Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

TT on order - What else do I need to get??

So I have a Coachmen 292BHDS Liberty Edition on order and I was advised to buy the following items...Excluding the obvious personal items, bedding and all the kitchen stuff, did I miss anything?

· (2) Valterra Plastic Carded Removable Anti-Siphon Valves
· Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
· NOAA Weather Alert All Hazard Radio
· Faucet Adaptor
· Valterra W01-4180 1/2"X15' Gray Flushing Hose
· Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
· Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' RV Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fittings
· Dolphin Manual Drinking Water Pump
· Fiskars 7857 X15 23.5-Inch Chopping Axe
· TIRE LOCKING X-CHOCK
· RHINOFLEX 45 CLEAR
· 45 DEGREE ELBOW W/GR
· 90 DEGREE HOSE SAVER
· 90 DEGREE WATER FAUC
· Hydro Life RV/Marine Exterior Water Filter Kit
· ELEMONATE GREY WATER
· TST GREEN SINGLES
· RV Levels
· Hi Flow Water Regulator
· Never-Kink Hose, 25' x 5/8"
· NeverKink RV & Marine Hose 50'x5/8"
· Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp
· Foam Rubber Sewer Seal
· Sewer Weights
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie

I would recommend a set or two of the plastic Lego leveling blocks. I have 2 sets for my 15' trailer and have considered getting more.

I would also suggest getting a 25' (or longer) extension cord rated for your trailers service (probably 30 amp)

Build a took kit specifically for the camper. Complete with fuses, wrenches, screwdrivers...

This way, when you are at home you don't need to keep poaching tools from the camper to fix things around the house.

A bottle jack or small floor jack rated to lift your camper as there is not a jack that comes with the trailer for flat tires

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Always Learning

I was given a couple of cheap 20-30 piece tool sets that live in the camper. Literally the $15 or less "gift ideas" from Sears or something. I try to carry as little as possible to/from the camper in-between trips (knowing I'll forget something along the way)!

I don't see camping chairs and that sort of thing on the list. But, I assume that's in your "personal items" list.

I assume the NeverKink hoses are for your drinking water? Or, do you have a hose dedicated to drinking water for hooking to city water sources or filling your fresh water tank?

Since owning the camper, I've bought an air compressor, but that's not required. I like being able to top-up my tires before a trip.

I also like to carry a couple spares of things - bolts, R-pins, that sort of thing. Many folks carry common fuses that they may need. Some folks carry many more spares (to the point, I don't know how they fit it all in! I'm jealous of their jenga abilities!).

What do you have for leveling the camper side to side? I carry a combination between the Lynx blocks and some 2x10s and a couple of pieces of 1x6s (I might even have a piece or two of 1/2" plywood). Unless you have a leveling system, you need to level the TT using something under the low tire.

I'm looking around in my head of the other stuff in our basement storage... not sure what else is down there!

Have fun!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

Okay...thus far I am missing...

- Tool kit with fuses and all the other goodies that go into a tool kit (forgot about this one, so thanks).
- I forgot that I had the Lynx “Stop N Chock” and I have a 10pk of the Lynx Levelers.- I need to add wood blocking

Anything else?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
So I have a Coachmen 292BHDS Liberty Edition on order and I was advised to buy the following items...Excluding the obvious personal items, bedding and all the kitchen stuff, did I miss anything?

· (2) Valterra Plastic Carded Removable Anti-Siphon Valves
· Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
· NOAA Weather Alert All Hazard Radio
· Faucet Adaptor
· Valterra W01-4180 1/2"X15' Gray Flushing Hose
· Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
· Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' RV Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fittings
· Dolphin Manual Drinking Water Pump
· Fiskars 7857 X15 23.5-Inch Chopping Axe
· TIRE LOCKING X-CHOCK
· RHINOFLEX 45 CLEAR
· 45 DEGREE ELBOW W/GR
· 90 DEGREE HOSE SAVER
· 90 DEGREE WATER FAUC
· Hydro Life RV/Marine Exterior Water Filter Kit
· ELEMONATE GREY WATER
· TST GREEN SINGLES
· RV Levels
· Hi Flow Water Regulator
· Never-Kink Hose, 25' x 5/8"
· NeverKink RV & Marine Hose 50'x5/8"
· Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp
· Foam Rubber Sewer Seal
· Sewer Weights
That is quite the list!!

I will probably never get around to having all that stuff!

One thing I did not see however was a 15/30 amp connector (your dealer will probably give you one, as well as a water regulator and probably cheap sewer hose.) And some extension cords. I have found that with my current trailer I can hit the park electric pedestal with the supplied 20ft or so. But with my old one I needed a little more, so have an extra 25ft 30 amp cord. I also carry a 50ft regular extension cord in case I need something outside the camper and a work light.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Okay...thus far I am missing...

