Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Youroo you should have video the 36' sabre at amana.............

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Biggest problem with backing in to any spot is over thinking the situation. Well that and "cranial gas".

2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Always felt the shorter the trailer the harder it was to back up. Mind you the trailer I have is 30' but backing it straight is easy, turning is another thing you almost have to get the truck to jackknife before the trailer will turn. I live on a highway and my driveway has a 6' ditch on both sides at that point its 12' wide. All this makes for an interesting time getting it where I have it in my yard for the winter.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
Saw the "Scoop" video some time ago and did give it a try. It works well if you have the room to make the maneuver. If not then sometimes it's just a "3-point" backing exercise and you just have to take your time. As another poster said, sometimes the older forest service campgrounds are a bit tight. We've found a couple that we just didn't want the headache of fighting the situation and left it open for a tent camper. Here's a pic of the tightest spot we've stayed in so far
The 5'er next to us (who was so close we couldn't extend our awning) had just pulled out otherwise you couldn't even see the old Wildwood. Made for real shady spot though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1764.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	64837  
FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
This is great, I was basically doing the scoop and didn't know it. I do find it much easier using this method.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
I used this method and found it to work very well. I have a 2014 23ikss Shamrock. Thanks for the tip!!
ds2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Another rat in the race
I backed up trailers in my fathers yard for years before I had a lic. but I still make my fare share of mistakes.

My father in law got the sink or swim approach the military is famous for, at 18 he joined the Air force and drove missiles in Montana. He didn't even have a drivers Lic. when they put him on an icy runway to practice with two trailers and said today you go'll to bed a trucker or die tryin'. After the air force he drove truck for Knudsen dairy his job was baker to vegas loaded, and vegas to baker unloaded. He said a full trailer of milk stuffed to the brim is heavier than you think the brakes went out more times than he could count in the years he did it.
A rainy day camping is better than any sunny day at work
2004 F250 V10 SD Xcab 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
jar3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
A lot of people struggle trying to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel when backing up. A simple trick is to place you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, then move you hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. It is also helpful to have a spotter that you trust. Wife and I have enough practice now - she always stands where she can see me or my face in the mirror, and she uses simple arm motions to indicate the direction the trailer needs to go.
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
As it has been mentioned before....walkies or cell on hands-free works very well for us. Only learning curve was hearing nothing while backing. I asked to please be talking a keep coming, getting close, turn the other way etc... Works for us and LOTS less cussing....not that I would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(new on order)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
It's tough to find enough room to do 'the swoop' at alot of the state parks i go to...but I may give it a try at my storage facility. I think maneuvering a trailer takes practice. I moved easily from and suv and 25footer to my dually and 41 ft 5'er with out an problem. I must admit even I was surprised at how quickly I adapted.

The one tip I always remember is to focus on the line of the wheels, and where you want them to go, not the back of the trailer. It is easier and works very well when dealing with the drivers side as you can turn and look exactly where you want the tires to go. I'm still perfecting the parking side as I get worried about hitting the services (I'm usually doing it on my own...), but even so I pretty much only have to get out and look 1 time.

...and ya gotta be ok with an audience...just imagine everyone is watching all the time!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=2, Apr=3, May=2, June=8, July=10, Aug=11, Sept=2, Oct=2 Running Total:151
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote