Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

TT guide for dummies

I'm about to pick up my new TT and I was wondering if you guys wanted to give your input or .02 on some things. I looked for a sticky but couldn't find one using the app.

Mainly looking for must haves, nice to haves, tools to take with, specific things that make camping easier and/or better. Maybe certain techniques when setting up, cleaning up, etc.

Help a new guy out.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
I'm about to pick up my new TT and I was wondering if you guys wanted to give your input or .02 on some things. I looked for a sticky but couldn't find one using the app.

Mainly looking for must haves, nice to haves, tools to take with, specific things that make camping easier and/or better. Maybe certain techniques when setting up, cleaning up, etc.

Help a new guy out.
Type in "Start up Shopping list for Newbies' in the Search Box at Top! That will get you started ! Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
Just a member

Check out this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...it-107175.html

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Type in "Start up Shopping list for Newbies' in the Search Box at Top! That will get you started ! Youroo!!
Lot of night owls on this forum.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Lot of night owls on this forum.
HOO,HOO,! Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #6

Welcome

BTW: What are you buying? Make/model?

Should haves:
Head to a Harbor Freight and pick up a socket set, some screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, pliers, Crescent wrench in 3 sizes. Leather gloves and a small tool box that can stay in the TT all the time with these items inside. I also have zip ties, Gorilla tape (I find it holds better than Duck tape), some wire cutters and electrical tape.

Nice to have: Battery operated drill with drill bits and screw driver insert, some road flares or at least the orange triangle things to set out if you get a flat. I think the list KandI linked you to also has an electrical tester; nothing elaborate, just something that will tell you if the power is on or off without using your finger to find out.

After a few camping trips I found all sorts of things that I added to our trailer "just in case" only to remove some of them the next year when I considered the possibility of actually needing them vs. the weight I added.

Still, welcome and I hope you enjoy your RV as much as we enjoy ours!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
OldGuysRule

I've fallen in love with X-Chocks. Do the job to stop the trailer from moving, also very stable on setup. You can also run a lock through them for piece of mind when it's parked. A determined thief is going to find a way, but I like the deterrent.

Buy 2-3 headlamps, the kind on a headband with AAA batteries and put one in the glove box, one in the bunker with your chocks, and one inside the camper. It seems like 9-10 times when you try to bust out for a weekend you end up setting up in the dark on Friday night. Those headlamps have been a godsend.

Tool set is also good advice, as folks have stated. WD40 is always good to have on hand. Spray the TV connections to get better signal, lube up jacks and stabilizers, and works good to put a shine on a stainless steel fridge.

Box of rubber gloves. Dump out/sewer. Nuf said.

Oh and remember to take them off right after you hook up the stink pipe. No sense in trying to stay clean, then contaminating your tools and rig. Don't be "that guy". IE the ID ten T that hooks up his sewer with gloves, then using the same gloves hooks up drinking water. Guardia is painful vomiting and runs for a week and can kill you. Not camping fun....

I grabbed a set of those aluminium pyramid jacks. I have power stabilizers, but when I set up for seasonal, or a long period, I set the pyramid jacks on the frame near the wheels to take out the "bounce" of the suspension. A jack under the second step of your fold-outs helps stabilize the rig greatly. I'm a 300# mammal; I'm tough on anything that folds. Stairs, chairs, couches....

And I'm LOVING the GEO method for keeping the black and grey tanks clean. There's several posts on this. Start yourself out right. Water softener, laundry detergent and bleach. Clean, no odor and economical. Also, be sore that you aren't THIS guy either. THIS guy is the one that leaves his black-water open while he's hooked up. Sewer gasses from the camp system will back up and vent out your trailer (which stinks). And the solids in the black tank will settle while the liquids exit. Leaving you with the dreaded "brown mound". Not much fun for little Harpo.

Good luck buddy! welcome aboard!
Renegade837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade837 View Post
Oh and remember to take them off right after you hook up the stink pipe. No sense in trying to stay clean, then contaminating your tools and rig. Don't be "that guy". IE the ID ten T that hooks up his sewer with gloves, then using the same gloves hooks up drinking water.
I didn't know anyone else used the ID ten T error code! I usually write it ID-10-T, but this way will work also. And we do see some ID ten T folks during hook up and break down! Whoa...
Old 06-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
OldGuysRule

The other designator is technology specific. PBKC. Problem Between Keyboard and Chair......
Renegade837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Add to the above a hatchet, 1/2" drive torque wrench and a deep socket that fits your TT lug nuts. Have the coupons for 20% off and to pick up a free multi-meter on your way out. and
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
I Break Everything

I agree with everyone, do a search, there are tons of lists out there. Then add Beer to the list.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade837 View Post
The other designator is technology specific. PBKC. Problem Between Keyboard and Chair......
...wait! THAT happens to me sometimes! Hey!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post

Help a new guy out.

Before you spend, check what the dealer provides. Though we are experienced, our dealer threw in (even at the rock bottom price we chiselled them down to) a basic starter kit . Valterre EZ starter kit. Like $55 bucks on line. It had a set of rubber gloves, 30 amp to 15 amp plug adapter, a10ft sewer hose with drain elbow, FW hose, pressure regulator, round level for in frig, some chemical, two rolls of toilet,

Those are the basics to use the trailer. I ordered the extra matching 10 foot sewer hose extension and then my bottle jack , star wrench is in the truck. Then my normal stuff tools BBQ, tool box and of course chairs , camp table patio woven rug and away we go.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Retired

X2 to the list above
3 items my sons bought me which have proven to be great additions
18v drill for stabilizers w/ 3/4" socket
18v 1/2" drive Impact wrench for wheel lugs with 19mm deep socket
1/2" drive Torque wrench for wheel lugs

Enjoy your new TT
Happy Trails
Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #15

Try this site:

New RVer
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Try this site:

New RVer
Nice site! I'll have to look through this after work tonight! There are a lot of helpful sites out there for new RV'ers but how do you let them know BEFORE they do/buy something they don't need, can't tow safely, or do need? (rhetorical question)