- Tool kit with fuses and all the other goodies that go into a tool kit (forgot about this one, so thanks).
- I forgot that I had the Lynx “Stop N Chock” and I have a 10pk of the Lynx Levelers.- I need to add wood blocking

Anything else?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

The neverkink hoses are for drinking water. I have a flushing hose (gray hose) and Lynx Levelers. I now need the following…
- I need to add wood blocking
- 30 amp connector (supplied by dealer)
- 30 amp extension cord
- 50’ extension cord

This list is long

Rick
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Always Learning

My take on the extension cord was that I'd buy it if I needed it. I don't camp in remote enough areas that an extension cord wouldn't be more than an hour away. I never needed it on my pop-up and haven't needed one with my fifth wheel. Though, I do now carry dogbone adapters to get me from 50amp to 15amp and I carry 50' of heavy duty extension cord.

Just my way- your results may vary.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
MI Camperz

Add to the list a nice camp matt (large area rug size)...it will reduce trafficking of mud and dirt into camper. Also, when you take your first steps out in the morning you don't have to set foot onto cold dewy grass. I'm too lazy to constantly be putting on shoes.

Folding directors' chairs with side table and drink holder. Easier than using your lap or ground at the campfire if you're snacking and having something to drink.

bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

A couple more things...

* A water filter for your incoming hose. Cheap at Walmart.
* As Jeep said, a water pressure regulator for your incoming hose. You do not want to blow lines inside the camper
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #11

You sound like you have it under control, Seems every trip I make I think of something else. Start with what you have which sounds great then add on as you think of something that would make it easier for you, and then count your money, your list could be end list. You have alot more then I started with already. Most important is have FUN....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Professional Texan

Today I unloaded a 28 foot TT that I have had for 7 years. I'm getting a new one on Monday.

I was shocked at all the junk I had in the trailer. It was about 3 pickup truck loads of stuff I thought I might need when I bought my first trailer. I hope that all of it does not find its way back in my new one.

That said, you have a very good list. I really like my Lynx Blocks. After you been have out a few times or in one year. Take an inventory of everything on board and unload all that you don't need.

My rule of thumb is except for a few basic tools and supply items if I don't use it on most trips and I can buy it at Wal-Mart in an emergency, I don't haul it around.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #13

I like the Walmart rule! All the stuff on the list seems like it will be used on a regular basis, but I have NEVER done this before. The whole family is excited, but if I watch another YouTube video on emptying a black tank, I might shoot myself.

Actually, I might shoot myself if after watching these videos I still screw it up the first time. I am nervous about flushing the dreaded black tank...

We have our first (4) trips planned

First Trip - Driveway
Second - Wisconsin Dells
Third - Central Illinois
Fourth - Branson, MO
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Always Learning

Same here about the black tank but it really has been a non-issue! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #15

Wow what a list. Great start.
Horns07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
Adventurer

A bottle opener and a cork screw!
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #17

Bottle opener, cork screw and a kegerator (don't I wish!).

What about walkie talkies for the wife and me? Figure it might help when backing into a spot. If not, do they make wireless backup cameras you can put on the back of the TT?

Rick
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Always Learning

Wife and I tend to use our cell phones instead of walkie talkies because the truck has Bluetooth and is hands-free for me. Plus it's synchronous 2-way without having to push a button.

We still carry walkie-talkies, but it's mostly used by our daughter as she's out bike riding.

And yes- lots of options for backup/rearview cameras. If you go wireless, t seems you need to spend as much money as possible to have good performance. Or so I've read.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Explorer

Congratulations on the new camper and the new adventure.
Fridge spring-loaded travel bars, these hold everything in place bouncing down the road. The more you pack the pantries full the less things will shift, tip over and fall out when the door is opened. But my fridge seems to hourly change and the adjustable bars hold it all tight and in place. You will soon learn to open every door very slow with one hand underneath.
“Close-Up List” this is the cheapest needed item that will save you the most financially and in stress/hart-ache. With every new camper I make a new Close-up List, I set the camper up in the front yard with everything out(hoses, electrical, stabilizers, tv antenna, vents, water pump on, windows, blinds, awning……) Then I have the wife follow me around and she makes a list while I stow every everything(grey/black valves closed, water regulator removed and stowed(found several of these), water pump off, propane off(I don’t but safer), vents down(unless you have travel covers), tv/satellite antenna down, awning secured, storage doors locked ………… ). Get a pattern when you close-up, when the wife is with us she does the inside and I do the outside. The Close-up list will evolve the first couple trips and then after 30 or so I used it less.
Could even make a Set-Up list; my sister and her husband scare the **** out of me when I watch them unhook the TT before chocking tires. I have even seen my sister pull chocks before hooking up to the TV. Can only talk politely to them so many times, I just don’t watch anymore.
I love every part of camping; slow down, organize and enjoy, this is my life
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #20

John,

I would not even have thought of "set up" and "close up" lists. In fact, I think this might be one of the best ideas anyone has given me, so THANK YOU!

I have never camped in a camper and have not camped much at all, so I will make sure I put these checklists in place.

If you have a "set up" or "close up" list, would you mind sharing it with me? I have no idea what I should do first, second, third, etc.

Rick