Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
main bases covered pretty well

Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
That is quite the list!!

I will probably never get around to having all that stuff!

I agree
one heck of a list for just starting out
half of the fun sometimes is
figuring out while out there camping
one of those would come in handy next time

why over load and possibly over spend so early in the game

let us see what we truly are lacking

looks like you have your main bases covered pretty well

one buys everything as recommended by everyone on this site
best also buy a little pull behind trailer

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
There are RV checklists you can download to Android phones. Just search "rv checklists" at the Play Store. Not sure about Iphones. There are also many to be found on the web.

You may also wish to consider a hitch lock and a quick disconnect for your battery. Enjoy!

birddogfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Found "RV Checklist" for the iPhone. It has 4 of 5 stars and seems like a good way to go paperless.

Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
One other quick question... Do I need to get an awning cover for my slide out?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
Oh, now ya done it. You opened the proverbial can o' worms! The replies you'll get are:

- they're a waste of money, I've never had them and never will- I'll save my money for other things!

- they're a waste of money, I've never had them and never will and here's why/the problems that they'll cause

- I don't have them, but they seem like a good idea

- I have them and occasionally have issues with water puddling and a little flapping in the wind; I'd get them again, though. They save me from having to sweep off my slides before running them in

- I have them and have never had issues; I can't imagine ever no having them (note: this is where I stand)

I'm trying to remember if I've ever read of someone who had them and decided not to get them again. I vaguely remember one person who might have.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
daydreaming about camping
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
That is (unfortunately) not a quick question at all. It is hotly debated. Many people claim you absolutely need them to reduce the chance of debris on your slides. However, as most people do not have them, many people will point out it is yet another costly maintenance item that also makes a bit of noise in wind.

This is a personal choice. you will be fine without, but if you decide to egt the, you want to do it with initial purchase.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Thanks Jeep! I think I will follow you lead and skip it for now. I have spent enough as it is and just want to get the camper and then test it out in the driveway in early May.

Didn't mean to start a debate on the awning . I thought I learned my lesson on size of TT vs TV...oooooo nelly!

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback. Looking forward to the first camping trip with the family and a lot of positive memories!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
looks like birddogfun beat me to the list but I will toss mine out any hows
Out Side
Hoses(valves closed, filters, regulator I never remove from fresh water hose, Y-hose slitters)
Sewer caps and fittings(don’t forget the dump 90 and the caps on the bumper sewer hose storage)
Caps for Fresh water inlet secured
Stove vent(mine has clips to close for travel)
Electric cord(and you should turn off campgrounds electrical breaker before unplugging or plugging-in)
Awning (be sure to engage travel tie-down brackets where applicable)
External propane valve shut(for BBQ and such, not all campers have)
Propane Off(I don’t; I run my fridge on propane going down the road. Many people will tell you not to for safety and their not wrong. I have never had any problems)
Stabilizers up
Tools stowed
Truck hooked up(ball locked, safety chains, break away brake cable , electrical, WD)
Tongue jack up
Chocks out and stowed
Level blocks stowed
Exterior storage doors locked
Steps up , outside mat in
Door locked
In Side
Everything off counters and tables (we drop soaps and stuff into sinks, table caddie goes on rubber mat on floor)
Windows closed
Blinds up(my wall straps are cheap and broke so I just put them up so they don’t bang the walls)
Secure garbage can(we have a stand-alone and wedge throw pillows to secure it)
Empty dog water bowl
Vents down
tv antenna down(many people put a flag, clothes-pin, some indicator when they put it up)
Potty lid down
All soaps and shampoos in bottom of tub; off tub ledges
Hot water heater off
Heater to off
Water pump off
Fridge(travel bars installed, door fully closed tell latch catches, and check it switched over to propane)
Stove cover top down
Vacuum/broom secured
Counter extension down
All doors and draws fully closed and latched
Every camper is unique and each should be dealt with appropriately, I can imagine a toy-hauler trailer has its own issues.
Other issues I don’t have: Stove pilot off, propane off, slide –outs in and secured, satellite antenna, rocking chairs secured, tv strapped down, bike racks………………..
I have my kids fully check the camping spot for anything left out: trash, tools, bungee cords, toys, axe, walking sticks, kids treasures…….
After everything is done and checked off and when we’re ready to get on the road. I like to pull fully out of my spot and do one more walk around, kick the tires, look at TT to TV connections just double check I didn’t over look something. I zig-zag back through the site to be sure nothing was missed and the site is cleaner than when I arrived.
One I very often forget and should go on my list is the dog. More often than not I get 15min down the road and ask, “is the dog here”. Good thing she is smart, she is just too quiet.
Have fun and enjoy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
You should think about buying some custom made poles for your tie down awning. PM the OLDCOOT he has some that he designed and made for a great price, they are really nice and then you do not have to worry about the wind ripping your awning off. People who have gotten them say they are great, except Sid@daisyboykin. but he knows that they are are the best around.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
I was looking for these tie downs. I will reach out. Thanks for the lead!!!