Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #1

Smile towing with 1/2 ton truck

Im thinking of buying a Flagstaff 8228 RLIKWS 5th wheel. I would appreciate any feed back, I have a Ford F-150 short bed with Eco-boost and tow package.
kentacraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #2

Ain't gonna happen. Couldn't handle weight, not enough strength in the horse power to pull it‼
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentacraft View Post
Im thinking of buying a Flagstaff 8228 RLIKWS 5th wheel. I would appreciate any feed back, I have a Ford F-150 short bed with Eco-boost and tow package.
I'm guessing you meant the 8528RLIKWS which has a dry weight of 7698 and a gvwr of 9250 lbs. With only 1552 lbs cargo capacity you will likely be close to max fiver weight loaded. Typically ideal pin weight is 20-25% of loaded fiver weight (brochure pin weight won't help you much as you will never tow empty or unloaded). This means you are likely looking at a pin weight of 1850-2300 lbs.

Now let's look at your eco boost. Lots of variation in the ecoboost. Everything from small payload to a larger payload depending on how it's equipped. Look on your door tire loading sticker for "weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed x lbs". This is your available payload before calculating in weight of passengers, pets, gear and fiver hitch (150-200 lbs for hitch). You can get a rough estimate by adding all of this up and subtracting from that sticker number. This won't tell you your axle weights though.

Best thing to do is load the truck up like you would for camping with passengers, pets, etc and full tank of fuel. Go weigh your truck at a catscale. Weigh it with front axle on scale pad one and rear axle on scale pad two. Push the button and tell them private vehicle first weigh. Now go inside and get your ticket. Take the rear axle weight and subtract it from trucks max rawr to get your available room on your axle (to accommodate fiver hitch and pin weight). Take the total truck weight and subtract it from the trucks gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take the total scaled truck weight and subtract it from trucks gvwr to get your available payload. Loaded pin weight must be below max rawr and payload. Stay within these numbers and you should be fine. I have a friend towing a crossroads cruiser heavier than this flagstaff with his ecoboost. No problems in va and pa mountains but he does have the max tow HD version.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You have enough horsepower but it is likely that, from a payload perspective, your truck would be significantly overloaded. Look at the payload capacity of your truck and then look at the pin weight of the trailer. You are probably overloaded right there; without hitch weight and then the difference between dry and "wet" weight of the loaded trailer. Then also the weight of your family, pets, etc in the truck also subtract from payload capacity.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

According to the weight police, I can't tow a 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS with my Silverado Ext. Cab 5.3L with a 3.23 rear end either. But it's like the humming bird, theoretically a humming bird can't fly, but he doesn't know it so he just keeps flying. I've pulled in all the mountains east of the Mississippi with no problems whatsoever and average 10.2 mpg and tow at 55-65 mph. Towed an 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS and the 8528RKWS over 50,000 miles with this truck and still going. It may blow the next time we hook up to go to FL, but so far, so good.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
According to the weight police, I can't tow a 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS with my Silverado Ext. Cab 5.3L with a 3.23 rear end either. But it's like the humming bird, theoretically a humming bird can't fly, but he doesn't know it so he just keeps flying. I've pulled in all the mountains east of the Mississippi with no problems whatsoever and average 10.2 mpg and tow at 55-65 mph. Towed an 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS and the 8528RKWS over 50,000 miles with this truck and still going. It may blow the next time we hook up to go to FL, but so far, so good.
Better not blow.
I need a sunshade!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Better not blow.
I need a sunshade! Turbs
We'll git 'er fixed.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We'll git 'er fixed.
Seen a 50,000 mile duramax allison on Craigslist.
You buy it I'll help you install it. [emoji12]

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

I might be a little off topic, but have been thinking about 5th wheel and trucks lately. I would prefer a 1/2 ton truck for cost and ride while not towing. Some trailers claim to be 1/2 ton towable, but most trucks fall short in the payload department even for those "light" rigs.

Question: what happens if you have an accident, your fault or someone else's, and it's determined you were over weight? Do you lose your house??? I'm sure accidents have happened, but I'm not aware of real world situations.

BTW, I'm not trying to start anything, just curios about what would happen.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Seen a 50,000 mile duramax allison on Craigslist.
You buy it I'll help you install it. Turbs
Thanks, but no Thanks. Do appreciate the offer tho'.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #11

I'm not the weight police, by any means. But you most likely have a payload in the 1500lbs range. My research has led me to believe that adding air bags and XL or load range E tires and better shocks give you a more capable truck than the MaxTow package, which offers an additional 500 pounds of payload. I'm not gonna argue about stickers. It appears that if you load nothing into the truck and have no passengers, you can probably come close to not breaking a GVW of 7700(the max tow GVWR). If you carry several passengers and load heavy for long trips, you'll easily go over that by another 1000 pounds or more. That's substantially over, and even I would argue that you are in 3/4 ton territory- and I advocate heavily for the F150 EB being more capable than it's payload number suggests. With that being said, the only way I personally would be comfortable with towing what you are asking is with the following caveats: 1. Make the upgrades to the truck (Airbags, Rancho RS9000XL shocks or similar, load range E tires or XL load rating if 20"). 2. I only camp close to home and pack light. Take a 2nd vehicle to carry passengers and additional supplies if necessary. And 3. Slow down, take your time, and be cautious.

I'm assuming you have a SCrew with 3.55 gears and XLT trim. If not, the above advice could change substantially.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Until you post the specifics of your truck everything is speculation. It is unlikely you'll be able to though based on your description. Unless you have the HD Payload package and haven't mentioned. Post more information about your truck and at least everyone can make an informed conclusion. Mind you the weight police are already hiding in the bushes with their scaled pointed directly at you, so be ready....

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandJ View Post
I might be a little off topic, but have been thinking about 5th wheel and trucks lately. I would prefer a 1/2 ton truck for cost and ride while not towing. Some trailers claim to be 1/2 ton towable, but most trucks fall short in the payload department even for those "light" rigs.

Question: what happens if you have an accident, your fault or someone else's, and it's determined you were over weight? Do you lose your house??? I'm sure accidents have happened, but I'm not aware of real world situations.

BTW, I'm not trying to start anything, just curios about what would happen.
I suggest you search the forums as this has been hashed out thoroughly. Maybe some members can point you to some threads on this issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Yeah, I gathered. I see it's a harshly contested topic. Personally, I worry more about the "feel" than a number. I also know, however, that a number can be used to hang you if they want to.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do more searching....
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palominoryda View Post
Ain't gonna happen. Couldn't handle weight, not enough strength in the horse power to pull it‼
"not enough strength in the horsepower to pull it"???? Power would be the least of my concerns with the Ecoboost. Considerably more power than the turbocharged diesels of the late 90's and no one ever doubted their ability.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #16

Just a quick thought- why not look at travel trailers with that floorplan? There are several out there that have the same or similar floorplan. Very likely you can get the tongue weight in the 900-1000lb range when fully loaded. Get a ProPride hitch and it will pull very similar to a fiver with no worries of sway. If you are dead set on a fiver because you've had bad sway experiences or heard of them, you really need to give the ProPride a try.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm not the weight police, by any means. But you most likely have a payload in the 1500lbs range. My research has led me to believe that adding air bags and XL or load range E tires and better shocks give you a more capable truck than the MaxTow package, which offers an additional 500 pounds of payload. I'm not gonna argue about stickers. It appears that if you load nothing into the truck and have no passengers, you can probably come close to not breaking a GVW of 7700(the max tow GVWR). If you carry several passengers and load heavy for long trips, you'll easily go over that by another 1000 pounds or more. That's substantially over, and even I would argue that you are in 3/4 ton territory- and I advocate heavily for the F150 EB being more capable than it's payload number suggests. With that being said, the only way I personally would be comfortable with towing what you are asking is with the following caveats: 1. Make the upgrades to the truck (Airbags, Rancho RS9000XL shocks or similar, load range E tires or XL load rating if 20"). 2. I only camp close to home and pack light. Take a 2nd vehicle to carry passengers and additional supplies if necessary. And 3. Slow down, take your time, and be cautious.

I'm assuming you have a SCrew with 3.55 gears and XLT trim. If not, the above advice could change substantially.

I am not understanding how you are saying that adding the listed items will make a standard truck more capable than a max tow equipped truck? Yes, those items will help, but they won't make it more capable TV than a max tow equipped truck.

In order to have max tow, his truck would be required to have 3.73 gears. Max tow adds a heavier front suspension and in some cases (not all) adds a heavier rear suspension. The 7650/7700 cannot be had without 3.73 and max tow. If he has 3.55 he would have the GVWR would likely be in the lesser 7200 range.

OP: You didn't state whether or not you have max tow or the 535 towing package. Good info to know would be rear end gears, GVWR, FGAWR, RGAWR, particular tow package, current tires, any suspension mods (current or planned), etc. . . As others have stated, without this type of information, it would be difficult to truly answer your question correctly.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #18
ARLO

The ecoboost gets it's power from te twin turbos. I am not saying tha tit can't tow the 8528 but it would really test the turbos and turbos do not like to get overused. I would opt for a 3/4 to 1 ton bigger V8. If you are down around 7500 to 8500, yes ecoboost.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #19

Well, the ecoboost in the F150 is in boost almost all the time and I haven't heard of any systemic problems with the turbos on them. The parts of an F150 that would 'get overused' are not the turbos. The suspension and brakes would come into question well before the motor.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I am camping right now in Frankenmuth MI. Travelled from Kitchener , Ontario. Across i69 washboard. No issues at all. I have 8000 km towing this year on the truck, no issues.

My measured weights today are.

Front Axle 3,500 lbs
Rear Axle 5,070 lbs
Trailer 7,716 lbs

I have a heavier 8289 Rockwood. I am lighter today, dropped the bikes off the roof makes the front weight a little more when loaded. As well normal i have a full tank of water which would make the rear axle lighter but add 700 lbs to trailer weight.

Today I am under he max towing weight by 100 lbs, the combined weight is 16,200 and I am under that by 900 lbs.

Do as you please and what you are safe doing. BTW the new 2015 F 150 blows mine out of water for towing capacity when properly equipped.

I do not tow over 62 mph or 100 kph and do have upgraded LT Tires on the truck and GY Marathons D on the trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, truck