Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #1

Surge protector

Anybody have experience with surge protector for the power pole? All the reviews are mixed. I take reviews with a grain of salt. I would rather hear what actual rv owners have to say. I have a 2017 wildwood 33 foot travel trailer with 30 amp service. Its new and i would like to keep it that way. Have never used a surge protector before. Have been camping since i was a kid. Been rv'ing sincethe early 70's. love it.
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

You don't want a surge protector, you want an EMS (electric monitoring system). The EMS protects again surges (which are rare) and a lot more (which can be more common).

Progressive Industries is the company to go to for an EMS.

Read this for more details:
http://learntorv.com/what-surge-prot...est-for-my-rv/
Old 03-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #3

Yep, ependydad is correct. I'd also recommend the PI units. Saved my bacon a couple times.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

X2
I have a Progressive Industries unit hard wired into my camper. It has shut down the power coming into the camper when we hooked to a pole that was wired incorrectly. The campground had crew on duty to fix the pole right away and we were able to start or camping and not have to worry about it.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

X3 for the Progressive. Think of it as cheap insurance. May never need it, but if you do, it will save you 5-10 times its cost in not having to replace your rigs electronics if there's a surge or low power fault.
Saved us twice in past two years.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

What do you use to secure it to the pole ig you don't integrate into the trailer?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Another firm believer in them.

Progressive Industries are the best and stand behind their product. Now the only decision is do you want hard wired or portable.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I thought I wanted hard wired until a buddy of mine with a monster toy hauler pointed out that he plugs his in first to test the power on the pole, BEFORE he maneuvers into the space. If it comes up with issues he will move on to another site. Sure beats getting set up and then finding out there are problems and having to move.

However the potential exists for a portable unit to get stolen. I have never had one stolen or heard of one being stolen.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #8

dbledan, Many web sites that sell PI EMS also sell cable locks that you can secure the unit to the pedestal. One site you can take a look at is ".technorv.com". We have used them before and Eric is super to help and very knowledgeable in RV's. Good Luck and Happy RVing!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Team

I understand what you're saying but how many times will you back into a
site and find it's got bad power???
I've had my hard wired progressive for 2+ years and used it from Maine to
California and never had to move out of a site due to bad power.
But we've been rained on many, many times. Mine is high and dry
inside- behind my fusebox/power converter. I've seen posts here where
someone's outside surge protector got a fogged up display from sitting
in the bad weather.

Plus, I like to keep an eye on my display to check voltage and current draw- especially in the morning when the coffee pot and electric fireplace are both on.
I don't think you can do that with a portable one out on the power post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Another firm believer in them.

Progressive Industries are the best and stand behind their product. Now the only decision is do you want hard wired or portable.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I thought I wanted hard wired until a buddy of mine with a monster toy hauler pointed out that he plugs his in first to test the power on the pole, BEFORE he maneuvers into the space. If it comes up with issues he will move on to another site. Sure beats getting set up and then finding out there are problems and having to move.

However the potential exists for a portable unit to get stolen. I have never had one stolen or heard of one being stolen.

Aaron
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

Progressive Industries EMS is by far superior. Offers the most protection and only brand with lifetime warranty.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

Another vote for Progressive Industries. See where this is going? You won't be disappointed.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Another vote for Progressive Industries. See where this is going? You won't be disappointed.
X2
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
What do you use to secure it to the pole ig you don't integrate into the trailer?
I am in the Majority on the PI EMS system! I would not hook up ANYWHERE, including in my driveway, without hooking that up first.

I am in the Minority by preferring the portable unit. I don't really need to constantly see the output readouts. And it's SO much easier. SO tight of a space (in my camper) to try and wire it in permanently, and I'm basically too lazy!! LOL

I just stuck a wire cable (Lowe's) through the attached clip and lock it to the pole.........sometimes. Mostly I don't worry about it. Campers don't steal stuff, and I just simply do not worry about it. But I DO lock it when I think about it, and it can be done. I'm just not so anal as to worry that it MIGHT get stolen. IF you are, then get the hard wired.

I also know that if a truly BIG electrical event happens, the unit is going to be fried........by doing its job. And PI will replace it. Much easier to replace a portable unit (there's that lazy thing again).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

EMS

Thanks to all who tuned me into the progressive industries EMS. After reading all your outstanding advice i ordered one from amazon. I came up with a way to secure it better than the flimsy attachment progressive uses. I heated a piece of 1/2 inch round stock and fashioned it into sort of a circle big enough for the 30 amp cord to fit as well as my 1/2 inch cable lock i used to use for my tree stands when i still deer hunted. When the EMS arrives i can permanently install it on the EMS cord and then weld it shut. If somebody wants to take it they better have a cutting torch cause these have been tested with saws and bolt cutters and they will not work. I guess i'm lucky i have a full shop with just about every tool known to man. As well as air compressor and wire welder. I seem to get myself stuck fabricating alot of stuff. Thanks again i knew you would come through.
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #15

A person is money ahead when they buy a PI EMS to buy the 50AMP unit! They can be "moved/used" on either "30 or 50 Amp service"! That way when/if you move to a 50Amp RV you just install it in that RV,no Loss of $$ when you sell it to buy a 50AMP,Besides they are a "LIFETIME UNIT" to ONLY you NOT the person who buys it from you! PI will tell you where to install the jumper for 30AMP use,which will be removed for the 50AMP use! Buy the 50 AMP ONCE,for a LIFETIME! Youroo!!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You don't want a surge protector, you want an EMS (electric monitoring system). The EMS protects again surges (which are rare) and a lot more (which can be more common).

Progressive Industries is the company to go to for an EMS.

Read this for more details:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Not to be picky, but surge protector like Jell-O is a word everyone uses to describe incoming electric display. EMS is just a marketing name. I have a link system, Inv/Chgr, and many other monitors installed plus dedicated "surge protectors" too.

I have a HW unit and as a precaution, I just use a voltmeter (can be had for under $5) before I plug in to be sure. Can wipe it out if need be and save $$$, .... Don't have to mess with a portable and its drawbacks, but everyone has to decide what is best for them.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

I am a terrible consumer, I have been using this SP from day one.

No issues with it even during the cool rainy days we spent in Rapid City, SD.

Hot, windy and dry in NM last year without a hiccup, humid rainy days in Texas raised no concerns.

100+ degrees in Las Vegas next to Sam's Town and the only gamble was at the slot machines.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S;1435545[/QUOTE
EMS is just a marketing name.
Not even close. EMS is PIs higher end unit. The protection it provides beats the pants off a unit that is surge protection only. It's monitoring everything all the time and shuts down power if something goes out of range. Cheaper models won't save you from low voltage brown outs, which happen more often than people realize in the peak of the summer AC season.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Mine is high and dry
inside- behind my fusebox/power converter.
Plus, I like to keep an eye on my display to check voltage and current draw- especially in the morning when the coffee pot and electric fireplace are both on.
X2 - my power center is under the fridge. Plenty of room behind it to put in the PI PMS. Put the display on the other side of the panel where I can see it from outside.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
Citrus County, Fl.

I have used shore power at home on a pedestal I installed in 1999. As soon as I plugged in after installing my PI EMS in 2015 it shut the power down. Reversed polarity which really was not an issue unless I was touching metal and the ground.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote