Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #21

This answers my question; so i'm pretty sure that I can air up my tires at max. pressure cold, and drive 500 miles to a much higher altitude, and the pressure inside would only increase by a relatively small percentage. And, that a nitrogen filled tire would not increase quite as much as an equally pressurized air filled tire. Correct???
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
I generally try to confine my comments to things about which I have knowledge, but after awhile the silence gets to me and I have to say something.......regret it.......start the process over.

Glenn
Glenn, you have nothing to regret. You are an awsome contributor.
Keep it up.

PS I LOVE the hand over face Smilie. I may steal it. (ok, did )
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #23

Thank you Lou. That was just an attempt at humor. I have been accused of having "stealth humor".

I like that little smilie as well. I didn't see him in the forum selection. I hope I didn't create an "incident" by incorporating an "undocumented smilie" into the forum.

Take Care!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
This answers my question; so i'm pretty sure that I can air up my tires at max. pressure cold, and drive 500 miles to a much higher altitude, and the pressure inside would only increase by a relatively small percentage. And, that a nitrogen filled tire would not increase quite as much as an equally pressurized air filled tire. Correct???
There is so little "give" in a truck/trailer tire that altitude has almost no effect on internal pressure. I have airdropped just about anything you can fit in a C-130 including MRE bags at altitudes up to 18,000 feet and never lost a tire (or an MRE bag) that I am aware of. Bags of chips in our lunches HAVE popped open and DO NOT OPEN A SODA (Don't ask how I know).

The jury is still out on the Nitrogen issue. The latest poll is 50% swear its better and 50% swear it is a waste of money.

I am in the waste of money camp. If it is free; take it. Top off with regular air if needed.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #25

Question

Some types of magnesium wheels have a tendency of rusting on the interior of the rim because of water condensation in the air added to the tire. In this case, probably using Nitrogen would be a good fit to prevent this from happening due to it's low dew point. Otherwise I'm all for free air and checking the tire pressure daily when travelling.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

The same argument would work for aluminum wheels.
Aluminum corrodes just like steel, just slightly faster.
No idea why they call them Mag wheels.
I doubt that wheels are made from magnesium.
They are actually forged aluminum alloy.
You would be driving around with four giant Thermite bombs under the frame if they were magnesium.

I will research this.
Well hush my mouth. Now THIS is lunacy!

Magnesium alloy wheels

Magnesium alloy wheel on a Porsche Carrera GT

Magnesium alloy wheels, or "mag wheels", are sometimes used on racing cars, in place of heavier steel or aluminium wheels, for better performance. The wheels are produced by one-step hot forging from a magnesium alloy known as ZK60, AZ31 or AZ91 (MA14 in Russia). Cast magnesium disks are used in motorcycle wheels.
The mass of a typical magnesium automotive wheel is about 5–9 kg (depending on size).[2]
Magnesium wheels are flammable and have been banned in some forms of motorsport in the UK following fires which are very difficult to extinguish. Mag wheels have been known to catch fire in competition use after a punctured tire has allowed prolonged scraping of the wheel on the road surface.[citation needed] Some variants of magnesium alloy wheels may have low corrosion resistance.
They have the disadvantages of being expensive and not practical for most road vehicles. Aluminium wheels are often mistakenly called "mag wheels".
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #27

Thanks Lou, for that info. Sounds like you've experienced these things lots more than most folks, being a pilot. The other thing I've heard about nitrogen vs. air, is that it slows the dry rotting that naturally occurs in tires from the inside; keeping them out of the sun(U.V.) slows it down on the exterior surfaces. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

Lou...you are generous with the 50/50 love/hate on the nitrogen. I thought it was more like 99% hate and 1% love!LOL
I love the stuff...however...I have seen real world numbers in trucking and bus operations that show the cost and safety savings using it.
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #29

Lou is a treasure trove of information.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote