Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

Tankless water heater

Anyone know if you can install a tankless water heater in a 5th wheel?
Ga Patriot Guard Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

As long as it is meant to run on propane why not. There are some rv ones out there.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

Sure you can, but you likely wont like the outcome. Unless they have a steady flow/presure you can encounter hot/cold during showers.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

Absolutely! We have had a Girard gen1 for six years and love it. If I was to buy a new RV it WILL have a tankless and I would probably go with a Truma, as the Trumas seem to have the most technological advancement.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Absolutely! We have had a Girard gen1 for six years and love it. If I was to buy a new RV it WILL have a tankless and I would probably go with a Truma, as the Trumas seem to have the most technological advancement.
What is the temp swing on yours? I have been looking at them but my uncles was not a great performer and only supported about a 35 degree swing. It may have just been older so I am debating on spending more time looking at them.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
What is the temp swing on yours? I have been looking at them but my uncles was not a great performer and only supported about a 35 degree swing. It may have just been older so I am debating on spending more time looking at them.
I've never really understood folks talking about max temp differential with tankless. The slower the flow through heater, the hotter the water. We have stayed for weeks where the temp was in the teens, and still had hot water. Given, the flow was very low, so it was not a strong shower, but the water was hot. Conversely, when it's 110 outside, we max the hot flow and add from the cold side to cool it off enough.

We have the first generation Girard, so the newer ones should perform even better. The Truma I mentioned seems to be the preferred brand these days, but I haven't been able to play with one yet to test the improvements.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

I put one in my 06 Toyhauler about 5 years ago. My new 17 38EL has one to. Yes the temperature fluctuations is a pain at first, but once you master it they are awesome. DW can take a long hot shower and then I can take mine without having to wait for it to recover. In the Toyhauler that worked out great when we had extra people and everyone was dirty from riding atvs all day.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater