps for awning (not really need unless windy) $9
Brake Control Unit $79
MemoryFoam Mattress Pad ($50)
Collapsable Nylon Dog Crate ($29 from Walmart)
Long Butane Lighter (for gas stove & outdoor grill) $2
Coffeemaker just for the TT ($8.97 Ryval at Walmart)
Water Pressure Valve - $7?
Outdoor Lights (tiny bulb Christmas tree lights will do if you already have)
Rubber Mallet (for pounding on the WDH bars) $4
Long Padlock for trailer hitch $15
Rhino Flex Waste hose $32
Adaptor to use shore power cord at home 110 outlet $6
Drill bit for stablizer Jacks $3 (if you want to use your cordless drill)
Single Ply Toilet tissue (they make some for TT's)
Chemical for black water holding tank (can also use Calgon & Lq Laundry Soap)
Tow Vehicle Mirror $20
Finally... Ford F150 4x4 !

In addition, you should try to ensure dealer provides as much as possible such as Water hose, Crapper hose, Shore Power extension cord, outdoor gas grill, Choc blocks, etc... never hurts to ask.

I'm sure this list is not complete... seems like there's always something else. Suggest continue to use the FR Forum as this is a great resource where folks are happy to help when you have a question. Lastly, YouTube is also a good resource that can "show" you how to do or operate things.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Thanks! I just want to be prepared as possible for our first weekend outing. I appreciate the links and the list. I have a list i have started but knew there were things i hadn't even thought of.
Happy camping!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

First off Welcome as well! We are 7 months into our first TT and I'm still finding things to make it nice. Freedom Tracker gave a good list & I'll try to add a couple things;

Besides hoses (in & out), obtain a pressure regulator for the fresh water hose as well as an angled input for the side of the trailer. This helps prevent internal ruptures & leaks outside.
Wheel chocks and the “large Lego blocks” for leveling the trailer side to side.
Add bubble levels to the back and one side of the trailer so your fridge will work. (This will take a little time to get it right.)
Pizza stone for the oven, even out the heat (see threads on this)

Things we added from the start were:
Electric Tongue Jack
Roof Vent Covers
Full Lock set for receiver, ball hitch area on trailer & ball release lever on trailer.
Tire covers
Small tool kit & First Aid kit
Disposable gloves for handling the Rhino Hose
Binder for all the manuals you will get…

2 places to shop are Wal-Mart then Camping World

Enjoy!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Team

You are going to have lots of fun getting your TT ready! There will be some items you will need or want to buy right away for sure. I started off borrowing from the house to help keep costs down but also to see if I really needed it or would use it. I hate to tell you but this list never ends.

Everyone has their own organization systems so you will come across many good ideas for sure. I like the "Keep it simple" method and my unit reflects that. Until more company starts dropping by I'm not going to carry extra stuff. As you start putting stuff away you will find what works for your family.

A couple of weeks ago I brought all kinds of plastic storage containers in various sizes. I ended up keeping only a couple but was able to rule out some that I've looking at.

Enjoy your new TT!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #7

one thing I would add to the list is 3 or 4 sets of lynx leveler blocks or equivalent. as it really sucks to get to your site and not be able to level side to side.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

I started to make lists for things to do, check, load, etc.
I have over 180 items.
The lists include sharp knife, knives, forks, liquid soap, washcloths, air trailer tires, sunglasses, journal, pens, cable lock, flashlights, and so on.
Many items will be stocked in the TT and truck so the lists will get much shorter after our first trip.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Any thoughts out there about a coupler lock (or some other type of lock)? We will be storing the TT in a public storage lot and want to secure it. There seem to be many types available. It is a tad overwhelming. This is one thing I would like to have immediately.
What about a cover? It looks like we will be storing the unit without building coverage at least for the first year. Should we invest in a cover? Or do they hold in moisture? Brands? Fabrics?
Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

I use a lock similar to this one
Products - Towing Security - 1471DAT - Master LockŪ

I used an ADCO SFS AquaShed cover on the pop up
~~ ADCO Products, Inc. ~~ Protect your investment with an ADCO Product

One of the neighbors has an ADCO designer series cover and it does look nice.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #11

don't use a cover. when the wind blows the cover moves rubbing off paint decals etc.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #12

I have found items on Craigslist..Example..Brand new.. never been used... coleman propane 2 burner stove.. $50..Also..a 30 amp extension cord 25 ft $20...look under sporting goods or..rvs
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

As long as they fit, not sure how much better one is over the other. A couple of years ago, we forgot our key to the lock on a pop-up. As you may know, on a PU camper you have to detach the TV to move the front slide out. Fortunately, we borrowed a bolt cutter from the park ranger... it snapped that lock into like a toothpick!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
As long as they fit, not sure how much better one is over the other. A couple of years ago, we forgot our key to the lock on a pop-up. As you may know, on a PU camper you have to detach the TV to move the front slide out. Fortunately, we borrowed a bolt cutter from the park ranger... it snapped that lock into like a toothpick!

I have an armored Master lock that has thick square claddinig over the ends to prevent use of a bolt cutter. Its a tank of a lock, but it doesn't matter what you use, if they want it they will find a way to get it.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Site Team

[QUOTE=Rsgtivr6;195400]I have an armored Master lock that has thick square claddinig over the ends to prevent use of a bolt cutter. Its a tank of a lock, but it doesn't matter what you use, if they want it they will find a way to get it.[/QUOTE]

True. But I rather make it a little harder for them to steal it in the first place. My TT is stored at a public storage place and I do use a coupler lock that I got from WalMart. I keep the spare key in the trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #16

My best suggestion is a simple one, if I can't use it for more then one thing I don't buy it. My ottomans are used for extra seating, footstools and storage, my "broom" sweeping and mopping the vinyl floors.
But I also doubled on on some things..Can opener - hand and electric, coffee-pot perk and electric.
I was very surprised but my new square dishes seem to work better in the cupboard then any round ones that I have ever had. One of my must haves is a roll of the nonslip material to put into the cupboards and silverware drawers.
Enjoy finding out what YOU need for YOUR camping enjoyment.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Yeah, we bought a full set of square plates and bowls for the camper at Home Goods and a bunch of plastic tumblers at the Dollar Tree today. Spent a total of $20 and got a good set of dishes for the TT. Next trip to Sam's we will get the jumbo roll of nonskid shelf lining, lol.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #18

I bought a full set of locks for the trailer to prevent someone from trying to take it with them. As others have said "if they really want it they'll will find a way". Here are pictures of the set I bought, so far so good...
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote