Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
If I don't I find myself exceeding the rated trailer tire speed, by a lot!

Why would using the cruise make you exceed the rated tire speed? You can set the cruise to a speed of 60-65.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin79 View Post
Why would using the cruise make you exceed the rated tire speed? You can set the cruise to a speed of 60-65.
I think Crusadernoob was trying to say that IF he doesn't use cruise, he tends to speed.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #63

Turn the exhaust brake on when you hook up and turn it off when you stop for the night. I use mine at all times. Less wear on Truck and trailer brakes.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
I think Crusadernoob was trying to say that IF he doesn't use cruise, he tends to speed.

I just reread his response, I think you are correct.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #65

Quote:
Sorry to hijack your thread. Is it safe to use the cruise control while pulling?
To expand on the subject a little. .... it depends on your individual level of experience and comfort towing a trailer. Like driving any large vehicle towing a trailer reduces you maunuverability and your ability to slow or stop quickly. I've been towing large trailers for 40 years so I'm pretty aware of what I can and can't do if something happens. I am very cautious about when I use cruise with our big trailer but I do use it on long pulls of wide open highway. My level of defensive driving is always higher when towing. I would not suggest anyone tow their trailer with cruise on unless you feel comfortable doing so. If you don't feel safe doing that then you probably aren't. Trust your gut.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 AM   #66

There is no need to engage Trailer "Tow" mode in most traffic situations, unless you are towing your trailer in conditions that include mountainous or uneven terrain, or freeway congestion, or other conditions that may require rapid acceleration or deceleration. We live in Southern California, so we use "Tow" mode a lot!! It is a feature that gives me more peace of mind than any other!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
Just got a new a new GMC and haven't towed my 30' TT yet. So with my DuraMax when do I use the exhaust brake? With the tow/haul mode? Please don't tell me to read the manual and push the button. LOL

Loan me your truck for a month, I will play with it and get back with you on the best solution to your question. LOL
willykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #68

With a durmax in tow/haul it locks the converter at 2nd gear. If off it locks up at like 48 MPH. If towing or hauling why not use it. It is there for a reason. And for the ones saying exhaust brake(unless you actually had an after market one installed) is a turbo brake. The vanes in the turbo close to create back pressure. Acts like an exhaust brake though. I use my turbo brake all the time. Saves on brakes. Little FYI for the duramax guys. I believe it is 04.5 and newer(must have VVT turbo) you can get the turbo brake. All in the tuning. When I am on my tow tune above 1500 RPMs my turbo brake kicks in. And it works best in tow/haul mode because the converter is locked longer.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
cburchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #69

aggressive down shift in tow mode

I like this discussion on tow mode. On my 06 I find the downshift when braking comes in way to early (over rev.). I like what appears to be convert lock up but wish I could change the brake/downshift point.
Burk
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #70

Quote:
If I DONT use cruise control it is very easy to exceed the speed limit. I need to set the cruise 62-63mph.
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburchel View Post
With a durmax in tow/haul it locks the converter at 2nd gear. If off it locks up at like 48 MPH. If towing or hauling why not use it. It is there for a reason. And for the ones saying exhaust brake(unless you actually had an after market one installed) is a turbo brake. The vanes in the turbo close to create back pressure. Acts like an exhaust brake though. I use my turbo brake all the time. Saves on brakes. Little FYI for the duramax guys. I believe it is 04.5 and newer(must have VVT turbo) you can get the turbo brake. All in the tuning. When I am on my tow tune above 1500 RPMs my turbo brake kicks in. And it works best in tow/haul mode because the converter is locked longer.
As far as the exhaust/turbo brake, how ever you want to refer to it, I know in the LBZ no tuning is required, it is already in the ECM. It is the same ECM as medium duty, just need to hook it up, it wasn't offered in the light duty truck.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #72

Quote:
As far as the exhaust/turbo brake, how ever you want to refer to it, I know in the LBZ no tuning is required, it is already in the ECM. It is the same ECM as medium duty, just need to hook it up, it wasn't offered in the light duty truck.
As far as hook it up what do you mean? They didn't offer it from factory until 2011 on the lml motor. You have to go into the tuning side of it and have the turbo vanes close.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #73

Ok. My bad. I just Googled it. Didn't realize you could hook up into the ecm. To me that seems like a lot of work when you can get it tuned by someone and roll on. I have the dsp5 have only have it on my tow tune.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #74

One more vote for using the tow haul button, I use it and the exhaust brake whenever I tow.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburchel View Post
Ok. My bad. I just Googled it. Didn't realize you could hook up into the ecm. To me that seems like a lot of work when you can get it tuned by someone and roll on. I have the dsp5 have only have it on my tow tune.
Actually it is a pretty simple process, people freak out because you install a terminal in the ECM, it's the cheapest, most effective mod I've done to our truck. I am pretty sure people have had success on the LMM also. I can't see $500.00 for a tune when $5.00 in parts, just my $.02 worth.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #76

Quote:
Actually it is a pretty simple process, people freak out because you install a terminal in the ECM, it's the cheapest, most effective mod I've done to our truck. I am pretty sure people have had success on the LMM also. I can't see $500.00 for a tune when $5.00 in parts, just my $.02 worth.
I guess I got lucky. I only had to pay to unlock my vin number. $125 I think is what it was. Brother-In law has EFI live and loaded all my tunes. I have hooked into the ecm but that was for the high idle mod.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #77

Way, way, over thinking Tow/Haul mode in TVs. TOW = some thing being towed, bumper hitch, or 5th wheel.
HAUL = Some thing being hauled, in the (bed) cargo box.
Improves braking, extends transmission life. ??
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #78
CDR USN Ret

Use them All

Driving a 3500HD/Duramax/Allison, towing 42' and 18k# of fifth wheel. Full-timing exclusively in Rockies (Montana to Arizona, with side trips to Black Hills and San Juans) LOTS of up and down steep grades. I run withTow Mode and exhaust brake continuously engaged, and cruise control except when roads are slick. Troublefree and lets engine management do what it's designed to do.
Owner's Manual:
"Use of the exhaust brake will help maintain vehicle speed when used with cruise control." and "The exhaust brake will be more active when in Tow/Haul mode." So obviously all three are disigned to be operating simultaneously.

I suspect purpose of increased voltage in tow mode is primarily to support trailer electric braking (my trailer has six brake solenoids).
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #79

2016 Chevy 2500HD pu diesel. Trailer is 9,500# wet. I use engine brake and tow haul mode as well as cruise. Worked west coast to east coast.

Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
I suspect purpose of increased voltage in tow mode is primarily to support trailer electric braking (my trailer has six brake solenoids).
The increased voltage is to charge your TT's battery. Your brake controller feeds the brakes. (Although I guess you could argue the higher voltage will get passed through the brake controller, but I'd guess that's only at full boost and maximum gain.)

The only time the battery itself feeds the brakes is if the emergency brake switch is pulled (at least on a TT - can't speak to a 5ver).

From my Silverado's owners manual:
To help charge a remote
(non-vehicle) battery, press the Tow/
Haul Mode button at the end of the
shift lever. If the trailer is too light for
Tow/Haul Mode, turn on the
headlamps to help charge the
battery.
Never discusses more power to the TT/5vr brakes.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing