Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #1

Surge Protector?

Just bought my first TT, Grey Wolf 26DBH. Do I need to purchase a surge protector? 30 amp power. If I do, any worries about theft....seems like anyone could unplug a $200 one and just walk. Looking for recommendations for need, brand, and security. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

After too much research, we installed a Progressive Industries hard wired unit with the display.

1- My memory is so crappy I would have left the plug-in one behind eventually.
2- It has saved our coach many times.
3- I like the on / off switch for when we use our generator
4- The display tells us by a code, what the problem is / was.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigator View Post
Just bought my first TT, Grey Wolf 26DBH. Do I need to purchase a surge protector? 30 amp power. If I do, any worries about theft....seems like anyone could unplug a $200 one and just walk. Looking for recommendations for need, brand, and security. Thanks.
Yes, you need one if you want to protect your electronics. I've always installed an internal one from Progressive Industries, so no one can mess with or steal an external one. Also, with the internal surge protectors you don't have to mess around with something else to plug in when you get to your site.
FR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR27 View Post
Yes, you need one if you want to protect your electronics. I've always installed an internal one from Progressive Industries, so no one can mess with or steal an external one. Also, with the internal surge protectors you don't have to mess around with something else to plug in when you get to your site.
X2, and I agree with the comment about not being able to forget it!!!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #5

X11
Pay me now or pay me later and cry.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
All of those answered and more:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Add up what it'll cost to replace all your on board electronics : fridge, tv, microwave, water heater, AC, furnace, etc. Then you make the decision. Progressive Industries is the brand of choice here. Go with an EMS unit, so much more that just a surge protector. Link: Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I bought the same camper. I installed the Progressive EMS-HW30. I purchased from Amazon for $240. I bought that one for the exact reasons you mentioned. I didn't want to have it stolen or left behind. I like that the display tells you how much power you're using and that it cuts power in a low voltage situation (saving a/c unit from damage). Install was easy. The unit is mounted under the bunks in the back and I put the remote display right above the thermostat. I'll post pictures of the installation when I get a chance this evening.
Mmcglynn264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes, well worth the money. We never had one and started using 1 last season. First evening we used it all the power went off to the coach. Went outside to check on it, thought for sure something was wrong with the device as power was on outside, noticed other campers having no problems. Turns out the voltage had dropped causing the device to turn power off based on the error code. Once voltage was returned to a safe level it restored the power to the coach. We were running our AC so the low voltage could have done damage to the compressor if the surge protector had not worked. As far as theft goes the device we have allows you to lock it to the pedestal or power box with a small loop of chain and a pad lock. I have never actually locked it down, but I can if I want to.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #10

Another vote for Progressive Industries EMS hardwired unit. Mine saves me a couple times a year from something. It's always there, so it's always working.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Another vote for Progressive Industries EMS hardwired unit. Mine saves me a couple times a year from something. It's always there, so it's always working.
How DIY friendly is the installation on something like this? I have mild knowledge with electronics.
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #12

I thought the installation was pretty straight forward. Working with 10 gage wire isn't easy - the stuff is stiff. I installed my unit behind the power panel/converter. That meant a bit of contortionist bending. I did not cut any wires. Rather I pulled the main feed off of the power panel and put it on the input side of the EMS. I bought a short section of wire that I used to go from the output of the EMS back onto the input of the power panel (main breaker).

You can find all of the install manuals at: Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #13

My EMS-HW30 install (including remote display) 2018 26DBH

I just removed wires from back of trailer's receptacle, connected them to surge protector then used small length of 10/2 wire to connect from surge to back of receptacle. All was accessable by removing plywood from bottom bunk. I then made a whole in wood paneling under bunk and fished display wire up and out by thermostat. Works perfectly. Surge can also be accessed through rear storage hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_124154.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	164412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_112458.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	164413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_112505.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	164414  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #14

I'd love to put the hardwired in - but with my luck my 'rewiring the coach' will somehow bite me in the backside when it comes warranty or ESP time.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I thought the installation was pretty straight forward. Working with 10 gage wire isn't easy - the stuff is stiff. I installed my unit behind the power panel/converter. That meant a bit of contortionist bending. I did not cut any wires. Rather I pulled the main feed off of the power panel and put it on the input side of the EMS. I bought a short section of wire that I used to go from the output of the EMS back onto the input of the power panel (main breaker).

You can find all of the install manuals at: Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Next use #10 sjo cord. stranded wire.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcglynn264 View Post
I just removed wires from back of trailer's receptacle, connected them to surge protector then used small length of 10/2 wire to connect from surge to back of receptacle. All was accessable by removing plywood from bottom bunk. I then made a whole in wood paneling under bunk and fished display wire up and out by thermostat. Works perfectly. Surge can also be accessed through rear storage hatch.
I love sideways pictures in the morning... it helps me stretch and crack my neck. Cheers.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
I love sideways pictures in the morning... it helps me stretch and crack my neck. Cheers.
I know right?! When I uploaded them they were straight. Guess the website thought you might need to work out some kinks.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #18

this is a great thread for a guy new to this...

Thanks!

R
RSW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
I like most that you printed the error codes and have it right there. I have to google for the dang instructions every time!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #20

Quote:
I know right?! When I uploaded them they were straight. Guess the website thought you might need to work out some kinks.
My money's on you using an I-phone. They don't play nice with this forum.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote