Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
phat phrog stunt crew

my advice about observing how the truckers are driving is.... dont do it. if you see few, if any truck drivers on the road, you should probably head for the rest stop, truck stop or walmart as well. but in general, they may be trying to get in front of or are chasing a storm. and if they happen to get caught in one that lasts for a couple of days, after a few hours of driving, they have gotten their legs under them so to speak and push on.

slow and steady gets it as the best advice for driving in the snow though.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #22

Freezing rain today - as soon as it hit the windshield it splatted and froze like concrete. One of our patients said she broke her ice scraper trying to clear her windshield. I didntfully comprehend how it was possible to snap a scraper until I got off work and saw how solid the ice was on mine! Was so glad I had lifted my wipers before I walked away from my vehicle this morning! I just sat and warmed up the rig until it was melty enough to clear off...this morning, even winter wiper fluid was freezing. ack!

Needless to say the roads were slick! The trick is to drive slow...real slow and dont look behind you LOL...some people (usually the economy cars) try to push behind me whether I am in my sturdy SUV or the Titan. I am not planning on sliding thru stoplights of off the road.

I watch the big rig trucks and follow their lead. Sometimes they slow down and signal me to pass them when it is safe and clear. I cant imagine pulling a trailer or managing a motorhome when the road is like this and idiots oit in full force....pull off and park and breathe if you are not pushed for time or on a schedule.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #23

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0682.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	23014 a update...this pic was the day before we left for Florida .I had the truck parked in the garage ,Hitched it up to the 5ver. finnished packing the 5th wheel ,plugged in an electric heater (to keep some liquids from freezing) it dropped tp 18 degrees overnight. we left a 5:45 am the next morning. 5 miles from home my "low tire pressure" warning light came on ..I stopped at a near -by truckstop/fuelstation ..but could only get 70lbs of air out of their pump..(my truck tires require 80lbs of air when cold ) drove back to my garage ..added 15-20 lbs of air to each tire ..the tpm light goes out . we are now 1 1/2 hours behind schedule. a call from friends ,that did get going before us... report many accidents on icy roads in the detroit area..when we finnaly get going.. i encounter at least 4 areas in a 30 mile stretch.. cars in the ditchs ,accidents ..police cars;; that were hit do to people sliding into them ..and i slowed down to 15 mph on those icy patchs after that.. south of Monroe ,Michigan the roads were good..So.. did i earn my snow bird wings yet ?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
.So.. did i earn my snow bird wings yet ?
Oh man, did you ever! A guardian angle must have been watching over you. What a way to start a trip, most would have just gone back to bed. Glad you got out of that ice safely.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #25

Think about moving yet? No snow/ice in FL. More camping too, not as weather seems to stop you
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Think about moving yet? No snow/ice in FL. More camping too, not as weather seems to stop you
I would like to be in Florida from Nov - May..back to Michigan.. for spring,summer & fall .. now to convince the dw ..make her think its her idea..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #27

Ice= don't do it. It isn't worth it unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Snow= only if you have 4wd and are experienced in slick weather.

I was raised a truck driver's son and even drove myself for a while. I've owned a 4wd my whole life and all I can tell you is this-ice is too slick unless you have a lot of controlled weight and a lot of surface area for traction. Best vehicle I ever had for ice was a 99 expedition with 33x11.50 tires. I climbed hills in 2" of ice that were tough in dry weather.
Another poster said turn the trailer brakes down which is the first thing i thought of. You get the trailer sliding and the truck isn't you'll end up looking at the side of the trailer next to you. That isn't fun. Equalize your weight as much as possible. Putting too much weight on the drive axles will negate the effects of the 4wd. ALWAYS go slow and leave plenty of room and you should be fine.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
Ice= don't do it. It isn't worth it unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Snow= only if you have 4wd and are experienced in slick weather.

