Old 09-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
Originally Posted by camperboy View Post
everyone that I know that has upgraded from a TT to a fiver has went up in mpg, not down. probably due to the better aerodynamics of the fiver being tucked closer behind the cab
I agree with this. I actually gained on average about 1 1/2 miles more per gallon and I actually came from a 16' toy hauler bumper pull to my now 37' 5'er.

2015 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351-THSS 37' Toyhauler
2013 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 Kodiak Brown Metallic w/18k Superglide hitch and Air Lift rear air ride

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 AM   #22
We have had at least 10 TT's and 3 motor homes and this is our first 5th wheel and love it , feels so good on the road and you don't worry when you see that big rig coming around you . Trust us you will love it

14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #23
As others have mentioned...... Be sure to do a "test pull" when hooking up to verify the fifth wheel is actually locked into the hitch. I would do this with the landing gear still down but taking little to no weight. We have seen the damage a fifth wheel can do at a campsite close by when our neighbour newbies hooked up and drove off without a test. Upwards of 5000.00 damage to 2015 Ford half ton truck and likely damage to King pin etc. to say nothing of the embarrassment and hassle. When we left 2 tow trucks were still tending to the mess. Lesson learned the hard way. Burn that image into your brain and always do a test pull before driving out of the campsite.
Dave and Joanne
Southwestern Ontario
2013 Silverado 5.3 Tow package 3.73 super springs Reese 16k
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
A lot of good suggestions........ WARNING once you go with a fifth wheel you will never want to go back to a bumper pull ..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
A lot of good suggestions........ WARNING once you go with a fifth wheel you will never want to go back to a bumper pull ..........

Obviously not a universal statement as I just went back to a travel trailer from a fifth wheel. I am very pleased with the transition. The towing dynamics going forward are different but not black/white as described in other posts. Where there is a big difference when hooked to your tow vehicle, is when backing up. The TT responds much quicker and is easier to position on a dime as opposed to backing a fifth wheel. I like the idea of not having a heavy hitch in the bed of the truck, using the extra space in the bed of truck for storage, everything on one level in the TT and the need for a 1/2 ton versus a 3/4 ton or bigger for a fifth wheel. Typically, for the same features, fifth wheels are more expensive to purchase than TT.

Like all other comments here, these are just my opinions. Remember, opinions are very subjective as we, by human nature, need to justify our decisions.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #26
My experience and situation better suit a TT. 5th wheels are great on the pavement, but get too high and too big for dispersed campsites out here in Idaho. If I were park camping I'd go 5th wheel all the way. But as soon as I get off the pavement and start roughing it, the 5th wheel starts to show some weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prestonj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #27
Off road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442445172.762442.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	88934

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #28
Alot of issues about moving up to a 5th wheel, one thing is the truck to pull. I have read differing opinions on box length and I guess it is all about cab clearance. It would be nice to have the shorter box which would make the wheelbase shorter. Does wheelbase make any difference pulling the 5th wheel?

2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Originally Posted by TxBgWood View Post
We were TT people and now we are on our first trip out with our 32' 2015 Wildcat. Installed is a Reese Goosebox, so that it would be compatible with the Flip Ball in my truck. The Goosebox has air chambers, where you can add air up to 50PSI. However, still feeling a bit of jerking as we pull. Is this jerking or bucking normal ?
Short answer is,no its not.We have run ours 6500 miles so far this summer and I can only think of maybe 5 times ours did it,always due to pavement misalignments that slammed the truck too.The gooseneck trailers (which is what you have now) Typically like a lot of ball or pin wieght as compared to a conventional 5th wheel. Our LQ horse trailer carried more or less 3000 on the ball,this was only a 29' oal trailer that wieghed 7000 empty.Ours behaves much better with a full load of fresh water (100 gal) or w/o the cart in the garage.Check your pin weight.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
I love towing my 5th wheel. Went from a 31 ft TT to a 41 ft 5th wheel. Gained 3 feet overall when hitched up! Tows great.

cstover is offline   Reply With Quote