Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #41

We always have ours on propane while traveling and only had it go out one time. We load it at least 1 day ahead of time and everything stays nice and cold even if it goes out.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #42

I am a new owner, and have also decided to travel with the propane on for the fridge. I have filled the propane tank only once, and was a bit surprised when I did not even have to close the tank valve during the fill. Also, I was not asked to shut off any propane appliances.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #43
Lottery Non-Winner

I have always traveled with the propane on and the fridge running on LP.
I have never had the flame blow out.
I have never caused an explosion at a gas station.
Now that I have an RV, the generator is on anyway running the air conditioner, so the fridge ends up on AC.
I believe its not a safety issue as far as the flame blowing out. If it blows out, the thermocouple will stop the flow.
I believe it may be a safety issue for gas stations, however, is there any record of an LP fridge on a TT or RV ever, at any time, any where, causing a fire or explosion during refuel because the vapors reached the flame? Maybe there is, but I have never heard of it.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #44

I travel with a full fridge and my propane on. The only time I have turned it off was prior to passing through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, which requires it to be turned off. Some tunnels don't allow you to pass through them at all if you have a propane tank.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #45

For an explosion to occur, there would have to be a build up of vapor and the CORRECT amount of air to vapor ratio. This ratio is very small and is very unlikely to occur at a modern gasoline pump. Modern gasoline pumps, in most if not all of the US states, are required to have vapor recovery nozzles. Is it impossible to happen.... no it could. More likely to happen is someone pulls in next to you in a pick up with a couple plastic gas containers to fill and fills them on the tailgate. This can create a static electric charge that can arc to the nozzle tip (ground). The vapor recovery nozzle is ineffective filling the plastic gasoline containers. As the individual fills the container, they are changing the air to vapor ratio. The container will be to lean to ignite, then reach that magic ratio and could ignite with a source, then move on to being to rich to burn. I am far more afraid of that than I am a pilot flame 15 to 20 feet from my fill location. If your fridge is close to the fill location on your camper, you may wish to take the safer course and secure the fridge until you clear the filling station. If you are filling approved plastic containers, place them on the ground and keep part of the nozzle in contact with the lip of the container to prevent an arc.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #46

It should also be mentioned that our Soleras are diesel powered, which, I think, is less volatile than gasoline? Maybe I'm wrong there. The diesel fill on the Solera is next to the driver door, while the refrigerator is on the opposite side of the coach by the rear wheels.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
It should also be mentioned that our Soleras are diesel powered, which, I think, is less volatile than gasoline? Maybe I'm wrong there. The diesel fill on the Solera is next to the driver door, while the refrigerator is on the opposite side of the coach by the rear wheels.
Diesel takes a great deal of heat to ignite. The diesel engine works on compression to cause the explosion. Many diesel truck drivers never shut their trucks off at all while fueling. Much safer, spark wise.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote