Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

The rear view

Okay, so I have a 2002 Chevy Express van that I used to pull a 22 foot lite trailer. Apparently, 2003 was the first year that tow mirrors were an option for this van and no, I rather pull with a van than a truck. I've read some reviews on universal tow mirrors and they leave a lot to be desired and none would fit my mirrors anyway.

My second thought was to mount a rear view camera that is constantly on to the back of the trailer and hope it's wireless feature can reach the van. It would be powered by a small 12vdc battery that I normally use for my bait tank on my boat. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
Okay, so I have a 2002 Chevy Express van that I used to pull a 22 foot lite trailer. Apparently, 2003 was the first year that tow mirrors were an option for this van and no, I rather pull with a van than a truck. I've read some reviews on universal tow mirrors and they leave a lot to be desired and none would fit my mirrors anyway.

My second thought was to mount a rear view camera that is constantly on to the back of the trailer and hope it's wireless feature can reach the van. It would be powered by a small 12vdc battery that I normally use for my bait tank on my boat. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

There's no real need to look out the back. The people behind us need to look out for us! bstacles, and watch for people in our blind spots left and right when turning or changing lanes. As a backup camera it might be useful though, although I would always want a human being back there if possible.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

I also have a van towing my 183 Hybrid... I purchased a Harbor Freight 2 camera one monitor security system. This uses a hard wire, but the system only runs about $70 or $80 if not on sale. I mounted one camera on the back bumper to a block of wood and strapped it on with nylon ties. I ran the wire that it came with which includes video and power under the trailer to the tongue and tied it down. It is long enough so that the wire terminates inside the rear of the van. I then purchased extension wires of the same type and ran it to the front of the dash to the the 5 inch screen it came with.

The camera gives a pretty large field of view to the rear.

The second camera I screwed to the back edge of the van roof and it looks down at my hitch ball. I use it to help line up when hitching. THe screen will auto switch from one camera to the other or you can manually switch. The Screen is powered by an added 12 VDC cigar lighter plug, and that in turn powers the camera through the cable. Everything cost about $100 including the 12 VDC power supply and the added 25 foot extension cable.

extension cable
Defender Security 25' White CCTV BNC Video/Power Siamese Cable | 82-16605 (8216605) | Defender Security

You will also need an BNC male to RCA male and a BNC male to RCA female adaptor for the extension cable as the HF model only uses RCA plugs on both sides of their cables.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/27-9403

and

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/27-8017

I also wrapped the ends connecting the cameras in large heat shrink tube for rain protection.

No need to worry about wireless connections or if they will work and cheap.

hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

The camera may be a good idea but nothing is going to replace a good set of mirrors for lane changes etc.

http://www.amazon.ca/JR-Products-291...towing+mirrors

These are a great universal mirror. We have had ours for 3 years now on two different tvs. With many thousands of miles of no issues.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

I have a set of mirrors like these but made for a Dodge... these supposed to work on Chevy/GMC

I like mine...

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10200-Che...s=cipa+mirrors

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 12-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

Do you happen to have the link to those cameras at Harbor Freight? I did a search of the site and it did not show any results. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

erppj...
this is what I used
Color Security System with Night Vision

Even though the system says 120 VAC, it really just plugs into a 12 VDC adapter so it works in a 12 VDC enviornment

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 01-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #8

I had one on my Jaco and will be installing on my Wildcat a Peak back up camera (Advanced auto has them) system. It mounts on the license plate or center of camper above bumper. I wired it to the running rear lights ran the cable (got an extension kit from Peak) along the left frame up to the front compartment. This is were I place the transmitter as it needs to be as close to the tow vehicle to avoid interference when turning. The monitor is about the size of a small gps and to run it I drive with lights on anyway but one could just their running lights to operate it as well. I have installed this on four campers and we all pull our boats behind the campers. Works great and good luck !!!
Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Ambassador

I got Tyger bolt on tow mirrors for my Tacoma. I absolutely love them...normal when they are down, and flip them up or out to tow...

Here's the link
Amazon.com: tyger mirror: Automotive

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote