Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

TT Covers

Absolutely positive that this has already bee covered but search doesn't return much. So we bought a cover for the Vibe but there isn't much in the way of helpful hints as to how to get the dern thing actually covering the TT. My concern is that there are several sticky ups on top of the trailer that are going to make just dragging it on a hard thing. Any hints or suggestions are welcome.

TIA
Steve Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #2

Here is a video, it shows one person doing it. What is not shown is what to do with the downspouts on your rain gutters. Some of the new covers have openings for them. If not, then you will want to take tennis balls, cut a slit into them and put them on the down spouts. If you don't the wind buffeting the trailer during the winter will cause holes, found that out the hard way.

paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

Downspout covers

Our new cover by ADCO included mini pouches to cover the downspouts eliminating the possibility of damage. This product exceeded our expectations
debj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by debj56 View Post
Our new cover by ADCO included mini pouches to cover the downspouts eliminating the possibility of damage. This product exceeded our expectations
I see you are in Northern Ontario, not sure of the definition of that is as some people in Toronto believe Newmarket is the far north....that said i am in Barrie, I thought of getting a TT cover as same company you are saying. in my mind the best way to protect an RV is to put it inside..the next is to cover it. I have heard covering it in hardware store tarps only causes condensation etc. What have you found with yours so far? Do you think it will with stand a Canadian winter? I believe it would be a cheap insurance policy to cover the trailer and securing the top, windows and seams from rain, snow and ice. Your thoughts?

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
2014 XLR 27HFS

Mine has zippers in all 4 corners. With those unzipped I lay it out flat on the ground (covers entire front yard). I fold the end flaps over flat onto the top section. Then bring the sides in 1/2 at a time twice then flop that onto the top section. At this point it is the exact size of the top section. Fold it in 3rds the long way. From the FRONT end of the cover start rolling it up. This is how I keep it stored when not on the camper.

So when I want to cover it, I put a tall ladder up the back of the camper, take the cover up and put it on the middle rear end of the roof . The hard part is over. You should be able to unroll it right down the middle of the roof, and start unfolding it in the same order you rolled it.

The only things I cover are the downspouts sticking out each corner. Cut open tennis balls and slide them over the downspout to protect it and your cover. Nothing on top has damaged my cover in 2 years. the only thing that has is the weed wacker getting too close.

If I never have a roof leak, it is worth anything I spend on covers. Living in Florida, I buy the best I can find.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

Dave961, I agree, you are in Florida with the issue of rain and I am in Ontario, Canada with issues of severe frost, cold, ice build up and if a few hundred dollars of material can protect my investment, I would sleep much better until spring. I just hate to waste money due to high tech videos and well worded ads which promise the world. Will $20.00 worth of polypropoline tarp do the same thing? Maybe a question for my insurance company.

Kevin
Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Yes, northern Ontario is Thunder Bay and our first snowstorm last night We also have a seasonal tt that we just recently purchased a similar cover. Especially when two/three feet of snow begins to melt, I'd rather know that it's not seeping into cracks etc. Prior to this our seasonal was covered with a poly tarp that previous owner fashioned into something with zippers.....did the same job, but without the venting and tie downs and extras that ADCO provides. A good weighted poly cover is still pricey for the length we needed ($150ish for 32 ft plus ends) so when replaced we went with ADCO. Our newest "overflow TT" for spring and fall adventures it was a no brainer to protect this new investment.
debj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

I bought a breathable cover for our HW. It snowed and the next day it was sunny. I wanted to get in trailer the next day and found out that water went through the cover and froze. This attached the cover to the roof and now the cover can not be removed with destroying the cover. I guess I will only use the cover at above freezing temps from now on. The first time I have covered one of my trailers. I should have known.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by debj56 View Post
Yes, northern Ontario is Thunder Bay and our first snowstorm last night We also have a seasonal tt that we just recently purchased a similar cover. Especially when two/three feet of snow begins to melt, I'd rather know that it's not seeping into cracks etc. Prior to this our seasonal was covered with a poly tarp that previous owner fashioned into something with zippers.....did the same job, but without the venting and tie downs and extras that ADCO provides. A good weighted poly cover is still pricey for the length we needed ($150ish for 32 ft plus ends) so when replaced we went with ADCO. Our newest "overflow TT" for spring and fall adventures it was a no brainer to protect this new investment.
Thunder Bay definately puts you in Northern Ontario and thanks for your comments. I am thinking of getting one, only makes sense to cover the TT for winter protection. Now that it is on, do you see upcoming issues with pressure points or rub points. I read in another string how they would fall apart due to abrasion...I get that nothing lasts forever...but not something I wish to replace each season.

Kevin
Old 11-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Site Team

I have permapro cover and have had others.
3 years no rips tears or damage to my unit. Cant say the same with others.
Light weight and the easy to install. Would recommend, hands down the best cover I've had or seen.

Rv permapro travel trailer cover

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

I live in the Seattle area and looked at a cover as a basic requirement. Putting it on and taking it off is a bit of a chore but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

During the summer I might decide to upgrade to covered storage but I couldn't justify an extra 160 a month, they also give hookups so you can keep it plugged in.

We will see. But yeah, cover is definitely worth it if you don't have a shelter over it.
barron.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover