Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Trick for parking in the garage

I had racked my brain since the first day of becoming anew camper owner regarding storage and just this past weekend had a great idea.

This mostly only applies to small camper (popup, maybe Rpod sized).

My garage is longer on one side than the other. I had always used the extra depth for storage of the lawn equipment and such. I have about 27 feet of total depth. my camper is an A126 A-Frame unit. The thought of a long wet winter outside just disgusted me. The camper is 17.1 feet, and my Jeep is about 13 feet. Just over 30 feet..... No go.... So I thought.

It occurred to me this weekend that if the AFrame part of the trailer tongue was gone I'd be golden (camper box is about 12 feet).

Well the Jeep has a lot of clearance and I thought maybe if I lowered the tongue and put it on a block I could unbolt the tongue jack, remove the propane tanks and pull the Jeep over the tongue gaining about 4 feet of parking space. Now I was close.

For my situation I had to remove the spare tire and tire carrier, and also removed the rear bumper (cut both support s removing about 8 inches of length). I'll be making a bracket to bolt the bumper back on for travel.

In the end the result was a very tight fit. Only 1" to spare on the back wall, 1" between the camper and Jeep, and less tha an inch of clearance for the garage door.

Bottom line however was an unexpected solution for my small camper. I use the wheel clocks attached to the garage floor to mark the stopping point for perfect parking every time. Now the camper is always dry, unfrozen (our garage is insulated and never freezes) and ready to go if a sudden warm weekend slips in over winter.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great solution !!! Not having to winterize the camper is a big plus.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Great solution !!! Not having to winterize the camper is a big plus.
Yes... However we already have an early nov trip on the radar and depending on the weather we way have to winterize anyway. My favorite thing is the peace if mind in the weather. We sometimes get some significant snow here in kentucky, so no worries of freeze thaw makes me feel good. Definitely with the minor aggravation of tight parking...
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote