Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Trailer security and safety

Hello,
We are gearing up to embark on a 3 month cruise through the southern USA. I want to be prepared and as secure as can be.

First up. A Locking Hitch Pin. I bought one at Harbor Freight for $10. 5/8" rotating locking hitch pin.

I replaced my old standard non-locking pin and now I wonder... What if this thing breaks or falls apart and my trailer comes off the hitch? Well of course I know what would happen, but what is the probability in this?

I have looked at reviews and the only complaint I read is the lock will freeze up after awhile. It appears it is not weather resistant. This is a problem I will deal with down the road, but for now, I am concerned about the integrity of the product.

Anyone have experience with this product or offer any other advise?
Thanks
Attached Images

DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #2

I bought a differnt make of locking pin, don't remember the brand, but it was a brand name, wasn't cheap - but the locking mechanism stopped working after less than a year (luckily failed unlocked) rendering it useless. It came with a dust cap, but it was flimsy and would likely have broken off after another year. I just make a habit of taking the hitch off when it's disconnected - when I left it attached I usually banged my leg into it several times anyway which kind of made it (literally) more of a pain to leave installed.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

It doesn't seem to make much difference which locking pin you buy the common failure point is the lock. I oil the lock part on a regular basis. As for the pin breaking it takes a tremendous amount of shear force to cause a pin to break regardless of where you bought it. That not to say it hasn't happened I just have never hear of that. Keep the pin coated to prevent rust.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It doesn't seem to make much difference which locking pin you buy the common failure point is the lock. I oil the lock part on a regular basis. As for the pin breaking it takes a tremendous amount of shear force to cause a pin to break regardless of where you bought it. That not to say it hasn't happened I just have never hear of that. Keep the pin coated to prevent rust.

A can of WD-40 is your friend for exposed locks. Give them a periodic "hosing out" with the spray tube which will flush dust and moisture out.

I'm still using a locking pin that was sold under the name "Valley" that I bought about 20 years ago. Still works flawlessly and it's never had a cap on it. Have had the key on my key ring so long the raised "Valley" lettering is 90% worn off.

As for different brands offering something better, they all are a variation of the same thing. Essentially a spin-off of a basic padlock with the pin being half of the shackle and the lock being a padlock body with only one hole.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Well I decided I will use the old standard locking pin when I am pulling the trailer. Once I am at a campground, I will replace it with the locking pin. This way, I trust pulling my TT with the plain old pin, and then I can lock it for ease of mind!
When I prepare to drive to the next destination, I will put the old reliable back on.
Again, peace of mind! Don’t need to be worried about the pin / lock mechanism breaking while pulling the trailer.
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Brake is on left

Your trailer only has to be more secure than the next one over. Kinda like you only have to outswim your friend, not the shark. Nearly every hitch lock can be defeated in under 2 minutes. Bolt cutters or a drill with a Unibit. So yours has to be more trouble than it is worth. Megahitch is probably one of the better ones, but also $200. The one you got is more of a deterrent visual but should serve you well in a campground. Personally, I would not use WD40 or oil on a lock. They usually attract more dirt than anything. My choice is CRC Marine Dry Lube because it is dry. The solvent carrier evaporates and leaves a PTFE film on the lock. No oily residue for dust and dirt to cling to.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

I used one of these until I saw an RV on fire. Maybe with a bar and cotter pin you could possibly unhook your TV and save it. Just a thought
Travelin Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:25 AM   #8

I agree with EvilTwin. These locks only prevent bad thieves or quasi-honest people from messing with your stuff. If someone wants your trailer, they're going to get it.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, trailer