I was raised a truck driver's son and even drove myself for a while. I've owned a 4wd my whole life and all I can tell you is this-ice is too slick unless you have a lot of controlled weight and a lot of surface area for traction. Best vehicle I ever had for ice was a 99 expedition with 33x11.50 tires. I climbed hills in 2" of ice that were tough in dry weather.
Another poster said turn the trailer brakes down which is the first thing i thought of. You get the trailer sliding and the truck isn't you'll end up looking at the side of the trailer next to you. That isn't fun. Equalize your weight as much as possible. Putting too much weight on the drive axles will negate the effects of the 4wd. ALWAYS go slow and leave plenty of room and you should be fine.
Good advice
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #29

I just now realized you were from Michigan. I'm sure you could teach me plenty about snow/ice driving. Until last year I lived in Joplin, MO all my life. We had some snow but the worst was the ice storms. Usually once a year we'd get a solid inch or two and that's when the accidents skyrocket. I made a trip one time from Buffalo, NY to Joplin, MO in January. I drove on ice from Erie, PA to Rolla, MO (22 hrs). Counted 200 cars and 150 trucks either in the ditch, on their side, or upside down. FedEx trucks with pups make very large messes.

The advice on here about following the truckers' lead can be tricky. It depends on what type of driver. Myself, I only pay attention to the owner operators. If you see a Schneider or England or especially a JB Hunt truck and they aren't in the ditch.... the going should be good. If you see those nice big Peterbilts and Freightliners with the huge sleepers and all the lights on em pulled over its a good idea to get off the road. Glad to hear you braved the snow and you definitely earned your wings. I'll have to earn my RV ice wings next year.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #30
phat phrog stunt crew

hope this works, but if the day starts out looking like this... stay inside

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
hope this works, but if the day starts out looking like this... stay inside

That's my tow vehicle, Wondered where it got to
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #32

Note of caution about following the lead of semi-drivers, don't,
They push it to the limit, and often far past.
I have heard of too many instances of them driving too fast in blizzards, either hitting the rhubarb themselves, or running others off the road.
We were almost killed by one driving way too fast in horrible conditions on a narrow two-lane mountain road.
Just the other day I was watching one coming toward me, crossing over the center line. He looked up from his cell phone just in time to get back in his lane and catch my digital salute.
Most are fairly courteous, but enough are outright dangerous to make me wary of every one.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #33

I do not know if this was mentioned, but I did not see it. Avoid the use of engine retarding brakes on icy or snow covered roads as it will slow the truck down but not the trailer. Use the brakes so all tires are slowing down. I carry chains for every tire, truck and trailer, and winter tires on the truck.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
I do not know if this was mentioned, but I did not see it. Avoid the use of engine retarding brakes on icy or snow covered roads as it will slow the truck down but not the trailer. Use the brakes so all tires are slowing down. I carry chains for every tire, truck and trailer, and winter tires on the truck.
VERY good advice, especially the engine brake.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #35

If you have friction sway control take it off. It is recommended not to use sway control on slippery roads.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
phat phrog stunt crew

should go without saying also .... do not use cruise control.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #37

Winter PDI

Going to Lakeview OH next week to pick up my new Puma 351THSS. Was wondering if anyone can advise as to how much road salt/solutions have been used in TN, KY, and OH this winter? I am a bit concerned over pulling my new fiver through the muck and wind up with a rust bucket in just a few years. I have been told that even dry roads retain enough of those de-icing materials to cause problems with RVs.
Anyway, thanks to all you good folks for your experienced input.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
Going to Lakeview OH next week to pick up my new Puma 351THSS. Was wondering if anyone can advise as to how much road salt/solutions have been used in TN, KY, and OH this winter? I am a bit concerned over pulling my new fiver through the muck and wind up with a rust bucket in just a few years. I have been told that even dry roads retain enough of those de-icing materials to cause problems with RVs.
Anyway, thanks to all you good folks for your experienced input.
Weather next week should be dry and 40s daytime in Ohio. There is a lot of salt. Residue on roads but are clear. One word of advice, use low temp. windshield washing fluid and have plenty on hand. Windshields get crappy. When u get home hose everything down real good
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #39

Go light on the brakes when you use them and avoid locking them up. I drove truck and will say do not do as the truck drivers do many of them are from down south and don't have a clue as how to drive in ice and snow. Keep a longer distance between you and vehicles in front of you leaving plenty of room to stop. Also no sudden jerky moves.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote