Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Denver, CO

Travel planning

Starting to gear up for a trip from Denver to Ontario and upstate NY (had great input on the Ontario segment in an earlier post).

I'm wonder of you'll can recommend a trip planning tool that I use to kind of chart my way. I was briefly looking at the "RV TRIP WIZARD" at $37 per year and thought I'd ask all you experienced travelers.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It is a good tool that allows you to set trip parameters like speed, how many hours a day do you want to drive, how often to stop and rest. Put in a start and finish location and it will map it out and show where you should stop every night. You then can search for campsites around that location with the software and then add one as a stop. You can avoid areas and force the software to choose a different route, like not thru tunnels in NYC. I am pretty happy with it. There was a post on here a while back,where a user had a problem with a route but you need to understand and check your routes.

Another tool I use is Allstays Camp & RV on my ipad. It is great for finding camp ground anywhere you might want to go. Good luck...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

I forgot, I tried the wizard free trial and was not impressed and decided to stay with streets and trips.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Are you heading to the FROG rally in Ontario Canda?

I just use Google map online and enter home address and final destination and adjust accordingly. I find and add my destinations for the night approx. 350-400 miles each segment. This is for a long trip say from Arizona to NY. When I'm satified I print it out.

I also use my Garmin 2595 GPS which is amazing.

Check out this map that I just created in Google.
Denver CO to Niagara Ontario Canada to Albany NY
Denver, CO to Albany, NY - Google Maps

If you are not a memeber of Good Sams club here is the identical router they use but free.
Freetrip -Get The Best Highway Trip Plan On The 'Net!

Good luck

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

We belong to the Good Sam Club. They have a trip routing link that is pretty nice..includes rest stops, gas, hotel/motel, mountain directory advisories, etc. It allows you to plug in your own fuel economy and calculates time, route and costs. The trip routing is easy to use and is really useful or RV'ing...

TravelTracer
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Garbonz, You OP asked about trip planning. If you want a route you can get that from your GPS, Google Maps, Mapquest. If you want to plan your trip and see what attractions, faculties, and campgrounds are close by then you need to go with a comprehensive trip planning software.

MS Streets and Trips does all that plus you can download current construction activity along your route. You can plan each days trip and get a print out of directions along with a map for each days leg.

This is a top level screenshot of our trip from FL up to PEI, Canada. It is hard to see but the left pane shows each stop. The top pane is driving instructions by day and the right pane is a map that you can zoom in on and see more detail.

Anyway, I think it is great when I say heck, I want to go to Tucson Az, drive 6 hours a day, stop every 2.5 hours for 30 minutes and let it show me a way and how long it will take. I can also put in fuel costs, mpg of my TV and it will estimate my costs, not that that really matters. Check it out..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 10.14.23 PM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	30803  

Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Are you heading to the FROG rally in Ontario Canda?

Nope, going to visit friends in Rochester NY and then to a 1812 Bicenntennial in Ontario.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

One thing I haven't see mentioned (and I haven't gotten my TT yet so perhaps I'm off base) is the consideration for low bridges. How tall is the trailer the OP is towing?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
One thing I haven't see mentioned (and I haven't gotten my TT yet so perhaps I'm off base) is the consideration for low bridges. How tall is the trailer the OP is towing?
Just stay behind me in my motorhome. I'm 12 ft 6" tall.

If you stay onthe interstate highway system no problem.
If you plan on taking a short cut and secondard routes you need to always be looking up and checking the brige heights.
If you have no idea how high your TT is you need to measure it now before you leave and make a sticker in the truck showing its height so you don't have to guess when a bridge say 10 ft 6 inches and you are ????. Honey what was the measurement... BAM!

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

When measuring - remember, it's from the ground to the top of the AC unit... (Plus a few extra inches for good measure)